CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   My F4i won't pop a wheelie (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/my-f4i-wont-pop-wheelie-115434/)

axnst1 08-19-2010 01:14 PM

My F4i won't pop a wheelie

I have just recently got back to riding bikes. I used to ride bikes until I was about 12 but then after that I didn't have a bike again until 3 months ago. Needless to say that as soon as I got on the bike, it was like I never stopped riding. So even after only three months I feel very comfortable on my bike.

So, naturally, I would like to learn how to pop wheelies. I have read a bunch of things online on how to do it, and I just can't get my bike to lift up even 6". When I try doing it I get a jurk on the wheel and for a split second it may jump an inch or two, but that's it. I have never tried doing a power wheelie 'cause I keep reading that doing that is even harder. So I have been attempting clotch wheelies but no luck. I have tried popping the clutch at up to 10K rpm's and nothing. It almost feels like the bike doesn't have enough power or something. It does, however, feel like it's going to rip my arm off.

Here's what I have been trying:

1. Put the bike into first gear
2. Go about 15mph
3. Pull in the clutch
4. Rev up the engine a little and drop the clutch

I have tried to vary the "little" amount anywhere from 4K to 10K rpm, and I get nothing but a big huge jerk on the steering wheel that feels like it's going to rip my arm off. No upward movement though...

My bike is an '04 with only 3K miles on it...

PLEASE HELP!

hurricaneF-1 08-19-2010 01:24 PM

how to pop a wheelie

all i can say it commitment! I was the same way when i started to do stoppie i couldn't get the back to come up truth is you have to commit, standing with 1 foot on the passenger peg helps give you some leverage. also what might be happening is you drop the clutch and the revs are dropping, try and keep the throttle on after you drop the clutch if that makes sense.

1 thing you might wanna keep in mind before you start, you said its 04 with 3k miles on it, if you care about that bike watch out, when you start out you will probably be dropping the front down pretty hard, i blew my left seal out and i know other that have blown seals so just be cautious and safe when doing it! baby steps!

HurricaneF-1

axnst1 08-19-2010 01:27 PM

I am willing to try anything at this point! Thanks for the advice!

Others: Keep'em coming!

axnst1 08-19-2010 01:34 PM

OK...first of all...should I try bouncing the bike as i try to get it to come up? Meaning, should I stand up on the pegs, lean forward and try to push down on the shocks right as I go to drop the clutch? and even try lifting on it?

I can do wheelies on a regular pedal bike no problem, but there, it's 50% arm muscle and leaning backward and 50% pedal muscle. Does it work the same way on motorcycles? I am so frustrated...others make it look so easy...

drunkinmist 08-19-2010 02:12 PM

I personaly have never done the clutch thing cause i am not willing to commit and not really sure how that works.

The way i do it is by throttle only. Getting going fast enough in 2 and then dropping it back to first in the power range and mashing the throttle.
Should be like this get to 30mph drop to 1 gear you should be reving about 8k.
Then just let that throttle twist!
mine is a 02 and has all the power to do it but i can't get it to come up in any other gear then 1.

axnst1 08-19-2010 02:51 PM

I'll try that too!

Please keep the pointers coming!

PlayfulGod 08-19-2010 03:40 PM

its all on the rider, not the bike. ;)

I know guys that can ride wheelies on anything, doesnt matter what cc, gearing, etc.

axnst1 08-19-2010 03:55 PM

That's what I keep hearing... I wish I could have someone actually do it right in front of me. Unfortunately, non of my friends ride...

jeason15 08-20-2010 02:02 AM

your f4i is a wheelie machine... trust me. i have done wheelies on bikes as small at crf50's... if fact, i have been flipped over backwards on a 50. just stick with it. its all about that fine line when controlling throttle between coming up and holy sh1t. my advice, get a dirtbike and wheelie on that first... they are built to crash. failing that, learn to do burnouts. when you find that perfect launch rpm to get the rear wheel to break loose when you dump the clutch, you can use that as a yardstick for your wheelie launch.

axnst1 08-20-2010 08:40 AM

Burnouts, ha? IDK, everytime I see someone do a bornout I see dollar bills going up in smoke... I have never even tried doing one.... Can't be good for the tires or the trany...

Mister Skizzels 08-20-2010 09:41 PM

I've done them accidently in my 02 F4i..scared me.

