Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Went down for the first time about an hour ago...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went down for the first time about an hour ago...

About an hour ago I was coming home from work, I entered the freeway and there was some traffic. I was on the first lane and was going about 30 MPH and decided to change to the 2nd lane, as i looked over my shoulder I was about to change lanes the guy in front of me also changed lanes and i rear ended the left side of his bumper (the guy was driving an f-250).
I fling over to the left side to try to avoid him but didnt go to well. I flew a little to the left as i rammed into the bumper, luckily the bike didnt land on my leg. The entire front fairing is broken and ripped. My left mirror broke, and so did my clutch lever. Other than that my tail was a bit scratched.
As i got up a guy helped me bring my bike to the side of the road and luckily there was a ambulance right next to me when that happened. They stopped to see if i was okay and i was totally fine so i gave them the okay to leave.

The only thing that happened to me was a tiny rash on my left leg near my knee. about 1 inch in diameter. Some neosporin will take care of that.
I was wearing full gear, helmet - Leather jacket with padding, and a big jacket under neath that. I can honestly say that if i wasnt wearing my gear i'd be seeing a lot of red on my arms right now.

REMEMBER ALWAYS WEAR GEAR!!!!!! NO MATTER HOW HOT OR HOW COLD THE WEATHER IS.

Take care guys and god bless. Im glad to see another day

Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you are ok! Sounds like it could've been a lot worse. I'm a firm believer in wearing good protective gear. Yours definitely did its job. Hope you're able to repair your bike w/o too much trouble.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 AM

Thanks! I had new fairings laying around just incase something happened id have an extra one, got it for cheap on craigslist brand new.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

glad youre ok man. thats why i am planing on getting full gear for next season.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might see if you can find some Shift jeans. They have Kevlar reinforcement in the knees. Might skip the knee rash if it happens again

Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear you are okay Dude - Gear is Good !

Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Glad to see you are okay. Sounds like one of those accidents where the other driver was not watching closely enough before he started to move over. Fully agree on the need for full gear at all times as you never know what can happen.

Good luck on the repair of your bike.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

reading this post for the second time made me realize that i almost got run off of my lane yesterday. some dude tried to change the lane without the blinker while i was pulling next to him going about 5 miles an hour faster than him. it was too late for the brakes so i gunned it and let her scream. i guess the sound of the bike made him see me and he over steered back to the left almost taking out the car in the left lane. it just shows that ignorant people on the road just dont look in the mirrors. it was dark, how can you miss this bright *** headlight right in your mirror.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 PM

thanks for all the support guys, im glad i got to see thanksgiving :P

Kuroshio, yeah i've been looking at a few pants that have a lot of padding, its just going to be kinda hard wearing full gear when im going to work, because riding pants would look funny when im at my shop:P But if i go on trips that a definite that i will be wearing full gear.

scorpionvmu, i know exactly what you mean man, one time i was goin down a street and a car that was about to pull out on the right side look straight into my eyes and still pulled out right in front of me, i know she saw me because it was night time and i had both of my headlights on. Its ridiculous how careless some people are.

I've already got the whole fairings set up to be put back on but right now im going to remove the tail frame and paint it blue, the fairings are going to be black so hopefully everything will look pretty amazing.

By any chance is anyone selling a left bracket for the levers?(the part that holds the lever in place with the one major bolt) Mine snapped when i fell that day:O

Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistrkris
one time i was goin down a street and a car that was about to pull out on the right side look straight into my eyes and still pulled out right in front of me, i know she saw me because it was night time and i had both of my headlights on.
It has something to do with someone seeing you but since you are smaller than a car their brain doesn't perceive you as a threat and thus you're not really there. Happens to me occasionally on my bicycle. I just expect them to pull out in front of me and when it happens my reflexes are already cocked and ready.

Quick Reply: Went down for the first time about an hour ago...