Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ortega Highway??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ortega Highway??

Anyone ever make the run from orange count to lake elsinore on ortega hwy? i've heard different counts on how the trek is. some say it is a very dangerous run while others say it's safe. what do you say?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Ortega Highway??

I have made that run and thought it was great. I used to make that drive a lott when living in California. It can get a little bit scary during the early morning and evening hours. I think people forget how to drive when coming and going from work.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's scary cause the roads are non-standard lane widths and do not have the minimum site distance required for curves. so skinny lanes topped with bad visibility and cagers that always cross the DY, the road is dangerous, but it is nice though!!!
i used to hit it up every weekend until my friend passed away there last june. been there like 2x since then.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:10 PM

Hmmm....If there wasn't so many cops looking for sportbikes to pull over and give you tickets then that road would be great. A couple of sundays ago a small group of us went riding, well to our dismay we ran into 6 CHP's wanting to ruin everyone's fun. It's a hit or miss type deal. I try not to ride that road to much, one is I lost a very good friend and the other way to many idiots out there. Three of my favorite places around here to go.
1. Angeles Crest Highway
2. Malibu Canyons
3. Glendora Mt Road (GMR)

Well be safe, and I am off.....

Semper Fi
Mark

Old 01-06-2006, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: CBR1000RRMARINE

Hmmm....If there wasn't so many cops looking for sportbikes to pull over and give you tickets then that road would be great. A couple of sundays ago a small group of us went riding, well to our dismay we ran into 6 CHP's wanting to ruin everyone's fun. It's a hit or miss type deal. I try not to ride that road to much, one is I lost a very good friend and the other way to many idiots out there. Three of my favorite places around here to go.
1. Angeles Crest Highway
2. Malibu Canyons

Semper Fi
Mark
hey big guy - msg me on yahoo esp if you're still looking for a full arrow sys
i havent seen ya in a while anyway

Old 01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CBR1000RRMARINE

1. Angeles Crest Highway
2. Malibu Canyons

Semper Fi
Mark
ditto mang! usually less coppers on saturdays.
you should try the SD roads...they are awesome!

Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM

I found a new place to me but I think its an awesome ride. Idyllwild is the place. its great road. Went today and no cops all fun. It was a giant loop we ended up on the back side of ortega. Overall very good road. Except the 6000 ft elevation and some snow, but the road conditions were superb. I am still looking for some riders to ride with my small little group. We all meet at a coffee shop in huntington beach cali. well take care

Mark

Old 01-08-2006, 07:20 PM

never rode ortega hear it is dangerous and to many police! i live in big bear lake the hwys leading into and out of here are nice rides no need to go far for me, bike torn down now for winter much needed maint ill be back on the hwys this spring

Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM

[sm=icon_rock.gif] I am always up for good canyon riding. I usually ride alone due to my inability to find people to ride with who are aware that you CAN utilize the ENTIRE SURFACE of your tire, not just strip of tire in the middle about as wide as a maxi pad (not that I have ever even SEEN a maxi pad, I'm not THAT old!) Anyway, let me know if you ever want to organize a ride. Actually, it'd be better to meet and go on a short onefirst. I'm not picky, as long as I can ride my bike I'm a happy girl. [sm=happy046.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5343/393257E843A84EC5912FDF67DEC37A72.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 AM

Depends on the time of year, o' course. I personally have the most fun going up to Big Bear ever since they re-paved the roads (except after it snows, then there's too much gravel to be able to go all out) the turns are very comfortable and visability is superior to most. This route has such good conditions typically, that I am pleased to report my second time ever scraping my knee (I am not including the times I shoved my leg out as far as I could [sm=loser.gif] ) on the ground.....on purpose..... =) A lot more fun than trip from OC to Lake E, but that's just my humble opinion!
ORIGINAL: patas75

Anyone ever make the run from orange count to lake elsinore on ortega hwy? i've heard different counts on how the trek is. some say it is a very dangerous run while others say it's safe. what do you say?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5343/F36F43E5A277429EB530B577400BB7F3.jpg[/IMG]