Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

New to forum, new to riding...mental control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I think ya got me wrong here. Believe me, I'm 33... a little older than some young kid with ***** of steel and even tho I think about the physics and the actual act of popping it up, I have no desire to actually go try it. I'm too scared! And I should be being a noob. I'm more asking this stuff in case I accidentally pop it in full acceleration. You guys are making it sound like if I land the wheel SLIGHTLY off I'm going down. If this is the case, then fine, but I was wondering because I've seen and heard people popping it up a few inches and coming down slightly off, but being OK. I don't see how riding experience would help you if you landed crooked... because even if someone rode for 10 years and popped it up for the first time, wouldn't that be new to them?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 PM

First let me say very well said...Bravo!!. I too am a "late in life starter" at 34, I decided it was finally time to stop dreaming and RIDE! so for 640.00 i had my first bike 97 CBR 600F3.
With this has come the necessary safety and legal concerns. I am completely legal with CA.permit and Ins. I learned fast just how risky this sport can be. I love it! And kuroshio, Thanks again for the words of riding wisdom.....

Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Do yourself a favor, if you get the urge, buy yourself a 12 inch swing arm and leave the engine alone. Your 600 will stay on the ground.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 PM

I wish i could recall the exact quote that I heard awhile back but basic, respect the bike and she'll respect you. When you start getting on her hard is when you'll have problems.

All in all, never get over confident and cocky.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ashedink
I wish i could recall the exact quote that I heard awhile back but basic, respect the bike and she'll respect you. When you start getting on her hard is when you'll have problems.

All in all, never get over confident and cocky.
Which is why taking left corners for some reason freaks me out still.. When the speed limit is 55 and I go into a left turn, yup, a long line of cars follow me close because I'm prob doing 45.. It's just a mental fear I'm working on

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moving this to Riding Skills.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't actually need to be lifting the front wheel up at all! I got into one last summer when I was just cruising along a road, and decided to rest my hands for a second and let go of the bars- and it started to wobble pretty bad! Worn steering bearing, wheels not perfectly aligned... Many things can cause it. I got away with it just by instantly and instinctively grabbing the bars and ease it off, not trying to force it straight. In fact it happened so fast my heart started pumping fast after it was all over...

Tank slapper is not even the only thing you should be worried about: loose sand on the tarmac, somebody coming from behind a blind corner etc... If you still decide to **** around at least please do it in an empty parking lot. Like the others said earlier, there's just no way to know when and if it will happen... Mostly it's even not the bike that causes it, it's the rider...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to re-read the thread to remember why I had responded. New member that was obviously about to get in way over his head. Seemed so determined that I gave up on the thread.

Just remember the things said in both threads: don't rush things and don't fight a tank slapper

Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM

I did a wheelie once! Scared the Hell out of me.....I don't do them anymore. I went 150mph down the Garden State Parkway once.....Really scared me and I really don't do that anymore.

Sometime, on a lonely road, I'l open up my 1990 1000f and go silly fast. Everytime I do that, though, I worry about cops, wrecks, people pulling out of driveways, trees, deer, sand, oil, texting teens in my lane....the list goes on.

I found that going fast on a bike is something you should do in degrees. Only when you are really comfortable with baby steps should you venture on to the more agressive behavior.

Of course, we all bought our sportbikes because they are way cool and way fast. Just remember that the idea is to live long enough to enjoy how cool and fast they are. That requires skills that take time to nurture. Just my opinion.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow Left cornering

Originally Posted by Acespad3
Which is why taking left corners for some reason freaks me out still.. When the speed limit is 55 and I go into a left turn, yup, a long line of cars follow me close because I'm prob doing 45.. It's just a mental fear I'm working on
Haha.... Same here....especially down hill left cornering, I lean more conservatively. Right corners no problem. Guess I'm a righty

Quick Reply: New to forum, new to riding...mental control?