CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   New Rider, CBR125 feels unsteady over 80kms/hr (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/new-rider-cbr125-feels-unsteady-over-80kms-hr-139274/)

Oli 06-15-2012 12:15 AM

New Rider, CBR125 feels unsteady over 80kms/hr

Hey All! I'm a new rider, bought a 2008 CBR 125 just over a month ago. I took the course and now I've been having fun taking my time learning to ride through town. I've taken it out on the country roads and up to higher speeds twice now. I don't know if it's just that I'm new, or if I'm noticing a drawback to riding a 125 and hoping you can shed some light for me.

First off, it gets blown around in the wind. I noticed that when I passed a tree line and a gust took me by surprise.

Secondly, it feels very unsteady when I get it up to 70-80kms. It feels kinda shakey and has a lot of vibration. Again, I don't know if it's just me not being used to it or not. But I've ridden on the back of a 600 and it did not feel like that at all - it just plows through the wind. I was also wondering if this has something to do with the very tiny tires on the 2008 model, or just the lack of weight and HP in general.

And suggestions or advice would be great! I'm already considering moving up to the CBR250 - went and looked at one tonight. Would the 250 be sturdier? Thanks :)

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh639/EOli/2.jpg

Kuroshio 06-15-2012 05:19 AM

Wind will affect any bike, regardless of size. I get pushed around a bit when passing semis, going over bridges and such on my bikes. The vibration is another story tho.

The vibration is either mechanical or it's YOU. If you're the 'cause' of the vibration, it's gonna follow you on every bike. If you're tense on the grips, riding in a stiff armed position, your ams are going to transmit everything to you. Being stiff on the grips will have you fighting the bike's natural self-correcting nature, exacerbating the situation. Riding with stiff arms also tends to have you supporting your upper body by your arms on the grips.

To figure out what's going on, make sure your bike is mechanically sound. If everything is true, then try something the next time you're out riding: flap you wings :) Hands on the clipons pretend your arms are wings and try to flap them, like you're doing the chicken dance. If you can't, your arms are way too stiff. You should have a bend in your arms, supporting your upper body weight with your core muscles (lower back, abdomen, etc).

newb craig 06-15-2012 06:47 AM

When I was learning I was on a 125 for the first few hours and found they seemed to vibrate much more than the bigger bikes. I'd guess thats just the nature of them but I haven't much experience with them personally.

The unsteady nature is probably yourself being stiff and nervous riding. When I first went on motorway journeys the wind used to wobble the bike a little (it always will) and used to sometimes get the heart racing and feel a little nervous. It was all down to being inexperienced and tense for myself. A year in the bike will be blowing around just as much but because I ride more relaxed and im used to it it no longer worries me.

I'd make sure its nothing mechanical and get it checked, after you get the green light just ride nice and relaxed. As you get used to it you'll most likely start to feel more settled and comfortable.

Oli 06-15-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks for the solid feedback guys! I'm taking it to Honda to have it checked out next Friday - that's the earliest they could fit me in. It's probably fine, after your responses I think that I've been riding too stiffly. I'll take your advice and consciously loosen up my arms. And Kuroshio I'll be laughing doing the chicken dance, thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot on my next ride out. I'm still thinking about moving up to the 250 anyways, but now I know part of the problem at least was me.

Nikephenom 06-20-2012 02:24 PM

Cbr 125s do rattle abit at the front, usually at high revs or top speed, if your in the right gear it shouldnt tho... the wind isnt nice, but it happens alot at high speed.

RobertT800 06-20-2012 07:17 PM

to be fair dont mean to contridict but i had a NSR 125 ( 2 Stoke) and as you may know they rattle them selves to death :/ But... my mate had a CBR125 and that thing rattled more ( the bike itsself not just engine) and also was effected by the wind more i think its beacuse its lighter :/ on my 600 the wind effected it a lot less and unless you where rinsing it then it wouldn't rattle.

Oli 06-22-2012 06:52 PM

Ok I took my bike in to Honda this afternoon to have it tuned up and checked out. They said it's in mint condition. So that's awesome!

But I still feel a little unsteady at times at the higher speeds and I think it's part me and partly the bike. I noticed that I was holding myself up with the handle bars so I've made a conscious effort to support myself with my legs and core and that helps alot. I wonder what the car behind me thought when I started doing the chicken dance? lol

It does still get pushed around quite a bit in the wind though. If a big gust comes along I can get pushed a couple of feet into the lane.

So there I was at Honda this afternoon... killing time while they work on my bike... and there sits a shiny, new, black and silver 2012 CBR250RA. I just might do it... it was calling to me!! LOL

gunslinger1274 06-22-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oli (Post 1171366)
Ok I took my bike in to Honda this afternoon to have it tuned up and checked out. They said it's in mint condition. So that's awesome!

But I still feel a little unsteady at times at the higher speeds and I think it's part me and partly the bike. I noticed that I was holding myself up with the handle bars so I've made a conscious effort to support myself with my legs and core and that helps alot. I wonder what the car behind me thought when I started doing the chicken dance? lol

It does still get pushed around quite a bit in the wind though. If a big gust comes along I can get pushed a couple of feet into the lane.

So there I was at Honda this afternoon... killing time while they work on my bike... and there sits a shiny, new, black and silver 2012 CBR250RA. I just might do it... it was calling to me!! LOL

I saw someone doing a chicken dance :icon_chickendance: on a bike once, funny as hell!!

I have a 96 900RR and sometimes the wind makes me feel like I am going to go for a wild ride. I got pushed from one side of my lane to the other, once due to a huge gust.

If you are somewhat ok riding your bike and you think you are ready, I vote go for it!! A little more weight beneath you, and proper form, and you should be more comfortable on the 250. Good luck with your decision.

sloscheider 06-28-2012 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oli (Post 1171366)
...So there I was at Honda this afternoon... killing time while they work on my bike... and there sits a shiny, new, black and silver 2012 CBR250RA. I just might do it... it was calling to me!! LOL

And stepping up to combined anti lock brakes isn't too bad an idea either...

Joey B 06-29-2012 10:13 AM

I own a 99 900rr and I have found that the wind does move the bike around. but you get used to it. I rode a friends little 500 because he was complaining about being pushed around, I did notice the wind gust a lot more with the lighter bike.
as for the chicken dance, I myself have done it. get on my bike and start going down the road and have to make a pants adjustment. it happens.lol