Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

My First Ride In The Rain

Old 09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Wink My First Ride In The Rain

Today I had my first ride in the rain. I live in Minersville, PA at the moment and I decided yesterday to go pay my mom a surprise visit in Philly since it was her B day. It was only supposed to be a day but I ended up spending the night because I was drinking. So I woke up the nixt morning and saw on the news that they were calling for thunderstorms so I was like FML!!!! I've never ridden in the rain before. This is my first bike and I only had it for 2 weeks!!!!!

I decided to try to beat the rain so I suited up and went for it. Now it takes two hours to get back to Minersville and not 20 min into the ride it started pissing! I decided to pullover under a bridge and wiat the rain out. As I was waiting another rocket flew pass in the passing lane and I though to myself "what am I doing" Got back onto the bike and cruised my way onward

The kicker is. I missed my exit and the next exit was 19 miles away lol FML!!! Luckily the rain slowed down and eventually came to a stop and I found some real cool back roads off of 209 south and I made it home safe! If I could do it again I would because it started off ****ty but the back roads I found were awsome!!! I guess it's good to get lost sometimes

Old 09-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Getting lost sometimes can introduce you to some of the best roads. Glad you made it home safely.

As far riding in the rain...tires are EVERYTHING!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 PM

hahaha i like what you said when another rider rode by. damn right, wtf were you doing! get on the bike and have a blast. i love riding in the rain.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

tires and confidence. i had to take my riders course in the rain, so it was kind of baptism by fire. haven't had an issue since with the rain. don't worry about riding in the rain unless your tires are bad. glad you got on with it and went for it.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM

More riding you do, the easier it gets. others have already mentioned tyres, my contribution would be wet weather gear. Unless its teeming down, riding on will often get you pass the rain & a few more clicks closer to home. Bad weather can cause riders to want to get a hurry on & start to stress out. Just double your braking distances, don't go nutso in the corners, keep your eyes out for diesel & oil on the road & maniac tin tops (who always seem to around when the weather turns bad). Don't forget it's now time to lube that chain & clean all that collected crud off your rear wheel rim.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM

The first 15 minutes of rain is the worst. All the fluids that are on the road spread and then flush away. You did not do anything wrong pulling off for those first few minutes...if anything you allowed a few minutes for the worst of the snot to wash away.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 PM

I had my first rain (sprinkle) ride today too. I thought it was going to be a lil more sketchy than it was. I love the sound of rain hitting the helmet. cant wait for another opportunity since San Diego hardly ever gets the wet stuff...

Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I was scared when I had to ride in rain first time. I kept thinking I don't wanna slip. But now, I don't mind. I am careful on where I put my wheel though

Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 AM

Fortunately my tires are new so that was good . I could use a new chain but I'm not worried because I'll get one when I get paid again. I've talked to some riders and they all seem to say the same thing "you haven't ridden until you've ridden in the rain". I totally understood what they meant when it was my turn cause it really takes a lot of concentration, esp when it's pouring down on you!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Can't say I enjoyed my first ride in the rain. It was just about dark outside and about 47 degrees and an absolute downpour. I had to keep my head tilted to the side so the wind would blow the water off my visor so I could see. I've never been so thoroughly soaked in my life, or cold. With rain gear I guess it could be fun but I don't like not being able to see when I'm riding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My First Ride In The Rain

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.