Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What to do when someone tries to kill you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its right to get angry if someone tries to bully you off the road because they are bigger and heavier. Whatever their justifications though, they are breaking the law. A lot of cyclists here in the UK wear video camera's and record their daily commutes because of aggressive drivers, Its something worth considering because its evidence of who is in the wrong, give the footage to the police and let them deal with it.

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-24-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM

I normally try and avoid pissing off cagers. If its unavoidable I'd probably just pull over. If they just pass me, that's good....but if they pull over with me, I'm pretty confident I can take care of myself as long as they don't have a weapon. Carbon fiber knuckle guards can pack a mean wallop if necessary.

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-25-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: content
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 AM

For me "intent" would determine my action/ reaction. I've had guys in muscle cars come flying up on my rear wheel cause they want to race...not in a harmful way, they're just looking to have fun too...and I happily show them a dwindling taillight. I don't encourage that but I live for showing fast cars up. The flip side is a senior citizen out for the sunday cruise that "didn't see me". While definitely upsetting I would never ever follow them or get crazy outside of cursing them to the interior of my helmet and avoiding them to begin with if possible. I've been riding for 22 years now, 16 yrs on sportbikes and only once have I come against someone who I believe intended harm to me, possibly to steal my bike. I was forced off the road by a cager and his friends in pretty close to the middle of nowhere. I am a soldier ( Combat Medic), I am armed. I do not take actions like that lightly, these guys were not in distress or waving their arms for help. I got my tank bag open while slowing to a stop. Threw the kickstand down, dismounted and drew my weapon making sure they saw it. They immediately put the car in gear and drove away in what I would describe as a "serpentine" fashion. I turned and headed back the way I came, never saw them again. I guess my point is that most people are just not paying attention while driving and we bikers find ourselves in a near miss that requires some clean underwear right after.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fobwareagle
For me "intent" would determine my action/ reaction. I've had guys in muscle cars come flying up on my rear wheel cause they want to race...not in a harmful way, they're just looking to have fun too...and I happily show them a dwindling taillight. I don't encourage that but I live for showing fast cars up. The flip side is a senior citizen out for the sunday cruise that "didn't see me". While definitely upsetting I would never ever follow them or get crazy outside of cursing them to the interior of my helmet and avoiding them to begin with if possible. I've been riding for 22 years now, 16 yrs on sportbikes and only once have I come against someone who I believe intended harm to me, possibly to steal my bike. I was forced off the road by a cager and his friends in pretty close to the middle of nowhere. I am a soldier ( Combat Medic), I am armed. I do not take actions like that lightly, these guys were not in distress or waving their arms for help. I got my tank bag open while slowing to a stop. Threw the kickstand down, dismounted and drew my weapon making sure they saw it. They immediately put the car in gear and drove away in what I would describe as a "serpentine" fashion. I turned and headed back the way I came, never saw them again. I guess my point is that most people are just not paying attention while driving and we bikers find ourselves in a near miss that requires some clean underwear right after.
This is a great post. Well put.
I'm a former Marine, and also carry. I also look for intent as well.
I'm actually surprised because here in Middle Tennessee, drivers tend to be rather...stupid if you will. Not necessarily aggressive, but stupid; fast lane squatting, talking on cell phone, cutting across several lanes, etc. Stupid.
But ironically I see more stupidity in my cage than I do on the bike.

LOL...if that had been me, I would have waited until they stopped their vehicle and got out of it before I drew my pistol, then fired a warning shot as they were getting back into the vehicle...in hopes of getting one of them to ****/**** their pants; but that's just because I can be a huge ******** if provoked.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Bahaha^^..LOL Mike! You Marines are great...one of my best bros is an Army Airbone Infantry/E-7. Rides an R-6, but his second only to his kids passion is -runnin and gunnin- I know he would have done the same as you...prolly would have tried to get a round off from the bike!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fobwareagle
Bahaha^^..LOL Mike! You Marines are great...one of my best bros is an Army Airbone Infantry/E-7. Rides an R-6, but his second only to his kids passion is -runnin and gunnin- I know he would have done the same as you...prolly would have tried to get a round off from the bike!
LOL...we are like cheap toilet paper: rough, tough and don't take crap off anyone.

Joking aside. I'm normally a very calm, live and let live person. But if someone provokes me, I will go out of my way to ruin their ****.
It bewilders me that people keep forgetting this statement:

Don't mess with people, you have no idea what they might be capable of.

I chucked a handful of pennies at some dude in a Miata who almost caused me to wreck my 2005 STi back in 2010. Believe me when I say that the douchebaggery from his end was more than enough to warrant it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Im going to go the oppisite direction as everybody else and say...

Id flip him the bird and yell "learn to drive you stupid fck!!!"

If he wanted further confrontation I would take it as it comes. I have a right to defend myself in ANY way if somebody is threatening my life. And I will not hesitate.

And yes here in america anybody could be carrying a firearm, once again Ill take that as it comes.

Although when it comes right down to it everybody makes mistakes no matter how good you are at operating a machine of any type.

The way I would deal with the situation is wrong, but oh well thats just me and its something I have tried to work on my whole life

Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered Users
Default Daily Routine

I commute from my house in Northern NJ to NYC daily, weekly I deal with close calls ans AHoles with no regard for MC Riders, I generally just let the anger go and keep on keeping on, That is a Fight my Brothers, we cannot win, at the end of the day we are riding and enjoying life - smile and move on, until you can't any longer. Be Safe Brothers, we are out numbered.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM

Keep some nuts and bolts in your pocket. A cracked windshield would be the least of that guys worries if he tried to run me off the road.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sifiwiz
Keep some nuts and bolts in your pocket. A cracked windshield would be the least of that guys worries if he tried to run me off the road.
That would be really dangerous and criminal. Not to mention the ones that end up on the road and get flung up on another car or another bike. I wouldn't want to get something metal thrown up and hitting me in the face or ruining my fairings.

Don't be stupid.

Quick Reply: What to do when someone tries to kill you?