Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

new to riding...question? :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizuruu
I think i got the clutch down, I realized that the amount of play on my f4i (not sure if every f4i is like that) is a lot more than i expected, but i think i got it down. Just need to practice the amount I actually roll on the throttle. (i have rather..not so smooth hands for my right side of body..lol)

BTW you guys are REALLY nice..I didn't get bashed once..
I remember my friend when he signed up on the r1 forums..got bashed on his first post for no reason.

I really like this forum
Good to see you have the MSF course scheduled. They will talk about the "engagement zone" of your clutch which should help you. I just used the concept with my 15y/o son who is now driving a manual transmission Jeep which requires more patience and timing then the clutch action on his motocross bike.

Also they will introduce the counter steering technique which will help you in the turns significantly. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 AM

I've found that the people on this forum are not interested in bashing new riders. We all had the same jidders you are experiencing now. It does get easier; and with positive criticism and encouragement, it gets better quickly. Glad you made it to the gas station. Glad you are taking a course, and sorry that you dropped your bike. Sounds to me like you are on the right course.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 AM

like everyone else has already said your first time jitters will pass. Dont worry about the other traffic as far as holding them up. you are driving the bike not them your safety is more important. Be afraid but not to the point that you cannot ride. You will get the hang of it just have fun and be safe.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 PM

i started riding on the street after having experience driving standard in my car and owning a 6 speed quad, it was still intimidating getting out there with traffic, practice is good but at some point you just need to get out there and do it. maybe wait for a time of day were you know traffic is lightest and go then. remember its not the end of the world if you stall, and sometimes over thinking it can cause you to stall just be smooth and feel the clutch and rpms. you will be fine.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shizuruu
I recently bought a 02 F4i (first bike EVER) and I personally feel like I made progress in finding the clutches sweet spot, I don't stall as much in my neighborhood anymore (actually only once yesterday ).

anyways, the question i want to ask is..I have to get gas in my bike now because I've been practicing a lot and 2 or 3 bars were blinking for reserve. I have a red plastic gas thingy but I don't know where it went...

I don't feel too confident in going out on to the street even though the gas station is literally across the street 1 left turn and then a right in to the station, but iono...I'm just really scared of stalling in the middle of hte street or something or holding up the entire left turn lane cuz i stalled lol

Any tips to get over being a ***** and going out there and just ride?
We all been there I mean ALL! Go push the bike to the gas station ( unless u have container ) come back and practice some more, the least of your problems is stalling the bike, if you panic the first thing is going to happen is your gonna lock and not think right and hit a car or something, remember the bike will go to wr your looking . Practice practice makes perfect

GL AND RIDE SAFE