Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

How do you gain confidence?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Misti
How do you know for sure you are doing something right before heading out to practice?
I read about it on the internet where everything is true and correct.

Sorry, couldn't resit.

I guess you would need to read, watch, and talk to more experienced riders hoping for similar answers across the board.

Parking lots are good for some skills, while others need to be applied out in the real world. The track is a great place to perfect skills, but not practice the basics.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
I read about it on the internet where everything is true and correct.

Sorry, couldn't resit.

I guess you would need to read, watch, and talk to more experienced riders hoping for similar answers across the board.

Parking lots are good for some skills, while others need to be applied out in the real world. The track is a great place to perfect skills, but not practice the basics.
LOL! That's right, everything on the internet is true and correct

Yes, good points about reading, watching, talking to and learning from more experienced/professional riders. I think you have to be really careful about who you take information from. A reputable riding school is always a good start. I know of one if anyone is wondering

But like you said, the track is a great place to work on riding skills but I think the best course of action would be to take a riding school first and then that way you know that when you go to the track you are practicing correct techniques and not just working on perfecting bad habits.

Now, how would you describe "basic" techniques that you don't think can be practiced at the track vs fundamental skills/techniques that can be practiced on the track?

Old 06-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Misti
Now, how would you describe "basic" techniques that you don't think can be practiced at the track vs fundamental skills/techniques that can be practiced on the track?
I was mostly thinking the very basic stuff that new riders are learning. There needs to be some skills there to improve. Rossi himself could be out there giving pointers, but all that great info would be no good to someone still struggling with MSF level skills and a waste of money and time for everyone.

Is Laguna Seca the best place to be in 4th gear for the first time on a new to you F2?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 PM

I just did my first track day on Monday. It was a blast. I've only been riding street for about 3 months so far but rode and raced dirtbikes for the last 13 years. Skills transferred somewhat. Riding on the street I was always hesitant to lean the bike way over. In dirt, we had ruts or berms that kept us planted. The track day gave the confidence to now lay the bike over and trust the tires. I also worked on body positioning Definitely see more track days in my future.

Greg

Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
I was mostly thinking the very basic stuff that new riders are learning. There needs to be some skills there to improve. Rossi himself could be out there giving pointers, but all that great info would be no good to someone still struggling with MSF level skills and a waste of money and time for everyone.

Is Laguna Seca the best place to be in 4th gear for the first time on a new to you F2?
Of course. At the California Superbike School the requirement is that you are comfortable with the basic controls of the motorcycle. You already know how to ride but we do take students who are quite new to riding. Sometimes that is better than taking riders that have been riding for many years as they usually have more bad habits to break

Any track is fine to be in 4th gear for the first time on a new to you F2 as long as you approach the track carefully and follow the drills. It's never a good idea to haul *** into a corner that you don't know on a new track, especially if you are doing a 4th gear no brakes drill. We tell our students to try using 4th gear no brakes but to BRAKE if needed. Common sense really, take it easy, learn the track, do the drills and reap the rewards!

Old 01-03-2023, 04:45 AM

Ten tips to help build your bike-riding confidence
  1. Start off-road. For absolute beginners or those who haven't hit the saddle since high school, Donovan says getting off-road for the first few rides is vital.
  2. Practice, practice, practice
  3. Share the ride.
  4. Maintain your machine.
  5. Ride high.
  6. Take your time.