Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

New to forum, new to riding...mental control?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Default New to forum, new to riding...mental control?

Hello!

Besides saying hello for the first time and being excited about my new used 2006 F4i, I want to say this forum has helped me a lot already... mainly in being safe and not doing too much, too soon. I'm 33 and I have no dirt bike or past motorcycle experience other than the MSF course, so starting off a little late in the game.

I've been riding for 1 week so far, and aleady caught myself trying to power up first gear and test it. The fact that I even had the urge scares me a bit, i'm not gonna lie. Any advice to a noob on controlling that "kid at heart" inner voice that could get me killed? How long did everyone wait to test the bike out / wheelie... if you even did it at all?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CT_F4i View Post
Hello!

Besides saying hello for the first time and being excited about my new used 2006 F4i, I want to say this forum has helped me a lot already... mainly in being safe and not doing too much, too soon. I'm 33 and I have no dirt bike or past motorcycle experience other than the MSF course, so starting off a little late in the game.

I've been riding for 1 week so far, and aleady caught myself trying to power up first gear and test it. The fact that I even had the urge scares me a bit, i'm not gonna lie. Any advice to a noob on controlling that "kid at heart" inner voice that could get me killed? How long did everyone wait to test the bike out / wheelie... if you even did it at all?
welcome and hello! I can attest I'm a noob as well. I"m 22 this is my first motorcycle ever (06 cbr600rr). I've been riding for about 3 months and I've put just over 3,000 miles on the bike myself. Last night I got a little brave and tried to do the same thing. I brought the bike up to about 9k rpm's and then let off enough to for the forks to compress and then hit it barely pulling the wheel off the ground maybe 4 inches or so. Since last night I have actually been thinking the same thing!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM

Anyone that says they were never tempted, never seen the dark side of a speed limit or never lifted her up is a LIAR. It's impossible not to test the bike, find out what you got.

Now after acknowledging that you have to also acknowledge 3 things:
  1. There's a time for it
  2. There's a place for it
  3. There's an experience requirement

Maturity. If you have it, you'll know when.

Welcome aboard

Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not even close to 3 months yet so I really need to chill. Not like you HAVE to do wheelies or anything, I think its more like was said... we all want to see what our bikes can do. I'm sure there are plenty of riders who don't wheelie or stunt but bang up the twisties...

Regardless, it sounds like I'll know when I'm ready if I want to try anything.. is that what we're saying? I'm thinking a few thousand miles AT LEAST.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 PM

im with you on that one, you dont have to do a wheelie and bikes are just as enjoyable when you actually follow the laws. but they're just more fun sometimes when you break the speed limit a lil, or a lot ^^

Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by CT_F4i View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not even close to 3 months yet so I really need to chill. Not like you HAVE to do wheelies or anything, I think its more like was said... we all want to see what our bikes can do. I'm sure there are plenty of riders who don't wheelie or stunt but bang up the twisties...

Regardless, it sounds like I'll know when I'm ready if I want to try anything.. is that what we're saying? I'm thinking a few thousand miles AT LEAST.
Wheelies are deceptively easy to do. Many new riders pop one accidentally. But that easiness disguises the very real fact that if you set it down wrong, bad things happen

‪Motorcycle tank slapper into parked car‬‏ - YouTube
This is called a Tank Slapper. Very difficult for experienced riders to recover from. And a very real result of setting a wheelie down wrong

Like I said, wanting to grab a fistful of throttle and open her wide open is something every rider knows. Even scooter riders But without the skills and knowledge to handle things when they go wrong, you will crash. I can't tell you not to wheelie.

I can tell you you shouldn't try until you can handle your bike a lot better.

Btw... don't fight a tank slapper. The bike is trying to correct itself. If you fight it, you just make it worse

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i think in my first week of riding about 3 months ago i had the bike at around 140 mph. from there i had a same feeling, why am i doing it. what if i loose control and kill myself. but i guess we all do it. about a month into riding i was learning wheelies in my driveway which i stopped because i dont want to wreck my plastics doing stupid stuff. ill wait till next year when i get my second bike just for that purpose.
today i raced a lambo and it was fun, but it was a short run since i knew he will smoke me in the top speed so before got reckless i slowed down and let him go.
you just have to be smart and know when to quit.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
Btw... don't fight a tank slapper. The bike is trying to correct itself. If you fight it, you just make it worse
so what makes that happen? that is horrible.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu View Post
so what makes that happen? that is horrible.
There was actually a discussion bout this last year: https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-ridin...ussion-107074/

Staying on topic, landing a wheelie bad is one of the easiest ways do cause one. But as you can see here:

Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

thx kuro. a lot of good info there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to forum, new to riding...mental control?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.