Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Hill Hopping, Holy crap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill Hopping, Holy crap!

So the other day I decided to take the scenic rout to a friends house to help him work on his bike.. I didnt know the road very well because it was a detour to a closed road. but I found it very fun. lots of twists and turns and it was a 55mph rd.

anyways... I was going over some large hills (and everyone knows the awesome feeling in a car going over a hill fast) and it was even better on a bike. so the next hill i was going about 40 and the base, and sped up to 80ish by the top. this launched me off the hill like a ramp, I was flying through the air the whole way down the other side of the hill and landed doing a wheelie for a second then brought the front wheel down. I was so shaken I pulled over at the bottom on a bridge and got off my bike for a few mins.

now that taught me a lesson, I know i was being stupid and im lucky I landed on 2 wheels and not on my ***. but the bad part is I am so paranoid that even when speeding up fast when the front tire gets light and comes off the ground it freaks me out. Just thought i would share my little adventure, anyone else hill-hop on a bike?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 PM

I always slow when coming to the top of a hill, because I dont know whats over the other side (stopped car, road kill, Amish horse crap).

Too bad you didnt have a Go Pro, would be some sweet footage to see for sure!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 AM

LOL I've done that before, next time your airborne use some rear brake jk.

Good on ya for not panicking and keeping it upright.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I stopped doing it after I put the valve cover of my 750 into my kneecap years ago.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Haha, yea I wished I had a gopro to watch myself. I've only ridden about 4-5k miles do I'm fairly new.... Def don't plan on doing it again anytime soon. Maybe one day when I'm more experienced lol. And a much smaller hill.

Timbuctwo- howd you do that ? Did you crash or just land wrong

Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lewisF4i
Timbuctwo- howd you do that ? Did you crash or just land wrong
I'm 6'1", long legged and was about vertical when landing. It was about the third time I did it but a little more throttle that time. I decided to retire my hill jumping career after touch down.

Hats off to Evel Knievel.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After discovering a new exciting place to eat I was in a particularly good mood on the way home and was a bit exuberant in letting weight off of the seat and pegs and I went over them and had both wheels off the ground on my S1000. Traction control had no idea what to make of it. :lol:

Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Ive never hill hopped, but i have came off the top in a wheelie. It's fun but be safe and don't overdue it, always go slower if your unsure about the area or the road you are on.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it intentionally. Our suspension isn't designed to take those types of jolts. Pretty much asking to shorten its life in the very least.

Further unless you've had your suspension set for your weight (or are lucky enough to have the stock suspension designed for your body), you're gonna prolly bottom out the suspension, putting a massive traction demand on the tires. Demand too much and whatever tire it is will slip.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I ever blow the suspension on this bike, it'll just give me an excuse to starve myself for a nice set of shiny Ohlins. ;D

Quick Reply: Hill Hopping, Holy crap!