Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Blackbird rebuild thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blackbird rebuild thread.

Hi all,

Some of you knew I bought a 1997 CBR1100XX in the first week of July and had a slippery lowslide after only 5 days (1000km) of owning it. (Click here to see the thread.)

I am now in the process of fixing/rebuilding it and I'll post my progress as I go along. Even though it has nearly been a month since I crashed, due to just having bought the bike, 3 piece hardluggage + racks, alarm, scottoiler camping stuff etc. I didn't have the money to put it back together.

Here is the bike after the crash:

I then removed all the fairings:

I ordered a cheap alternate cover since this one was split, spitting oil all over the bike. I gave it some high temp black paint and clear and it look good as new (might have a pic of that, not sure). She got some fresh oil and started up the first try!

Removed the upper stay since that's one of the things that I need to straighten (plus subframe):

First things first, put some new adjustable levers on her! They are black but look different due to them being so nice and shiny.

Removed the subframe, she looks like an angry bull:

This is where I am now. I bought a vice to try to straighten the subframe (although it might be too big to be useful..) and I discovered a slight leak at the coolant pump. I'm hoping it's just a seal leak or perhaps a loose drain bolt or something. Fingers crossed!

I had to undo the headers to change the oil filter so since it's semi off, I'm going to get a slight crack at the end of the right header part that the exhaust slips over welded by a friend. Sand the thing down and hit it with some high temp paint to keep it from rusting again. I'm also going to high temp paint the exhausts black (plus clear).

More to come!

Attached Thumbnails Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110730_193657.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img-20110730-wa0007.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110801_172452.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110801_204037.jpg  

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 08-02-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff, seems like everything moving along nicely, keep us posted.
Those upper stays can be a real pita, well at least mine was lol. We Ended up using the end of a block of wood and a hammer, with couple of good hits in the right spot it straightened out fairly easily.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Good stuff, seems like everything moving along nicely, keep us posted.
Those upper stays can be a real pita, well at least mine was lol. We Ended up using the end of a block of wood and a hammer, with couple of good hits in the right spot it straightened out fairly easily.
Thanks. I was looking at the subframe and fairing stay and started wondering how the hell I was going to get it straight... I'll try your suggestion because I think the vice might be too big to be useful.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 AM

Progress:

Got the front rim, upper stay and subframe in:

Looking more and more like a bike (the battery try is also already on there). I'm also looking at a dent removing kit on ebay. I'm just not sure it's going to be strong enough (with hot glue) to get the dents out. It's cheap enough to try though.

Scrubbed the headers and used some kind of gel against rust which did quite a good job. I then painted it with high temp black and clear paint. It won't cure properly after a couple heat cycles though. I ordered the headers and exhaust gaskets but I haven't received them yet. I'm also going to high temp paint the exhausts black.

Painted the rim (still needs some clear). Yes I painted the tire too, it came with the rim and will be thrown away anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_145212.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_183746.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_200202.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_201720.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_154813.jpg  

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 08-09-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 AM

Passenger pegs primed:

First layer of black. Will probably do two more layers and then a couple clear coats. I will also do the rearsets but with a harder paint.

Attached Thumbnails Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_211300.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110808_200145.jpg  

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 08-09-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Wow ! ...looks like you are doing a nice job on her !
Great pics !!
Dunno about the dent remover though ?? those dents are very close to creases !
When the dents are shallow they will be able to be popped , but once they actually go deep enough , they tend to crease the steel ...

You might pull some of the indentation out , but om not sure if they will pop out ?? You might still have quite some hand repairing to do if they budge ...?

I think one of the positives that comes out of a minor crash , is that when you strip them (as you have done) you get too clean and re paint everything that comes off ....I personally love that side of this sort of thing ! ..
but she is looking real nice ! well done mate !
Thanks! Now that the subframe, batt tray and gauges are on again it looks more and more like a bike. Progress felt a bit slow but that was mainly due to waiting for funds and parts. I'm waiting for a few things and I'll be quite close to finishing her up enough to be able to use.

I don't expect the dents to pop out (although the big one is quite smooth) but I don't want to put a bunch of filler in it now that might fall out. I would like to get the dents out a little bit (at least the big one, I'm pretty sure I can fill up the smaller ones) and I was going to repaint anyway.

I guess having a fresh start is good but I'm doing things now that I would have done anyway (but for much, much less money. Parts would have cost me much less than in the US. I've seen some insane low prices on eBay!).. It's just that since I'm waiting for stuff I can spend more time on it. It is a good way to get to know the bike because working on the F4 so much is how I really go to know her in and out. Once the Bird is up and running I'm going to repaint the F4 and do some minor repairs. I used cheap paint when I rattlecanned her (just to try it) and the paint looks tired. She's going to look great with some fresh paint on her.

It's too bad that laying her down prevented me from going on my tour. I'll go anyway, but just not sure when and it might take quite a bit more.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Looks good man nice progress, New subframe should make things a bit easier.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Nice!! Hope you stil get to go

Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Update, I worked on it a LOT this weekend (Friday and Saturday from noon till 2 am and a few hours on Sunday).

SPY 5000 Led light position:

SPY 5000 alarm finished and started on the Scottoiler, lube tube and dual injector:

Done with the Scottoiler:

Swapping over the rotors on the new rim (with nice new paint). I'm putting a different front tire on it next week because I don't trust the one I had before and the one that came on the rim is years old I'm sure.

I tried to glue the upper cowl last night but I'm missing too much plastic (around where the mirrors are mounted) so I'm ordering an aftermarket one which I'll need to paint. I'm still waiting for the mirror brackets too. The side fairings will be worked on tomorrow and also the mounts for the headlight need fixing. I'm nearly done!

More to come soon!

PS: I also ordered a dent removal kit from ebay. I hope I can get the dents out a bit more.

Attached Thumbnails Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110813_162742.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110813_163011.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110813_214056.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110814_002811.jpg   Blackbird rebuild thread.-img_20110814_193220.jpg  

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 08-15-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Blackbird rebuild thread.