Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Bike hit bicycle at Mulholland

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this a couple days ago... classic target fixation. Look where you want to go, not where you are going!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM

i did road/ mountain biking for 5-6 years and it was my only transportation for that period of time when i lived in the city. i know how thrilling it is. i always stayed off busy roads and or would get off the road when cars came by. its just plain stupidity too ride bicycles on any road that there is heavy traffic and think its safe or a good idea. been there, done it once, never again. and ive seen it happen countless other times.

also, when they made the law that bicycle riders go with traffic they did not have the bicyclist's safty in mind. if you ride against traffic at least you can see on-coming traffic before it actually hits you and swerve or get off the road. (call it against the law but, it'll save your life while riding around heavy traffic areas). if people want to ride in the roads with traffic, be prepared to get hit eventually. there are too many careless/ inexperianced drivers/ riders, people who dont pay atttention, or either people who just plain dont give **** out there. just my experiance

Last edited by cBrentb; 05-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^The video didn't exactly look like a heavy traffic situation.

I ride road bicycles a lot, that's what my SN is all about. I usually put more miles on them each year than I do on my CBR. I try to ride roads that have less traffic but that's not always an option. I stay as far to the right of the paved surface as I can. I never ride against traffic - that's for pedestrians!

You're another vehicle on the road. Accidents do happen but as long as you follow the rules of the road you can minimize the chances of those things occuring.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM

people will continue to ride bicycles on the roads with motorist and they will continue to get hit and hurt or killed. this law aside just for minute, i dont care what anyone says if this dynamic duo where riding against traffic in this situation the guy would not be in a stretcher going to the hospital to pull a red motorcycle front fender out of his ***. the cyclist where clearly hit off guard. if they where going the opposite direction they would have seen it before it was too late....again, for me, common sense will rule the day. distracted drivers have proven not so trust worthy now a days anyway, if you know what i mean.

example= stay off popular crowded highways and if you do ride them, ride slowly against traffic and/ or off the shoulder of the road so you can see whats coming and avoid collisions. or you can ride bicycles on busy highways while looking at the birdies and whisling dixie and get ur *** run over. also in the vid i see people on side of the road chilling, video taping ect, cars, bikes, cycles, cops going by, it also looks like it might be a mototrist destination to travel to just to drive on for fun. that fits the definition of busy or heavy traffic.

point is, if your aproaching a moving object from the front you can keep your eyes on it the whole time. if it swerves at the last second you will have time to move out the way. if a moving object aproaches from the rear (thats way heavier and way faster than a bicycle) you can only catch glances in a mirror or constantly be turning your head around to look back (which is not smart at high speeds on a paved road on a road cycle if you should run off the edge of the pavement) and you still cant tell the exact distance or speed of the aproaching object or whether the object is gonna swerve off the road into you at the last minute or not. this law looks good on paper though....if people get hit while riding bicycles on certain roads its their own fault. as an experianced cyclist and lover of the sport, id find a better suited route myself, i'd say my life is worth it.

Last edited by cBrentb; 05-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 AM

In many states it is illegal to ride against traffic. All vehicles are supposed to yield to pedestrians at all times. This butthead on the motorcycle was not in control of his vehicle. I hope the bicyclist sues his *** off.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow!

It's as if he lined up the bikes. You can see him sit up just before he collected the bike riders. He had heaps of room to lean harder into the corner.

Target fixation indeed!

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 05-02-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Not just target fixation, also a goodly dose of dumb ****.

It is always the responsibility of the driver going forward to travel at such a speed that he can stop in the clear distance ahead of him.

Lets just replace the bicyclists with Mattsons truck in double low gear as he grinds up a steep incline.

Would anyone blame Mattson if some motorcyclist crashed into the back of him as he ground his way up the hill, keeping as far to his side of the road as he could?

I think not.

I will quite happily stick my hand up and admit to being no big fan of bicyclists, but I am also not a big fan of people that ride beyond their capabilities and turn their brain off when they get on a motorbike.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cBrentb
people will continue to ride bicycles on the roads with motorist and they will continue to get hit and hurt or killed. this law aside just for minute, i dont care what anyone says if this dynamic duo where riding against traffic in this situation the guy would not be in a stretcher going to the hospital to pull a red motorcycle front fender out of his ***. the cyclist where clearly hit off guard. if they where going the opposite direction they would have seen it before it was too late....again, for me, common sense will rule the day. distracted drivers have proven not so trust worthy now a days anyway, if you know what i mean.

example= stay off popular crowded highways and if you do ride them, ride slowly against traffic and/ or off the shoulder of the road so you can see whats coming and avoid collisions. or you can ride bicycles on busy highways while looking at the birdies and whisling dixie and get ur *** run over. also in the vid i see people on side of the road chilling, video taping ect, cars, bikes, cycles, cops going by, it also looks like it might be a mototrist destination to travel to just to drive on for fun. that fits the definition of busy or heavy traffic.

point is, if your aproaching a moving object from the front you can keep your eyes on it the whole time. if it swerves at the last second you will have time to move out the way. if a moving object aproaches from the rear (thats way heavier and way faster than a bicycle) you can only catch glances in a mirror or constantly be turning your head around to look back (which is not smart at high speeds on a paved road on a road cycle if you should run off the edge of the pavement) and you still cant tell the exact distance or speed of the aproaching object or whether the object is gonna swerve off the road into you at the last minute or not. this law looks good on paper though....if people get hit while riding bicycles on certain roads its their own fault. as an experianced cyclist and lover of the sport, id find a better suited route myself, i'd say my life is worth it.
I have been an avid cyclist since late 80's, I've pedaled coast to coast as a teenager, camping on roadside and the cycling skills learned from being a bike messenger in SF CA and SEA WA had saved me numerous times while riding a motorcycle. I have clear understanding of legality of cyclists on public roads and following the traffic laws. I understand that there are cyclist who behave badly on public roads and project bad image for the rest of cycling community.
All public road users should consider, when you are operating a motorized vehicle it should be common curtecy to yeild or offer way for human powered vehicle for the simple reason that they peddling, more than likely have no or less protection from weather conditions and physically preoccupied rather than sitting in air conditioning/heat or twisting a wrist to propel forward.

Cyclists who run stop signs do so at their own risks, just as motorists who cross double yellow lines to pass slower traffic, I do both and always considered my environment prior to execution.

That said, bicycles have to be on any public roads just as any other motorized vehicle.

I have the motorcyclist in the video get charged for vehicular assault, license taken away for a good amount of time and hefty restitution for damaged properties. No one deserves to get hit from the rear, especially bicyclists or pedestrians on public roads.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, I've ridden both motorcycle and bicycle on Mulholland drive, there are plenty of roads more twisty than Mulhollan; just more idiots tend to operate on it when population density in surrounding area is so dense, plus those people tend to have more money than sense.

Quick Reply: Bike hit bicycle at Mulholland