I just kept it in first, crank it wide open throttle til around 10-11k rpms, let off really quick, then jam on the throttle...it'll come up. be careful please!

ID_CBRRider 08-21-2010 12:11 AM

Increase your speed just a bit. In first gear go about 35mph, should be about 4k-4500RPMs. then pull in your clutch and throttle up to about 10,500-11,000 rpms and drop your clutch back out. It'll come up no problemo. Start small and just pop it up and after that becomes comfortable then start increasing your initial clutch drop to abot 12k rpms and start carrying them out a few feet. Once that becomes comfortable then start taking them up a little higher till you find that elusive balance point.

And remember all the advice in the world is nothing compared to seat time and just keep trying!!

justasquid 08-21-2010 12:14 AM

Burnouts, ha? IDK, everytime I see someone do a bornout I see dollar bills going up in smoke... I have never even tried doing one.... Can't be good for the tires or the trany...
Im not sure why you think doing burnouts is harder on the trans than clutching up wheelies. Both can be harsh, but I would imagine clutching wheelies is worse for the trans and clutch than a burnout.

If your dead set of doing wheelies, you need to follow through with the throttle. It sounds like maybe your bringing the rpms up, dumping the clutch and letting the rpms drop. Once you drop the clutch, give the throttle a little more and it should continue making the front end rise. Or as already said, bring the rpms up while your first gear to around 10,000, let off the gas, which will allow the front to drop a bit, then hammer on the gas again. With the suspension still dropped a bit in the front from the letting off on the gas, the rebound of the suspension will help get the front end off the ground. Then its just a matter of throttle of control to keep the bike from flipping over backwards.

I would suggest not doing them at all, but I think we've all been there before. I rarely do wheelies now, I just never have the erge anymore. I still like corners though:)

myk3wa5h 08-21-2010 12:48 PM

I popped a wheelie last night..an i wasn't trying..not sure thats a good thing but i think i did it through the clutch, holding in the clutch while giving gas, then barely letting go and it came up no problem at all..i was a little suprised

xricer 08-21-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by axnst1 (Post 959009)

Speaking of dollar bills, don't lose that wheelie and drop your bike. Good luck though, and ride.....kind of safe.lol

stanleycbr600 08-21-2010 05:20 PM

im right here with ya man. Ive been popping wheelies for like a week now. Ive been doing the power wheelie and now im working on the clutch wheelie. What your doing wrong is when you pop the clutch your not staying on the throttle. Its the same thing i was doin when i first started learning. I still cant set it down softly or even ride it out but i can pop it. I found that sweet spot one time on my f2. talk about adrenaline . Knowing one little goose of the throttle and you would wipe out Love it. Some how managed to not lay my bike down at all yet (knock on wood) its my first bike also. Good luck bud hope i helped

axnst1 08-22-2010 07:24 PM

You guys are all helping! It's awsome! I am going to try what everyone is telling me... I definitely wasn't openning up the throttle after the initial jump....i am usually too busy trying to hold on to the bike so that it doesn't rip my arm off... I'll try giving it more throttle. Plus it also sounds like I am not giving it enough rpms initially. I usually don't let it go higher then like 8K.... I'll try! Thanks everyone!

axnst1 08-22-2010 07:26 PM

BTW, I most certainly agree that burnouts can't be as bad for the bike as wheelies, but if I am going to hurt my bike, I better get some excitment out of it and burnouts just don't do it for me....though then again I've never done one...

CAEM 08-22-2010 08:16 PM

Yea man trust me it can do i just started doing wheelies last week and i failed when i first tried. So i thought i couldnt do it as well so this week ....boom its coming up like a charm its great idk i changed my oil but i dont think that has anything to do with it. But yea i go about 13mph rev it up to 11k and drop the clutch and i have lift off. I cant do wheelies long yet like i said but its a start.

