Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Riding 2 up... GF nowhere to hang on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
this looks like it would work well. I didn't watch the whole video, do they have a web site?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grip-n-ride.com is the web site. I went to it and it was down for some reason.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 AM

I agree with most of the guys here. I'm 6'0" and built like an offensive lineman, so I don't have a problem with my gf running me into tank. But yeah, keep her close to you and brace on the tank for braking, hold onto you for acceleration. I would compare holding onto the strap on a seat to riding in the back of a pickup ... you feel secure when it's nice and slow, but when you're ripping around a corner, have fun holding on.

Plus, why would you want her holding onto anything but you ... half the fun of having a bike is getting girls on the back...no?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Well I found out what the problem was... She was still using a mx helmet and the front of her helmet was sticking out to far for her to lean in far enough. Well my neighbor saw us getting ready to leave the other day and saw her wearing an mx helmet and came up and asked what size helmet she wore. I told him and before my girl got back he went into his house and brough out a brand new Arai helmet in her size and said she could have it!?!?!?! Once she put this helmet on she could lean forward and hold onto me just fine.

Now for my next question... How do you thank your neighbor for being such a pimp???

Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM

give em a zj

Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketMan84
Well I found out what the problem was... She was still using a mx helmet and the front of her helmet was sticking out to far for her to lean in far enough. Well my neighbor saw us getting ready to leave the other day and saw her wearing an mx helmet and came up and asked what size helmet she wore. I told him and before my girl got back he went into his house and brough out a brand new Arai helmet in her size and said she could have it!?!?!?! Once she put this helmet on she could lean forward and hold onto me just fine.

Now for my next question... How do you thank your neighbor for being such a pimp???
Alcohol. Lots of it. Good stuff.

Find a bottle of something $50+ usually works for thanking people

Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Alcohol. Lots of it. Good stuff.

Find a bottle of something $50+ usually works for thanking people

+1 for me,....that is always a gesture that goes a long way.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 PM

maybe get a new jacket that has a zippable wind vent in the back, doubles as two makeshift handles

Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 AM

I have been bracing my hands on the tank when I ride 2-up with my boyfriend but my hands and wrist get really sore. I usually sit up at the lights to give my wrists a break and just watch the light changes. I'm hoping to find a better way to hang on tho.

But my question is how do we stop our helmets from bumping?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CJ is a pretty handy guy, I've seen his build thread. Check-out some of the low-built
back-rests. All you need is a little cushion on the rear of the seat that you can brace
against with your legs. I actually added a tail-trunk, before I thought of something like
that. My wife went from scared/nervous to totally relaxed. If you're just running to the
park/short trips, it might be over-kill. Longer trips riding 2-up, it is definetly the way to
go. It will allow you a much greater piece of mind, vastly improves your ability to stay on
the bike through an un-expected manuveur by the driver and takes the push-pull against
the driver out, allowing you to use light hand pressure against their back/sides to 'read'
him/her's intentions.

Hope this helps, Ern

P.s. welcome to the forums and good luck on your own riding career.

Quick Reply: Riding 2 up... GF nowhere to hang on.