Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Riding 2 up... GF nowhere to hang on.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding 2 up... GF nowhere to hang on.

Alright,lets just say im not the biggest guy out there, and my girlfriend is only 5 feet tall. The first time I had her on the back of my F3, she said that she couldn't reach me to hang on. Thats about when I noticed that if I had another set of pegs, I could roll with one more skinny girl right in between us. So I had her hang on to the strap that goes across the back seat, and when I slow down or stop she just tightens her knees a bit on both sides of my *** to keep her from sliding forward on the seat. This situation has been working ok, but I was wondering if anyone else has any better ideas?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM

I'm a rather tall guy, 6' 1" and my girlfriend is about 5' 7". I had a similar problem of my girl sliding into me and smashing my nuts into the gas tank. However, we quickly found that if she snuggles up against my back, wraps her arms around me and puts her hands on the tank, she can "frame-up" very well and keep herself steady more easily. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I thought I would spread the idea.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by monsterjeepn
I'm a rather tall guy, 6' 1" and my girlfriend is about 5' 7". I had a similar problem of my girl sliding into me and smashing my nuts into the gas tank. However, we quickly found that if she snuggles up against my back, wraps her arms around me and puts her hands on the tank, she can "frame-up" very well and keep herself steady more easily. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I thought I would spread the idea.
Thanks, I'll see if that will work for her. I know what you mean about the smashing your nuts on the tank. The first few times that I took her out with me,(before we figured out how to keep her from sliding up on me) I was really dreading it cause everytime before that, my sack would hurt so bad by the time we got back that I just wished we had took the cage.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM

wraps her arms around me and puts her hands on the tank
this is the best situation. that way, when you take off, she can use the inner part of her arms to hold onto you, and if she starts to slip, she can always grab you with her hands.

Just a little tip though. I've found it best if she stays as close as possible to me. If she sits too far away, she will end up sliding into you and smashing your nuts.. If she rides close to you, braces herself on the tank and uses her legs to hold on with, should be fine. Besides that, the closer she is to you, the better she will flow with you and the bike. If she is sitting too far away, she won't be able to follow your body position, which can make corners sketchy... Not to mention slow speed manevours. the closer she is to you, the better you can control the bike.

I wouldnt suggest her using the strap to hold on with. It won't give her any stability, and she will slide into you.... or worse, slide off the back of the bike.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I say IMO buy a CBR600 for her....

Old 07-17-2010, 11:52 AM

I say IMO buy a CBR600 for her....
lol. thats a good one. Although, from personal experience. I can say that having my wife on her own bike was so nerve racking, I spent most of my time looking in the mirror, or riding behind her to keep an eye on her. She did great, just my own worries about it. I was so glad when she decided to sell her bike. I feel much better with her on the back with me.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
lol. thats a good one. Although, from personal experience. I can say that having my wife on her own bike was so nerve racking, I spent most of my time looking in the mirror, or riding behind her to keep an eye on her. She did great, just my own worries about it. I was so glad when she decided to sell her bike. I feel much better with her on the back with me.
Ha-ha. That one is definitely out of the question for me... I've been trying to teach my GF how to ride dirtbikes... Yeah, we'll just say it hasn't gone well so far. I try to teach her in nice, flat, open areas so she can get the basics down, which she learned GREAT. But the first time we go to take a trail ride (nice, easy one) she rides through the only obstacle ANYWHERE near us... a ******-wire fence... I was so ridiculously scared that she lacerated her leg or something going through it. Luck was on her side, though. She got through unscathed. Didn't even hurt the bike, just got ******-wire wrapped in the rear wheel, which was a B!TCH to get out... Haven't taken her out since cuz I'm affraid she'll do something similar. I can only imagine what would happen if she was on a streetbike... Although if she took the MSF BRC I think I would be more comfortable with it.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM

+1 for having her arms around you and having her learn to put her hands on the tank to brace herself when slowing/stopping.

Sounds like you either may be too far up on the tank or she's sitting too far back. Under way, she should practically be laying on you back. lol

Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Default Put an end to crushed nuts

Do a web search for pillion handles, love handles, or buddy belt and you'll find what you need. Another thing to consider is the anti-slip tool drawer liner you can pick up at harbor freight or wal-mart. It's cheap and just a small piece tossed onto the seat will keep her from sliding into you. Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding 2 up... GF nowhere to hang on.