Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Wasn't sure I'd ever see this day

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 06:53 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Wasn't sure I'd ever see this day

The wife, geared up and ready for her first lesson...

She did really well, even though I forgot a few of the beginner exercises...

The following users liked this post:
PSTOUT (10-16-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 07:38 AM
Welcome crew
Received 317 Likes on 295 Posts

Fantastic

Old 10-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like a lot of fun trips on in your future. Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit jealous. I can't get my wife near a bike.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:05 AM
Welcome crew

Man, it was a long time coming (3+ years) and every time I'd suggest it, she'd act very... ambivalent. She had zero interest in learning on a sport bike and really wanted me to pick up a standard. Would've been happy with something like a TU250 but none were around when I was looking. Having a low powered dual sport finally piqued her interest a little and I said (very kindly) I was not going to bring it up any more but that it would be a good skill to have, even if she only went out one time. 4 months later, she started mentioning it on her own. May never get beyond the parking lot stage but that's okay. I'm just happy she gave it a try. Now, on to my daughters!

Old 10-10-2021, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

When my was was a young teenager, she did a dumb young teenager thing and hopped on the back of a bike with her boyfriend. They weren't wearing any gear of course and they subsequently took a spill. No major damage but it put a fear into her that I can't shake for some reason.

I'd happily ride any bike to get her to on one as I know she'd love it but I've failed thus far.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

@Doc Samson Hey man, that's fantastic. My wife likes her helmet. So, what bike is that she's on? And what a beautiful area to get to learn to ride in with mountains and curves. I'm so jealous.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by hamlin6
When my was was a young teenager, she did a dumb young teenager thing and hopped on the back of a bike with her boyfriend. They weren't wearing any gear of course and they subsequently took a spill. No major damage but it put a fear into her that I can't shake for some reason.

I'd happily ride any bike to get her to on one as I know she'd love it but I've failed thus far.
Yeah, any eary "bad" experience, with no follow-up, can be VERY tough to overcome Perhaps an electric bike?

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
@Doc Samson Hey man, that's fantastic. My wife likes her helmet. So, what bike is that she's on? And what a beautiful area to get to learn to ride in with mountains and curves. I'm so jealous.
I was super pumped when she suggested it but tried to keep my enthusiasm in check!

It's a CRF 230 M (super moto) so light weight and low powered!

Yes, very fortunate! So many fun back roads and I'm only about 15 miles from the entrance to Skyline Drive. I haven't taken the 230 up there yet but there more than a few "service only" roads up there I'm eager to explore...

Old 10-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

How did you come across that particular bike? Was it local or through a friend maybe?

Old 10-10-2021, 01:06 PM
Welcome crew

Obsessive watching of Craigslist! It showed up one morning and was a little over an hour away. I mentioned it to my wife, even though it was a little higher priced than I was willing to pay. She took a look and gave her "seal of approval", i.e. didn't say "Ew, no!" Lol.

So, I watched it for a little over a week and the seller dropped the price by about $300. I figured if he was dropping the price in this hot market, either something was wrong with it or he really wanted it gone. After talking with him and taking it for a ride, I was able to get him to lower the price another $200 and here she is!

I did have my mechanic go over it and he said the PO had really messed up the airbox and jetting but that, overall, it looked to be in good shape. Biggest issue is that it does burn some oil, but I can live with that for now!

The following users liked this post:
IDoDirt (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 04:21 PM
Welcome crew

Meant to mention that since I bought it, the market has opened up and I am now seeing a lot of 250's and 300's for sale, if you are interested in a road trip!

Kind of wish that I'd waited because a few extra cc's would be nice, but the prices are still so high! She'll hold 60 mph going up the mountain I have to cross on my commute but it is definitely maxed out!

Quick Reply: Wasn't sure I'd ever see this day