Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Wrist pain need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wrist pain need help

Just upgraded to the cbr600rr from an r3 two months ago. I don't grip the throttle or the clutch side grip hard, but my wrists start to have pain after more than 30 minutes of riding. I also do wear short gloves, should I upgrade to forearm gloves or will I get used to this? Thanks

Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there - I just recently got some Progrips 719 (£15) and they definately reduce strain on my wrists. Can ride alot longer now. Cheers.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

You could also look into some risers for your bars. Some people do that to relieve wrist pain.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Try keeping your elbows bent a little. This will force you to support your upper body from your core and your arms, thus taking pressure off the wrists.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Oh okay, Ill try leaning more in towards the handle bars, thanks

Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no idea what your riding posture is like but...

When I started out I could barely make it a few blocks before my wrists were almost burning from the pain, or I could barely hold the clutch / front brake at a light because everything from the wrist to the fingers were numb as hell.

I looked for any solution I could , tank grips, better hand grips, heavier bar ends to help with vibration. You name it,
Turns out I just had to hold myself up more using my core. (like 74demon mentioned).

After I paid attention to my posture I quickly realized what the problem was. Now I can do 1000 km a day with no wrist problem. (maybe the odd numbness when I get fatigued)
My old bike was an 1984 yamaha seca lol , so I didn't have to worry about it and was totally unaware of how important posture is on a sport bike.

I know you say you came from another bike and your not new to riding , but I have no clue what the positioning on an R3 is like compared to the 600rr.
Maybe you just need to compensate for the difference.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 PM

Yea the r3 is way more upright, I feel like I'm putting to much body weight on my wrists.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Try keeping your elbows bent a little. This will force you to support your upper body from your core and your arms, thus taking pressure off the wrists.
What he said. Takes some conscious training until it become natural.
However, maybe you want a more sport touring style bike? Look at how you really want to ride every day, the next 5 years.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 600RR is the only street bike I've ever owned. The first 2 years I had my 600 I suffered from severe wrist pain and numbness in my hands. I eventually realized that when I was on the freeway doing 75+, the wind resistance was pushing my body back, keeping the weight off my hands, and my pain/numbness would subside. As soon as I hit traffic or slow rural roads it would set back in. I had rode my buddies 01 F4I, which has a much more upright riding position, and had no problems. My solution has been to sit up as much as possible and try to keep weight off my wrists. It has helped, but on long (2+ hour) rides, I still have problems. I've read that the 600RR is kind of low on the list of comfortable sport bikes, at least around my 600s generation. I commute a lot on it, and putt around on local roads in the afternoons, which has begged the question if it's the right bike... BUT, when I take it out to that mountain pass that winds around like an earthworm on acid, all the way to 11,000 feet and back... I can't imagine a better bike to be on.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Have you tried squeezing the tank with your legs and utilizing more lower body to help ease the stress on your wrists? When you ride a more aggressive style Sportbike the tendency is to push down on the bars and grip too tightly as opposed to using your legs to squeeze the tank, bend your arms a bit and push forward on the bars....see if that helps. What else might this kind of body position help with?

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Wrist pain need help