Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

throttle blipping & clutchless shifting: fun or necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will clutchless up shift only while at WOT, say like while racing a friend, etc. Other than than I always use the clutch. I also always blip throttle/rev match while down shifting. I mainly started doing it because I liked the sound but now it's to make sure the back tire doesn't lock up, break loose, etc.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't downshift with out the clutch. I have learned to do it fats though to stay in the power-band and definitely with downshifting for curves,matching the engine with speed to help slow down with immediate response on pulling out of the curve.
My CBR/F up shifts beautifully for continuing acceleration with no lag. I think you have to learn the technique and do it instinctively and positively when you do it. The best way I can describe it is accelerate - blip off the throttle - shift at the same time -accelerate. It's a wonderful thing when you get it right and works whether you are looking for warp speed or just cruising along. Probably better practiced just cruising, the rate of acceleration could be a surprise. I did it once in a long sweeper and had a WTF moment:-)

Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

There's still no reason to go clutchless unless your shifting hard around a corner and have your foot out of reach of the shifter.

Unless you honestly think you move your foot whole faster than a couple of fingers, you lose nothing by doing both.

Now if you getting a "boost of acceleration" then actually your doing it wrong.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 AM

zaqwert6,not sure if you are referring to my post, but to maybe explain it further, when I am upshifting the only real movement is the quick on-off on of the throttle. When it is done I am preloading the shifter during the throttle transition so yes,it can be done faster than using the clutch. If you were listening to the bike it sounds like an automatic transmission with the engine constantly accelerating and yes,it keeps the bike continuously moving faster especially when done at speed. the WTF moment I was referring to was done in the powerband of my bike and the acceleration was amazing as I did it did it work? Always,I just chose an inappropriate time and wasnt expecting the result..

Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

What I was getting at was your hands are faster that your feet and you still have to shift with your feet so thats your bottom line as far as speed goes.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM

In my opinion the clutch is there for a reason and its meant to be used(for the street), not saying there is anything wrong with clutchless shifting i just think there are too many riders out there that think its easy and think they can do it but dont do it right and start stressing their gearbox.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM

clutchless upshifting is crucial in racing.

i can't tell you how many riders i've instructed at track days over the years who still use the clutch for upshifting.

now if we could just have the electronics for automatic blipping for clutchless downshifting....

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
I think that the passage you are refering to, is more about shifting to stay in the
powerband, than about how you get there. i.e. if you are slowing to a stop, don't
just pull in the clutch and wait till you stop, then downshifting from 4th to 1st...
Personally, I always 'blip' throttle/shift, up or down, to match RPM to tranny speed...

Ern
Are you saying that if a light turns yellow and you arent going to make it through even though your close, and say your going 40mph (casually cruising) when you see it turn, you will shift two or three separate times, as your braking, to get to first rather than pull in the clutch once and drop it down all the way (assuming you have checked your rear views and there is not a cager in sight).

I go from 3rd and 4th right to first all the time before the bike stops rolling.

EDIt: I guess you would want to down shift according to what speed you are at but most times i just slow down and do a quick 3 clicks (more like 5 or 6) I guess i just have some left over habits from dirtbiking and clicking a bunch of times just to get to first.

Last edited by Michaud85; 06-27-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM

I wont speak for Mad Hatter, But I agree with the statement of blip/ downshift /engage clutch as I stop. All of this happens very quickly but mainly I try to stay gear appropriate to the speed I'm traveling. A lot of riding technique is situational and few things are "do it the same way no matter", but typically staying 'gear appropriate to speed' and rarely dropping three or four gears at once is my normal habit .Of course if I want to skid or slide well thats different, - I rarely want to skid or slide:-)
On the up-shifting topic, I hadn't visited for a while , but yes, I can clutch-less up-shift at speed faster than most using the clutch. I don't think we can mention racing on the forum but I speak of what I know . On the street not recommended, but it can be done and practiced (suggested) at any speed . I generally do it over 30-40 just to practice but it can be a wonderful thing when done right.I think the biggest trick is to get it right but you have to be definite when shifting, a missed gear sounds like the tranny is coming out,along with the over -rev. If/ when that happens, back off blip ( to match speed) the throttle, use the clutch to find a gear and go on.