CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   Shifting question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/shifting-question-137328/)

Wisconsin 04-26-2012 11:13 AM

Shifting question

This may sound like a dumb question, but I've been hearing different things about "power-shifting" and such.

So, I was wondering, Do you need to use the clutch when shifting? why/why not? What are the benefits of doing so(or not)?

nickp123 04-26-2012 01:42 PM

You can upshift without using the clutch, just roll off the throttle and bang the shifter up then get back on the throttle. For everyday riding theres really no need to but you can do it if you just want to have a bit of fun. The only benefit is quicker shifts so if youre racing (at the track) then go ahead or just tap the clutch real quick while you shift. But i also dont think it really hurts the clutch/tranny too much either so theres also not a huge argument against doing it too. If all you do is shift like this every time you ride then im sure youll be replacing your tranny sooner than those who dont but if youre just doing it once in a while its not gonna do any harm.

.....just dont downshift without the clutch.

Stu Pidasso 04-26-2012 01:46 PM

If you shift without the clutch often enough you will end up making gouges in the face of your fly wheel. Even if it seems harmless slipping the bike in to gear it actually is not. Over time you will put uneeded and unwanted wear on your transmission and will have to do some costly repairs. This is one of those things that you dont usually know you have a problem until it is far too late. Best of luck to you and remember no question is a stupid question as long as it is genuine. I wish more people realized that.

That Guy in Maine 04-26-2012 01:55 PM

You CAN upshift without the clutch as long as you are not on the throttle.
You CANNOT (should not rather, if you try it will work, but is not good for the transmission) downshift without the clutch.

There is a lot of false information out there, a lot of people think bike and cars are the same, but they're very different. However, you can get gearboxes for cars that allow you to shift without the clutch. With a standard MT car though, if you rev match you can up and downshift the car without the clutch without harming the engine...if you do it perfectly that is. But doing it perfectly is near impossible so every time you do that you would damage the car transmission slightly. Bikes use a different system, so you don't need to worry about it.

Monkeybutt2000 04-29-2012 01:44 PM

I use the clutch for the 1st-2nd upshift,then use the slightly let-off throttle technique for the rest of the upshifts.

vfrman 04-29-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso (Post 1153771)
If you shift without the clutch often enough you will end up making gouges in the face of your fly wheel.

How? The flywheel is on the left side of the crank and the clutch is on the right...

backdoc 04-29-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso (Post 1153771)
If you shift without the clutch often enough you will end up making gouges in the face of your fly wheel. Even if it seems harmless slipping the bike in to gear it actually is not. Over time you will put uneeded and unwanted wear on your transmission and will have to do some costly repairs. This is one of those things that you dont usually know you have a problem until it is far too late. Best of luck to you and remember no question is a stupid question as long as it is genuine. I wish more people realized that.

Clutchless Shifting - Sport Rider Magazine Online

Kuroshio 04-29-2012 08:04 PM

Speaking from experience, there are times when using the clutch method of shifting upsets the bike. Yolie absolutely loathes the clutch when she's pulling hard. As for damaging the tranny, yeah when you do it wrong and get caught in between gears.

But remember, Yolie came with a quick shifter. Doubt BMW would offer an option that grinds their tranny. And I've used it at redline before ;)

BorderLineAlaska 04-30-2012 05:54 PM

"preload" the shifter by putting a small amount of upward pressure, but not actuallly shifting, then once youre at a good rpm just roll back on the throttle a bit and it should go with no clutch. If you **** it up it can tear things up, or it just wont go, but no worse than grinding gears in a car. You can usually do it a thousand times before theres any significant damage. This is just my experience though.

PS its also similar to a car in the sense you can clutchless shift if youre at the right rpm. To be honest its something you learn after awhile of operating a certain machine and its a bit different for each one. Ive heard that when done correctly it actually saves on wear and tear. Not to mention it makes for smoother shifting if youre really good ;)

Originally Posted by backdoc (Post 1154713)

this basically tells it all.