Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started on dirt bikes like someone else up thread. A sears mini bike with a Briggs and Stratton (they make or made lawn mower engines back then). Then a Honda SL70 and then various YZ's and CR's...and so on and so on. Even being an "experienced" bike rider I still bought myself a Yamaha SRX250 to get my feet wet on the street and get my bike license. Rode it for a couple of months, scraped the pegs on Angeles Crest and after that bought a beater Ninja 600. Bigger. Heavier. Faster. The transition took a day or two. The basics are the same. Figure out what you've got and go from there.

The OP seemed to me to be someone who "wanted" to ride a motorcycle. Who doesn't? They're F**king cool But as many posters stated up thread, they aren't for everybody. Some folks just don't possess the right skill set. You could argue that anyone can "eventually" learn but if it's that hard in the first place? You probably don't belong on a motorbike. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and get on with your life. No embarrassment. Heck, I've been riding since I was 10 or 12? 40 plus years and I don't possess "mad skills" LOL. I'm just adequate and survive because I've racked up lots of miles. Surviving seat of your pants experience is the best tool for mediocre folks like me.

You can watch all the videos and read all the books. But if you don't have the "innate" tools, most of which are pretty basic, you don't belong on a bike. And again, no biggy, it's just not for you.

I've been rear ended on a bike. I forgot to put the kick stand up (70's bike) and did a lovely high side. I still have a pin in my elbow from that. I got my first speeding ticket on a bike in 2015 when I was 52 (I consider this milestone as quite an accomplishment ). I've been on and off of bikes most of my life. But it never felt "forced" to be on a bike. It has always been a natural feeling and one of joy.

I'm still apprehensive...always aware. I've racked up tons of miles in cars and on bikes and something I always do, both for entertainment and for learning, is always watching what other drivers are doing and why they are doing it. I treat it like a game. A game of paying attention. After many years you just know who the A holes are and adjust. Watch, watch, watch. After awhile it becomes second nature to adjust based on what you expect. Someone is driving in a certain manner and you just know what to do and not to do around them. It becomes second nature. I've avoided so many things because red flags jump out and being on a motorcycle, your surroundings are paramount.

Hmmm...kinda sorta got off topic! So here's my take on 600's as a first bike. It ain't no different than any other CC class of bike. Understand what you have. Respect it even if it's a 50CC scooter. UNDERSTAND IT. If it's difficult for you then you are doing something wrong - or - you don't belong on a street bike? Don't force it, it either feels right or it don't.

A pic of my first street bike. As close as I could get to an RD400 without spending the money!

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)-srx250rt.jpg  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:49 PM

My personal advice is if you want a super sports and worry a 600+ is a bit much - get an MC17/19/22 CBR or Yammy, Kwakka 250 I4, 400cc I4 if you don't have LAMS laws. Not everyone buys a V8 when they start driving. The riding position will set you up as it will be the same, power band is much the same - being an I4 it will fly in the higher rev ranges rather than torque and mid range you'll find in singles and twins. 45 hp is tons of power for starting off when you have little or no experience on a bike, I was happy enough with 45 hp on my FZR for 5 years coming from 2 years on a 50cc scooter. When you feel ready to upgrade 600cc will feel more natural than coming from a smaller cc or lower powered machine. Granted the times when you go full throttle on a 250 and a 600 will be different. I stayed with the 250 a while because I loved the way I could ride it and the way it screamed in the upper rev ranges when it truly comes alive. Bigger bike will be similar instead of 19 or 20,000 rpm redline it'll be 15,000, what you do at full throttle you do at half throttle etc - generally speaking.

