CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   What exactly is happening? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/what-exactly-happening-110137/)

Preid 05-05-2010 08:35 PM

What exactly is happening?

Ive been riding for 6-7 months now and Ive covered almost 8000 mile. Theres two things I experience which Im not entirely sure whats happening.

The first happens alot when its raining. Im driving in a straight line and I brake heavily. About 95% front and 5% on the rear. Now it feels like the back end is floating. I've managed to get the same rear floating effect round gentle bends aswel.

Second happens mostly when its wet but sometimes in the dry. If Im crusing at 70mph and im going round a gentle corner. When I hit the centre line and Im slightly on the power I get this sudden wobbling sensation. It only lasts a split second and Its like the snaking you get when youre hard on the power on offroad bikes.

Kuroshio 05-05-2010 08:47 PM

In the first situation is sounds like the back end is hydroplaning. You've loaded the front, the rear is light and surface traction is down because of the water / gravel.

Really dunno about the 2nd one. I can guess but it'd be an uneducated one. Maybe one of the racers?

Cory E 05-10-2010 12:08 PM

My experience on a bike is very new, but i have done a great deal of research before i even rode. Many road markings such as HOV symbols, Reflective Road Paint, and others have a different texture than the road and have different reactions to water. My guess is the center line's paint doesn't absorb moisture as much as the untreated road, causing a little slick spot in the road.

canhead64 05-10-2010 12:23 PM

the second part is due to the road actually being two pieces of pavement. you have left side and a right side. both are sloped towards the outer edge of the road creating a slight point at the centerline. if you ride the centerline you bike will "wobble" from one side tot he other. its just the tire going from one side hitting the peak and then hitting the slope of the road which is in the opposite direction as the first. the centerline is never perfectly straight either which is why you bike will always switch from one side to the other.

Preid 05-13-2010 03:56 PM

Ah I see

Thanks for the help!

NateDieselF4i 06-08-2010 06:57 AM

The Roads around here are pretty beat up in some places all the grooved and mismatched pavement can be quite dangerous and is not so fun.

any2wheels 08-07-2010 06:26 AM

If you've got no weight on the rear tire, you've got no traction and it'll definitely wobble on you. I'd suggest you check out some of the brake use sections for an idea of what other guys are doing.

As for the wobble you get when you hit the centre line when it's wet ... it's likely a traction issue. When I took my course six years ago, they told us to watch for road paint in the wet as it'll be slippery, just like you watch for tar snakes when it's hot.

revilingfool 08-14-2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by canhead64 (Post 919006)
the second part is due to the road actually being two pieces of pavement. you have left side and a right side. both are sloped towards the outer edge of the road creating a slight point at the centerline. if you ride the centerline you bike will "wobble" from one side tot he other. its just the tire going from one side hitting the peak and then hitting the slope of the road which is in the opposite direction as the first. the centerline is never perfectly straight either which is why you bike will always switch from one side to the other.

yep