CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   Rain... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/rain-138580/)

tchyclutch7 05-26-2012 04:40 PM

Rain...

Ok so I have been able to avoid it up until today. I need some tips for going home in the rain all highway, because my car decided not to start today. I'm not looking forward to this but I guess it's now or never. I'm not an aggressive rider so no worries there just some tips please.

gotcbr 05-26-2012 04:48 PM

Maintain safe distance from vehicles in front of you. Can't stress this enough. You need a lot more slowing/stopping distance when its wet.

Smooth gear changes & smooth braking. No abrupt movements.

Watch out for hwy/road paint, like large turn arrows/etc. They can be extremely slippery.

Ride like you're being evaluated by the toughest dmv grader in the country & you'll be fine. ;-)

tchyclutch7 05-26-2012 04:54 PM

Yea I'm thankful I got good bridgestone tires just very nervous because where I have to go it puddles the water up a lot.

Chrisb319 05-26-2012 04:57 PM

avoid driving through large puddles

kinda hard to explain but try to drive where cars have already driven.

gotcbr 05-26-2012 05:02 PM

Slow it down. Take your time. Allow as much time as you need to safely get to your destination.

Since you're already knowledgeable of your riding area, anticipate where you need to be even more cautious. As stated above, avoid standing water if at all possible.

Nice that you have good tires. It can be hard to trust your tires at times when you have reservations about the conditions. Just maintain proper pressures (don't over inflate - especially in wet conditions).

When its raining (especially hard), it can be very difficult to keep your focus. However, just concentrate on good solid riding techniques & safety, & you'll be fine.

tchyclutch7 05-26-2012 05:13 PM

I'm not leaving for about 4 more hours but I'll post up on my ride home later haha

MadHattr059 05-26-2012 06:04 PM

Got a rain suit? If not a 30 gal trash bag will at least keep your core dry-ish.
Walmart does cheap camping gear suits, consider that option. If not, even 70 degrees,
soaking wet at highway speeds can cause hypothermia, if you are riding for a
protracted period. Wear extra layers.

You can try to tuck in behind your fairing (if you have one) but don't sacrifice control for comfort.
While tempting, DO NOT draft 18 wheelers to stay in their dry zone.

For a motorcycle, there are 3 lanes to a roadway, the two lanes where a car's tires run and
the center lane of the car chassis. Stay in the tire lanes, transition smoothly between
them. The center is where the most oil/anti-freeze and slick debris tends to accumulate,
causing the greatest hazard.

Be aware of leaves, etc. they can be slick if you brake on them. Keep your speed down,
to avoid hydroplaning. Don't freak when going trhough them, modern tires are quite good
at shedding water, just don't do anything sudden while in any accumulated water.
Smoooth is the key.

If you follow GotCBR's advice, you'll be fine. Be aware of the other driver's,
don't allow your extra caution to be an obstacle for their progress.
Pull over if you have any tailgaters.
Everyone else has the right-of-way, regardless of the road-rules.
The idea is to be safe, not dead right.

Good luck, Ern

Kuroshio 05-26-2012 06:36 PM

Rear brake

Use the rear brake to tests traction when braking. If the rear locks and / or slides, it's better than the front

tchyclutch7 05-26-2012 07:01 PM

Thanks guys but I think I caught a break I see the sun poking out! But I appreciate all of the quick responses they will be helpful when I do get caught. I don't have rain gear but I do have my normal padded gear. Not really worried about being wet just dead haha. Thanks again guys

tchyclutch7 05-26-2012 10:27 PM

Ok so 30 min before I left it started raining... I went slow and people tailgate and just don't understand. I got the bird from more people in a hour long ride home. I did about 10 under still had some wiggle from a few puddles. Corners are scary as hell but made it home in one piece on two wheels. Now I'm signing up for the safety class. Thanks again for all of the replies.