Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

How much wind is too much wind for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much wind is too much wind for you?

I thought this would be cool seeing is I just went for a ride hoping to drive an hour home from a friends.. After about 10 minutes and my tires were warmed up, going 55 mph and a gust of wind hit the bike hard. Hard enough to feel like the front tire slid out from under the bike and I was leaning just to keep the bike straight as it is. Long story short, maybe I'll ride later.. I need to change my shorts.

How much is too much wind for you? Any close calls or scares?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM

i usually wont ride if its more than 25 mph wind
and a time when i was riding down the highway and a rouge gust of wind blew me into the other lane right in front of a semi.
but luckily i still had time to get back into my lane

Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah...mother nature is kidding...

For some, their bike is THE only form of transportation available. And that I praise...

For some, your bikes us 2nd forms of transportation and you have the luxury when to ride? And when not...

If condition is too risky, simply don't ride...25mph wind...not kidding...especially now a days bikes are getting more and more lightweight....I've seen semi truck being blown over...what's a few hundred pounds?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Its been so windy the last few summers, we don't have much choice but to ride when its windy. I just pick roads that I know are protected by trees and away from open fields. Luckily, a good percentage of the roads around here are protected by trees. Definately try to avoid freeways if you can. The higher your speed combined with higher cross winds, means less time to correct anything that might happen. I think the fun factor stops right around 25 mph winds. But a crappy day of riding is still better than not riding at all.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM

My bike just recently became my only mode of transportation. My two fears were wind and rain. Did pouring rain the other day.. Ehh what's a lil water? Wind today was not fun. I'll try again later lol

Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM

yeah i got stuck on the parkway in a torrential downpour once and i wasnt too worried, you just have to be even more cautious and slow down a bit, its pretty controlled and cosntant. I kind of enjoyed it actually. Unexpected wind gusts are way worse, i hate them. Think a steering damper would be of any help with them? in terms of keeping the bike straight and reducing the input on the bars from the wind?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM

I got caught in a storm in Dallas one time, thought I would try to out run it and get back to Waco (about 1 1/2 hr drive). Thing is in front of the rain was the wind. I tucked up and help on, about that time I passed a local airport where a small plane was landing, he had to abort the landing due to the wind blowing him around, at that point I asked myself "what the heck am I doing". Made it home but didn't outrun the rain. Arms were tired from fighting to keep it in my lane. I've been riding so long now that the elements don't bother me much, but I still wouldn't ride in a hurricane or a tornado, lol. I do however like to ride in the rain in the summer.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
yeah i got stuck on the parkway in a torrential downpour once and i wasnt too worried, you just have to be even more cautious and slow down a bit, its pretty controlled and cosntant. I kind of enjoyed it actually. Unexpected wind gusts are way worse, i hate them. Think a steering damper would be of any help with them? in terms of keeping the bike straight and reducing the input on the bars from the wind?
i doubt a steering damper would help any, the wind doesnt just blow on the front end of the bike, moves the whole bike.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM

We live basically right on Lake Erie, so wind is always there. You kind of get used to it, e time just leaning a slight bit to either side fixes it though.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it depends on whether it's before or during a ride.
Before, if I see the signs of 25+...screw that I'll go veg on the forums.

If it starts up during a ride, I generally roll with it and don't cut
my destination/plans short.

When it was my only transportation, My typical response was,
"So? What difference does that make?"

This is Oklahoma, after all, if I always waited for the wind to die down,
I might as well go out and put a couple of rounds in her, right now! lol

Ern

Quick Reply: How much wind is too much wind for you?