Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

So what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So what happened?

Y'all know I lowsided Sat. The question is why? I have a pretty good idea. But the point is to see if y'all can recognize why so you can avoid it yourself. Better a mental exercise than the physical one of lifting your bike out of the grass

Name:  IMAG0171.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  55.1 KB

All the information is right there in the pic. And you get a much longer look than if you encountered it while riding Little hint: the 2 faint lines heading towards the curb was me

Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you came across those paint stripes, that'd probably do it. The change in traction between the alternating stripes and asphalt plus the build up paint can upset the contact patch as well. Sometimes they are like mini speed bumps that break your traction. Pretty common scenerio.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a smart ***, or trying to bust your chops, but I would say you experienced a lack of traction due to the conditions and the given speed at which you were trying to navigate the corner. Those painted cross walk markers (or any painted lines) offer much less traction than dry pavement.

There are just too many unpredictable variables present on public streets to safely push over 60 or 70% of a bike or riders capabilities. Sand, debris, wet, traffic, pesdestrian, animals, surface temperatures, etc... I'm guilty of it myself, but I try to remind myself to cool it after I notice I've carved a fun section of public road. It's a blast to tear it up every once in a while, but I would have a hard time dealing with the guilt if I caused an accident that injured someone else, and an even harder time explaining to the wife and kids why I was all banged up if I were lucky enough to only hurt myself.

Save the 70% and above stuff for track days.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Oh damn man, I'm sorry. I haven't been here in a little while and had no idea you went down on the new bike already. Dude that sucks so bad, sorry again.

Ummm, yea. I dont want to sounds like an *** too but that kind of thing is pretty much street riding 101. Not even the stripes but even the straight painted stuff, the areas where they reseal the tarmac, cracks and whatever. You have to look out for any changes in surface.The painted stuff is, or should be I guess, pretty obvious.

You don't even want to be coming to a stop at lights in the middle of the lane for that reason, thats where all the cars are dripping oils and fluids.

I see in your other thread that it wasn't really that bad and you weren't hurt so I guess lesson learned but yea, you gotta be a bit more carefull on the corners, especially crossing intersections. Its a mine field and most of it isnt' marked with paint.

Glad your ok man, geez.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey no worries about my 'feelings' I wouldn't have posted if I couldn't take the criticism

Yeah the crosswalk paint was the nail in the coffin, so to speak (thankfully figuratively). As far as speed goes, I was doing around 27-32 mph when I initiated the turn. But I'm fairly certain I did make another mistake, before hitting the paint, which snowballed into losing traction on the paint.

Little more info, I was done braking. I have the "I'm coming into too hot!!!!" SR so I've been uncovering the front brake when turning. I was comfortable with the speed of the turn, so I was in maint throttle for the turn (neither opening nor closing).

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Road hazards....sucks. Especially high traffic areas where you have drops of oil, dirt, spit, paint.....as long as your ok... How bad is damages to bike & gear?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 AM

I've always heard to avoid riding over paint on the bike. I thought that was more like lane divider paint... Never thought about crosswalks and the like. Well, bikes can usually always be repaired, sometimes the rider can't be.