CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   pay attention to your surroundings (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/pay-attention-your-surroundings-128774/)

Thommy 07-25-2011 06:59 PM

pay attention to your surroundings

Well I just wanted to say that I thank God to be alive right now. I was almost wiped out from behind by a car.

Just a few days ago there were two people that were hit and killed at that same spot.

I had to drop the bike and jump off...which I also keep my bike in gear when stuck at a light,so it jumped and gave some deep cracks and scrapes.

So always keep your eyes on your surroundings, bc had I not looked behind me to see the car coming really fast then the LOUD and piercing screech of locked up tires- an old 92 buick with no ABS.

I have video of how long the skid was and will post it later.

be safe and keep your eyes open

R Dub 07-25-2011 08:10 PM

Damn man. Happy your hear to talk about it. I had a couple close calls today as well but managed to made it home rubber side down. Safe safe and heal up.

Ls1Tuner_06 07-25-2011 09:16 PM

**** man. that's fawkin ridiculous. I'm so scared to get hit from behind. usually when I come to a light or traffic that has slowed down or stopped or anywhere I have to stop where traffic can come up behind me I usually stand up on my bike and hit the brake continuesly to make sure ppl see me. I feel goofy some times, but damn it sure beats having something like that happen. I'll do anything to be noticed. just riding home today some guy in a silverado SS thought it would be a good idea to ride me ass down a 4 lane road. So I started tapping the brakes all the way down to about 15 mph. he stayed behind me for a bit until he realized I wasn't going to speed up and went around me to only take a left hand turn..really pissed me off.

estate4life 07-25-2011 09:25 PM

Feel ya..

Good your okay, you had to jump off to avoid being hit. Wow...I ride 80% city streets. Stop and go traffic, traffic red light every block...so I understand where your coming from. I really do not know what is the best remedy to avoid such scenario? Other than being aware of your surrounding....even if you are always aware but in some cases, GOD must have to look over your shoulders bro...

Originally Posted by Ls1Tuner_06 (Post 1083143)
**** man. that's fawkin ridiculous. I'm so scared to get hit from behind. usually when I come to a light or traffic that has slowed down or stopped or anywhere I have to stop where traffic can come up behind me I usually stand up on my bike and hit the brake continuesly to make sure ppl see me. I feel goofy some times, but damn it sure beats having something like that happen. I'll do anything to be noticed. just riding home today some guy in a silverado SS thought it would be a good idea to ride me ass down a 4 lane road. So I started tapping the brakes all the way down to about 15 mph. he stayed behind me for a bit until he realized I wasn't going to speed up and went around me to only take a left hand turn..really pissed me off.

Thommy 07-26-2011 06:30 AM

I definitely thank God for giving me the instinct to always look around and pay attention. It still seems surreal. My nerves finally calmed down after getting home. The guy admitted that he was messing with his "new phone". I am also very thankful that the dude didnt take off. I have t-boned a car before and they knew they were in the wrong and just left me and my bike on the road. That is what is unbelievable.

I ride all of the time and we just have to keep our eyes and ears aware of what is going on.

Have a good day and be safe and keep the rubber side down.

vfrman 07-26-2011 07:19 AM

Were you directly behind another car? Being in 1st gear is a good idea. If you saw/heard the car coming up you have the option of taking off to get out of the way. If you had a car in front of you, then stopping to the left or right side (but still behind) of the car so you have an escape path would have helped. Then the car in front of you can absorb the impact!

But I wasn't there so all I can say is it is good that you are ok. Bikes are fixable, people not so easy to do.

hikeetech 07-27-2011 09:22 AM

I'm glad that you are ok. Like the others said, God must be looking over your shoulder. I am a new rider, and I just went down with my bike this morning like 2 hours ago and it was scary. Nothing as crazy as what happened to you, but my heart is still beating like 1000bpm. I myself had a few close calls in the past a few months, there are just some dick drivers out there think they are the king of the road. That just pisses me off.

Thommy 07-29-2011 06:16 AM

Well here is an update to my situation... one I was the only person in the lane. I do,and did, keep it in first and when I jumped that kicked the bike a little. The car locked up and slid for 5-6 car lengths and finally turned off.

Now I am told his insurance lapsed and that "technically" he didn't "hit" me and so they dont feel responsible to fix my bike.Being at the intersection I guess I was stupid for not letting him hit me. Some people are real assanine idiots.

So now I hear rubbing and have a cracked upper fairing and twisted to hell brake lever and chip and scratch marks on my bike. At the same time I hear the lady at the insurance tell me "you dropped the bike and he didnt hit you".

Good Grief.

keep your heads up, eyes open and the rubber side down.

vfrman 07-29-2011 11:18 AM

That sucks! I would think if you can prove that the car ended up going where you once were, then you can claim that it was your reaction to the situation that kept you safe. If you had done nothing, then the car would have hit you. You shouldn't be punished because your survival instinct kicked in!

estate4life 07-29-2011 12:10 PM

Your right bro.. There are mad drivers, drunk, old, careless, etc... It's just reality. Sometimes young punks, driver is also a problem. We just have to do our part (defensive, alert, gear up) then that 10-20% luck. God bless...

Originally Posted by hikeetech (Post 1083792)
I'm glad that you are ok. Like the others said, God must be looking over your shoulder. I am a new rider, and I just went down with my bike this morning like 2 hours ago and it was scary. Nothing as crazy as what happened to you, but my heart is still beating like 1000bpm. I myself had a few close calls in the past a few months, there are just some dick drivers out there think they are the king of the road. That just pisses me off.