Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.

Any and all interested: I plan a stop at MidOhio Race Track, Lexington Ohio, for Super Bike July 21-22. Then travel north to the east coast of Michigan above the thumb and on to the UP. Pictured Rocks and all the way up to Copper Harbor. I'll return south down the west coast of MI and then back to the AMA Vintage weekend at MidOhio once again, July 27-29.
Let me know any takers for a track meet up or ride along any portion.
If you have some must see spot in the UP, share that too.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Question

Man I would love to do the UP ride. That is one of the places I want to ride to. Sorry but the 2 week notice is too short for me.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

757 miles from right here right now .............. could be done in a day

90. 271 . 71 .....on a Friday ................hmmmmmm

Trip ,or Divorce & or Unemployment ............ the options are stupendous
I'll have to see how much bribery it would take to get to do this !

Last edited by Sprock; 07-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Cheap at twice the price! Some well placed Sreech may do the trick...but remember, it's two for them, one for you.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
If you have some must see spot in the UP, share that too.
Copper Hill has the only ski flying jump in the USA. Unlike ski jumping, ski flying is much bigger jump and longer fly distance. It's located in the UP in Ironwood, MI below the thumb. The jump sits on top of Copper Peak. and can be seen from a distance. I was skiing up there and drove over to the base and looked up. Wow! In the winter they hill climb with sleds and as of a few years ago, no one has made the climb.

Copper Peak ski flying hill.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Solo ride to MidOhio Vintage races and the Michigan UP went pretty well. Trusty ol' steed didn't miss a lick and got many complements on the 2400 mile journey. Traveled to the race first weekend, rain most of the way there. The skies cleared for race action. I camped in the pits with some sidecar team friends. Sunday afternoon left the track and made it to a campround/marina in Point Au Gres on the Michigan east coast. Took Rt 23 on up to the Mackinaw Bridge,crossed over to the U-P and had a great lunch at Bells. Continued north on 123, 28, and 77 to Grand Marais. Campground there was right on the dune above the beach and walking distance to the local brewpub.
Ran up and down H58 a few times before a pause at Munising. Missed the boat ride to Pictured Rocks but I'll get that next time. Pretty view from the overlook above town. Moved on west on 28/41 all the way up to Copper Harbor. Another well located camp near a local craft brewer and the harbor park. Next day broke camp in the rain and got dumped on in route so bad I was wet to the bone and had boots full of rain. Stopped at Iron Mountain and took a hotel room to dry out.
In and out of spit on Rt 2 along the south coast of the UP with many good views of Lake Michigan. Crossed back into Mitten and took 119,the Tunnel of Trees. Very cool road, even better if it was dry. Harbor Springs is a really upscale pretty town and has a great little Polish resturant on the south end right next to the airport.
Headed further south on 31 to Traverse City and did the Rt 22 loop. Sleeping Bear Dunes are cool and they have a big hill climb competition there. Planned to camp there but first two camps were full and then the forcast was for rain starting in the overnight so pressed south till I ran out of sream and daylight stopping at a motel in Ludington.
Raining in the morning put a damper on my touring spirit so I decided to head for home a day early. Made tracks thru Grand Rapids, a zig-n-zag SE in Indiana and back to Ohio.

Attached Thumbnails Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.-100b6230.jpg   Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.-100_6334.jpg   Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.-100_6346.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Pics there Jimbo - bummer I could not join ya - ya know how it goes sometimes.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 PM

A few more Camp and Sunset at Copper Harbor and the Mackanaw Bridge.

Attached Thumbnails Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.-100_6368.jpg   Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.-100_6356.jpg   Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.-100_6380.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a nice ride. I wish I could have gone with ya.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Talking

Sounds like a good ride there Jim, except for the rain part. Good Pics. Maybe next year, i would like to do the UP. Just give me month heads up.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio & Michigan U.P.