Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?
View Poll Results: Which of these is most important in riding?
Vision: looking where to go, seeing the lines through curves, etc
68.42%
Throttle control: managing your speed and weight transfer smoothly
21.05%
Body positioning: using the bike's CoG with the least amount of interference to its stability
5.26%
Braking: being able to manage your speed effectively using the brakes
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Most important skill for a rider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some great discussion and excellent points raised. I agree with pretty much everything said in the previous posts about awareness and judgment being so important but I'm surprised there isn't more posts about attitude.

I think having a good attitude regarding your own safety, your skill level, the safety of others on the road etc is what leads to awareness and actually using your judgment properly. If your attitude is self centered and arrogant your visual skills are probably preoccupied in looking to see who might be watching you while you do a wheelie or burn away from the lights.

I have to say it's reassuring to see how many posts there are on this thread that show guys on the CBRF have great riding attitude!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Chose Vision as in awareness. My view that is the most important

Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by optimus_prime
some great discussion and excellent points raised. I agree with pretty much everything said in the previous posts about awareness and judgment being so important but i'm surprised there isn't more posts about attitude.

I think having a good attitude regarding your own safety, your skill level, the safety of others on the road etc is what leads to awareness and actually using your judgment properly. If your attitude is self centered and arrogant your visual skills are probably preoccupied in looking to see who might be watching you while you do a wheelie or burn away from the lights.

I have to say it's reassuring to see how many posts there are on this thread that show guys on the cbrf have great riding attitude!
agreed!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM

I chose vision as that has the advantages discussed here. Also agree that vision is going to help your awareness and along with the off thread intuition, yeah, have been there. One of the lessons in the beginner MSF was checking your bike, and check yourself. Am I capable of focus, where is my head at,am I sober ?
Good discussion - and my 2cents

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
none of those.

awareness. that's what will keep you alive on a motorcycle.

maybe that goes with your judgement. but that's everything. being able to foresee that car coming into your lane or pulling out in front of you. it's knowing to slow down for a blind corner because there could be something there that you can't see. it's knowing what's going on with your motorcycle. your tires, your brakes, your carbs, etc. it's understanding what the road conditions are. it's knowing what part of the lane you should be in for what situation youre in.

i'd say that awareness/judgement is way more important than any skill that's ever taught at a track day.

+1

The skills I was taught by a friend decades ago, were - always know what is happening around you - think "What if" every step of the way, what if, that car turns?, what if that driver hasn't seen you? Also try not to ride in cities (I live in the country) and if you have to - NEVER, repeat never sit in the blind spot of a car. Make your presence known.

That's why I always ride bikes with very near to antisocial pipes!

36 years of legal riding on the public highways, and I'm still here.

Cheers, SB