Vermino 08-23-2010 12:40 AM

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stunters-corner-55/how-wheelie-video-tutorial-115327/

if your better at learning from visual (then reading). I had an F3 and was able to get it up (stock gearing) - try and try again...

one tip tho: NEVER PULL on your handlebars to bring it up, it doesnt help and it's a good way to make your wheel crooked and land into a tank slap (keep the front wheel straight when letting it down)

but when you get lift (even a few inches) you will feel your handlebars unburdened and know that you are doing a wheelie. Also first time wheelies happen on accidents when playing with throttle control/power (ie: coming off a stoplight on the throttle hard, you will feel the weight from the front forks transfer to the back wheel)

good luck and be safe =)

(also burn-outs are boring and a waste of rubber - unless you got that infamous silver strip down the middle from too many wheelies and looking to just pop the mother)

hurricaneF-1 08-23-2010 07:24 AM

hmmm that burnout tip was interesting never thought of that.and i know what you mean about wishing there was someone to show you and help you in person, that would be nice!

jpanside@gmail.com 09-08-2010 04:16 PM

guys do not power wheelie. clutch is the way to go!

user 84830 09-24-2010 09:12 PM

I cant give you a whole lot of more info than anybody else has given you, I was timid about it and could never get it, finally, I said "F it" and scared the bajeezies out of myself doing a monster wheelie coming up to someone in thick traffic (dumb idea I know) but then it was addicting. whenever I didn't go whole hearted into it, it just didn't happen. So... my advice is don't be timid, drop that clutch, slam that throttle, and your eyes will get huge, then you'll rack yourself on the tank as you come down. heads up.

hurricaneF-1 09-26-2010 03:16 PM

why would you want to clutch wheelie over power wheelie the odds of flipping it are greater, harder on the clutch, and you blow fork seals easier because if you don't ride it out it you end up slamming the front end. not saying im an expert but that just makes sense to me?

axnst1 10-05-2010 07:50 AM

I can't even come close to doing power wheelies.... My bike doesn't seem to nearly have nearly enough balls to do that...I am like 230lbs though so maybe that's why... Even with instant full throttle I get absolutely no air...

newell 10-05-2010 08:43 AM

Damn, my 01 will pull the front tire when i grab second hard enough for a good amount of space, i never really cared for the tricks, just trying to stay ON!

Veibz 10-05-2010 12:15 PM

I dunno...I'm 225lbs and my f4i comes up VERY easy without using the clutch. I just bring it up to about 6500-7000K (29ish mph) close the throttle for a millasecond then open it up all the way... Next thing I know I am well on my way with the front end in the air :)

cbr 600 guy 10-14-2010 11:33 PM

early bird gets the worm but 2nd mouse gets the cheese...

that is pretty funny haha

i just started riding 2 months ago. i have an f3 with stock gearing and so far i have tried power ups in first gear and clutch ups in 1st and 2nd with 2nd gear being my favorite. everyone is right you have to commit to it and practice and it willcome up. once its there get the balance spot and when it comes down give it throttle to avoid slamming it.

i also agree with the dirtbike comment someone made. i been wheelie ing my dirtbike for 5 yrs. much much easier. and dirt is softer than pavement !!!

axnst1 10-15-2010 07:33 AM

OK, I am getting very frustrated. The closest I have been able to get to doing a wheelie is getting my front tire maybe a foot off the ground.

The way I am able to do that is while I am in 2nd gear, I pull in the clutch, completely let off the throttle, then rev up to at least 12K, then instantly let the clutch out all the way. The most I get is a foot and even that only happens maybe one out of every five tries. I just really don't think that my bike has the power to do it.

Also, I red everything I could find on how to do power wheelies and I tried every suggestion and I can't even get my bike to come up an inch. My bike doesn't even have 5K miles on it yet, so I don't think it's worn out or anything...

Could my front suspension being too low be causing issues?

axnst1 10-15-2010 07:51 AM

OK, after watching the video Vermino posted I realized that I may be doing something completely wrong. What I have been trying to do is pulling in the clutch, revving it up to about 12K and dropping the clutch only after I have completely reached 12K. In the video they say that that is not the way to do it. Apparently, you should drop the clutch and rev the RPM's up almost at the same time with the clutch lagging the RPM's just a smidge.. I will try this and see where that gets me.... Keep you posted!

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115327

raiden 11-02-2010 08:16 PM

if u want wheelie all the time then replaces ur rear sprocket , use dirt bike sprocket..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8h7vZVyEUQ

Kuroshio 11-02-2010 08:26 PM

Hmm... I think this 3 month old thread in the wrong section has run it's course.

Wheelies aren't really a Riding Skill. It's a stunt and we have a Stunter's Corner for topics like this.

Closing it down