CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   What should you do? #2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/what-should-you-do-2-a-139567/)

Kuroshio 06-24-2012 09:54 AM

What should you do? #2

Okay here's another one I think ppl encounter.

You're riding along behind a vehicle. You've got a good following distance, 2 secs or so between you, moving at highway speeds. Suddenly the lead vehicle clears a long crevice in the road your tires will get caught in. And changing lanes isn't an option.

So what should you do?

MadHattr059 06-24-2012 10:11 AM

Try to cross at as much perpendicular as possible. Something along the lines of an 's',
with the center of the 's', where the crack is. Basically like crossing rail-road tracks.

P.s. At "highway speeds", the correct follow is 1 second/10 mph. So if you're refering
to 60-ish miles/hour, you set yourself up for failure by following too closely for proper braking/avoidance.

Ern

Kuroshio 06-24-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1171681)

P.s. At "highway speeds", the correct follow is 1 second/10 mph. So if you're refering
to 60-ish miles/hour, you set yourself up for failure by following too closely for proper braking/avoidance.

Ern

You guys just love doing this don't ya :p

Actually I just finished the mandatory defensive driving course for work in Dec. Proper following distance is 2 secs, with Verizon mandating 3 secs.

regener8ed 06-24-2012 10:50 AM

correct answer = go up on one. the back tire is much wider and will simply straddle the crack. ;) :D

MadHattr059 06-24-2012 12:40 PM

Ok, Kuro, I'll give you most of the points here. Did some research and, of my findings,
only the National Truck Safety Board agreed with my (apparently, old school) rule of thumb.

Most sites called for a 2 second minimum, as a safe following distance, with additional
seconds added for various adverse driving conditions. Those sites included the MSF,
and my own Oklahoma Dept of Highway Safety.

Ern

estate4life 06-24-2012 10:51 PM

First when riding streets....follow the front car's track, there are two to choose from....I usually follow the left tire in position where driver can see me. If driver sees a pot hole, crevice crack....ditto, he'll try to clear it, and if one of his tire can clear it....you can too using either one of car's track line. Unless, crack is so huge and perpendicular.... Then you have no choice....you must get up off your arse and down shift increase speed, wheelie a little if you can. Most important is your front tire clearing it... Rear tire can take a beating....Kinda like jumping a dirt bike.......

yumoncbr 06-24-2012 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1171706)
Most sites called for a 2 second minimum, as a safe following distance, with additional
seconds added for various adverse driving conditions. Those sites included the MSF,
and my own Oklahoma Dept of Highway Safety.

Ern

I am a chicken. I would like to have like 5 secs, not exactly did a second counts. But I do give lots of space in front of me. People behind me must hate me, but I don't care. That's what I feel comfortable with my skill level. :icon_mrgreen:

Thank you for bringing these tread. How to stay on the wheels and be safe and well, brought to you by CBRF

NRWhiteKnight 06-25-2012 06:32 AM

I would change my lane position, if possible. Don't forget, A motorcycle can use three sections of a lane: The left track, the right track, and the middle. While changing lanes might not be an option, you should be able to move inside your own lane.

As for following distance, for vehicles with four or more wheels, madhattr is generally correct that the rule of thumb (if not written) is about 1 sec/10 mph. He is also correct, that the MSF specifies minimum following distance of 2 seconds, but keep in mind that the 2 sec rule is when all things are perfect, rider is not tired, bike is in proper working order, nice sunny day, etc. For your scenario, I will presume the two second rule applies, but more is always better. :-)