Last edited by smokinjoef2; 01-21-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: generally speaking
Old 07-26-2018, 04:37 PM

I really like the 600 too. I used to drive a 50cc scooter before. Honda has really made it everybodys sport bike. Its surprisingly easy and flexible to get into even as a first real motorcycle.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread seems a little old but looks pertinent and timeless so I'll chime in with my two bits. In my opinion a new rider should pick something up just shy of the 600 class rocket. You will feel the road better and understand the dynamics of two wheels under power. Much nimbler, better handling, more forgiving, etc. Yes, I'll be the first to admit that any thrill seeking soul will quickly wish they had acquired something a little more spicy but the initial techniques learned on a flea flicker are completely worth it. And take a damn motorcycle class - The knowledge of proper front/rear brake application and handlebar usage alone will save your life someday!

My first scoot was a CM400T picked up as a teenager in the mid 80's. The joy of owning that thing did not last long. But I learned how to tinker, that a screwdriver was not a good tool to change a tire with, the fuel reserve was a useful feature, a chain was designed to be lubed/adjusted and many more nits and bits. The next steed purchased was a Suzuki GS550E - After having that two banger Honda for a year and a half or so I learned to respect something designed to perform at a much higher level. But the riding characteristics changed considerably. Not sure if I would have wanted to learn to ride on that thing.

On an end note I recently ended up with an '06 Ninja EX500R - a trade up maneuver to get me a better bagged touring bike for next year. What I have found out is this is a pretty sweet little bike. Not sure what the Honda equivalent is but it is a joy to ride. I have been riding it while my Hurricane is down and I'm not unhappy at all, so easy to handle and tracks perfectly. Although under powered for me it will wind up to a good clip in a hurry as well. Just saying they have come a long way with the pre "kill yourself stupidly" models. Maybe a first timer would want to give something similar a go first.

Last edited by GronkFries; 09-01-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a 600 is too big for a first bike. Americans especially have a "bigger bikes are faster" and "small bikes are for wusses" mentality which just isn't true. Racers in Europe are faster in general because they started on 125s and have excellent control as a result. Work on accuracy first, speed will come naturally.
it works the same on the street. Building competence doesn't require a machine that will break the speed limit in first gear, just something that can keep up with the flow of traffic. Guys buy 600s and 1000s because they want to impress their buddies.
​​I once went riding on back roads with friend who was on his 1200cc BMW and I was on a 750 Norton which might make 50 hp on a good day. I was dropping him consistently, corner after corner and he said "that bike's fast".
"No," I said, I'M fast."
​​

Old 05-29-2021, 11:24 AM
Default 600rr as first bike

Hi my name is Richard and I have a 2006 honda cbr600rr wich I've just got 2 weeks ago. In 42 years old. I grew up racing motorcross 125 - 500. My first road bike was a 1999 r6 and I loved it. I then had a gsxr 600 strad.. Wich I liked.. I then took a ten year break riding only motorcross bikes. I then buy this 2006 honda cbr600rr... And wow the clutch has no friction zone. We're my r6 you could roll forward just on the clutch... Not with this cbr.. You have to give it slight rpm to get rolling. And it will take a bit of training to get used to it... And I realise and except I need to learn from someone because if I don't ill make a mistake... My friend will take me to a car park and teach me.. There's no way I'd get rid of it if it scares me.. You train and overcome

​​​

Old 01-14-2022, 07:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think first you need to start it from 250. after getting experience then go to 600.

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (02-20-2024)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:38 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I enjoy this thread, because I started at a 954cc. Seeing that people have regrets buying the 600 makes me feel less irresponsible
After 4 years of owning my 954 I still enjoy it everytime I take it out. Not a single thing not to like, except for the fuel consumption maybe

Old 01-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I do not regret starting on my F4i - same power as a 600rr. Had it for 19 years. Some people just don't know how to respect the power of a bike.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

That is so very true. The power of such bikes is very often underestimated.
These days 150bhp does not sound like much but the acceleration of it is something I have never encountered before, and so far I have not met many who could even keep up.
I'm convinced that the 600rr is a great bike and would be plenty for many. The truth is that my wife pointed me at this bike when I was looking for one.
she said: "what do you think of this blue one?" Me:..... yeah, the color is great!
Never thought I would get away with a supersport and my generally concerned and worried wife.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)