Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Five days on a CBR

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Five days on a CBR

So - I'm working on a road trip report - the ultra short version is that I packed up my F4 and dragged a buddy of mine from Halifax Nova Scotia, through New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York and up to Ottawa, Ontario.

From there I met up with a different buddy - leaving the first guy at his new digs. Road up to Renfew, down through some fantastic back roads... testing the off road capability of the F4. When we passed a 3-wheeler we knew we'd gone far enough to take pictures.

From Kingston, I solo'ed the 1000 miles in 17.5 hours of ****-pouring rain back to Halifax to finish a documented SS1K.

For now I leave you with Day 5 - SS1k?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Default RE: Five days on a CBR

Woke up the regular time and started thinking about the SS1K. Was it possible? What's the weather like? Turns out that this is more a mental game than it seems at face value. 1000 miles - pushed near that distance several times.

Wes and I chatted over our morning coffees and it seemed like as good a time as any to start rolling. After the success the day before of Wes's Canadian Tire hi-vis rain suit, I figured that's where I'd start. Who wants to ride soaking wet?

I stopped in at the Canadian Tire in Kingston, got the suit (and many strange looks), got my starting receipt and called Wes. Anything I need to remember? Keep the receipts for everything, if you stop longer than 30 minutes get another receipt. Easy enough - I'm in the habit of marking all my receipts with mileage anyhow. (I'll do the math later but right I'll start the typing instead)

So - at 10:56 ET I got my starting Gas receipt. It was raining and hovering around 7C

2 hours in and my feet are soaked. I bagged my boots - tapped the toes - water proofed them before leaving Halifax, and on the tag is says "Water Proof" but no matter how you slice it - my feet were in puddles. I was cold. REALLY cold. Your mind wanders between getting home and having a hot shower, and calling it a day.

I rode until the reserve light came on in Montreal area. Stopped for gas and met my first gas station attendant. It is p!$$ pouring rain and a guy pulls up on a CBR. Saddlebags, tent, tank bag GPS and a high VIS rain suit. It almost demands the questions; where are you coming from and where are you going? Kingston - Halifax - <24 hours. A look of shock. Really? Don't you have to go slow in the rain? Not really - I have every confidence in these tires... and I know these tires can be pushed north of 200 in the rain, and I'm no where near that today.

A look of shock and bewilderment as I down my first hot chocolate and muffin. My only question? What's hot here?

That hot chocolate hit the spot. For the next 100km I was feeling great, the world was a better place and I knew I could do it. As the next 150km wore on I got colder and colder. I split my pants at this stage so rain was running along the gas tank, into the crotch of my rain pants, through my 'waterproofed' '100% waterproof pants' and soaking my jogging pants. I sat on a cbr in wet pants for the entire ride it seems.

I made it to Levy on this tank of gas, and had a minor re-route into Quebec city when my GPS kept saying go left young man. I did - and realized too late I was a lane too far left and was now on a bridge taking me into Quebec city, as opposed to bypassing it as I had planned. No problem, first exit, back over the bridge.

Gas stop 2 - Levy Quebec I grabbed a cup of cauliflower soup and hot dogs. It was warm and the Quebec police arrived and gave me an interesting lunch time show... not sure what had happened exactly, all I really understood of the talking was there was a repeat gas thief...

Off I went, and finally a hole in the clouds, the rain stopped and I saw my own shadow. Now I know I can make it... I'd checked the weather maps and thought if I got to Quebec in short enough order that I could get under the rain band.

Passing Rivier-du-Loup the rain started again - and by the time I made it to the Irving Big Stop at the NB/Quebec border it was hammering down loudly enough to trigger my AutoCom mic. The reserve light had been on 20km at that point so I was happy my geography held up to the test. Gassed up and went inside for a bowl of chilli. Unfortunately they were out of chilli so I had a big bowl of barley and beef soup - on the house. It seems that if you arrive in hi-vis, people know you're insane and want to do something to make it better... hot soup was the perfect cure. I unplugged the mic in the helmet - as getting at the vox setting was too arduous at this point (under my seat, which was under 30-40lbs of wet

Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 PM

The only pictures I have of the whole trip... next time I'll bring a helmet cam or something.
http://gallery.atpic.com/19866

Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats freeking awsome!!!! sounds like it was a great trip, you got some awsome pictures. what was all over your buddys bike, mud or bugs?? what was the red mark on your neck? was it from the wet strap? i will be going on a 5 day ride the 1st week in july w/my cousin, we still arent sure where we are going. i waunt to head down south but after seeing some of your pictures maybe we should head north. well looks like you had a trip to remember thanks for shareing.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM

You could spend a week in the NY/Vermont area easily... we missed so many good roads in an effort to get from A to B. Best day for twisty roads was from Lake George - along to the 10... up to Speculator, and up to Tupper. That whole section was good road, low traffic too when we were there.

Ya - wind burn and the wet strap.

The stuff on his headlight was chad flies - he hit a cloud of them - in 300 feet he got absolutely covered in one cloud of them... said it stunk too!

All of this was good:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en...e=UTF8&z=9

And this was REALLY quite fun - the gap was great!
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en...=UTF8&z=11

Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 PM

how were the roads? i would be a little concerned about all the wildlife crossing the roads especially at night. but i am a sucker for nice roads. well i hope my trip will be as good as your was.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 PM

oh ya! i forgot to ask where did you get your soft saddle bags they look realy nice. do they mark up your rear fairings? also how did you mount your GPS? i have a weather proof GPS but it did'nt come w/a motorcycle mount.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:22 AM

For the GPS mount I went to Ram Mount online... I brought the kit for my Nuvi which included a backing place,
a 3" arm, and a pair of *****. Unfortunately the second ball had a big round foot, so I knew that wouldn't work.
So I ordered a third ball with a diamond foot print.

I unbolted the tank - put the ball on top of the tank mounts and looked to see what I'd need to do. I had to grind
1/4" off the tip of the diamond to get it to miss the tank... and I had to stretch the holes with a larger drill bit to
get the tank bolts to line up.

After that I mounted the 3" arm on that bolt, and the backing plate and ball on top of that. Best picture of it is this one:

http://pic.atpic.com/874513

You can see the silver GPS sticking up between the speedometer and gas tank.

All of the bags are Cortech by Tour Master - and I got them from New Enough. All of the bags have a neoprene backing so they don't mark the bike up (unless you leave grit between the bags and the plastic)

Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 PM

thanks for the info, i'm going to check out the saddle bags. i will also check for a GPS mount for my bike, i only have 1 bolt at the top of my tank. i may have to fabricate something to fit my mirror stay bracket, i also need to mount my new camera system for my trip.
thanks again,
ron

Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 AM

looks like a fun time..i live in NY not far from there and im hopin to explore a little this summer

Quick Reply: Five days on a CBR