Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

My First Ride In The Rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i went to the dragons tail this year we were hittin up the foot hills and skyways and made our way to the dragon in the early afternoon. Just got into the first corner and it started to downpour, lots of fun let me tell you goin thru that in the rain. Maybe not so much. but still hit the corners decently just gotta have faith in your tires and the ability to deal with a little slipage when it happens not if it happens lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
Can't say I enjoyed my first ride in the rain. It was just about dark outside and about 47 degrees and an absolute downpour. I had to keep my head tilted to the side so the wind would blow the water off my visor so I could see. I've never been so thoroughly soaked in my life, or cold. With rain gear I guess it could be fun but I don't like not being able to see when I'm riding.

It was a bit hard for me to see but i kept my cool and it turned out fine.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on Thrasher's comment about oil, etc. The first light part of the rain is the most
dangerous time. After a few minutes of steady rain the roadway is a lot safer.

Agree with the stress comment, too. Don't think of it as a bad thing, think of it
as another aspect of the ride. If you've got the gear (you do right?), it takes
care of a lot of the discomfort. Just sharpen your game to a precision course.

Keep your eyes ahead, anticipating your path/speed and stay nailed to it on rails.
I play the "Hit the perfect course through all the objects/turns of the road" game.
It keeps my mind engaged and entertained when riding, rain or shine. ;-)

Ern

Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 PM

I took my MSF class in the rain, but my first real ride was about a month ago. I went with a few friends to Syracuse for the Stuntfest. Got there in the morning and it was pretty cloudy out. 3 and a half hour ride from the Poconos. About 4:30 it started sprinkling. We decided to get on and ride, and just as we did, the sky let loose. We stopped to fill up and see if the rain would let up. Didn't.

Took me 5 hours to get home in an absolute, relentless downpour. Not an inch of skin was dry and at one point, I stopped for a bathroom break, felt like I was walking around with full 5 gallon buckets on my feet. I literally dumped a bootfull of rain water out of my boots.

But it was a fun ride home for sure. Since my MSF class was in the rain, I felt comfortable to ride in it. I had new tires on it, just a few hundred miles on them, so I was confident in my tires in the rain.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM

^^^Jim we should ride sometime!