CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   (Debate) Street vs Track: which demands more from the rider? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/debate-street-vs-track-demands-more-rider-140723/)

Kuroshio 07-30-2012 06:52 PM

(Debate) Street vs Track: which demands more from the rider?

While at the bike bikini wash, I started discussing something with raylee. Which one demands more from the rider? The track, with its greater speeds, definitely demands more riding skill in think. But at the same time it removes many of the hazards found on the street. Hazards which demand skills as well.

For example, raylee mentioned line selection at the track. On the street, the choices of lines thru a turn are greatly narrowed. Sometimes down to almost 1. With the consequences of missing the line being injury instead of lost seconds. But the higher speeds of the track demands quicker reaction time and more precision, for example.

So what's everyone's take?

zaqwert6 07-30-2012 07:02 PM

Neither.

If you are riding well within the practical limits of your ability, then neither demands more than the other.

If you ride beyond those limits, doesn't matter whether your on a track or the street.

The difference is you can get away with more stupidity at the track than you typically can on the street.

Thats why most riders should be learning at the track , cause most riders are 'stupid' but they don't know it yet and when they find out on the street , it's often too late.

;)

Kuroshio 07-30-2012 07:06 PM

Interesting view. Figured you'd toss something in it I wasn't quite expecting :)

zaqwert6 07-30-2012 07:14 PM

;)

Figured my mear posting would cause 'dread' at the sight of.

But seriously , I know I sound like a broken record but "skills" are the least of most riders problems.

If they used thier brains first most would never be in the situations they get themselves in in the first place. It's not about learning how to get out of trouble , it's about learning when your about to put yourself in it.

I can teach you how to put yourself out when your on fire but wouldn't it be better if you never set yourself on fire in the first place?

Kuroshio 07-30-2012 07:22 PM

Of course it's better to never get into trouble. But something I think we might agree on is that many riders restrict themselves more mentally.

The skill is there. They just don't believe it. The mental aspect of this sport is enormous. Part of why I keep trying to make ppl think ;)

zaqwert6 07-30-2012 08:04 PM

I disagree.

If your "restricting" yourself its because your unsure, unaware, unskilled, un-tested, out of your comfort zone and so on.

It's in your best interest to not believe it.

If you don't "know" you have the skill , you better not start depending on it.

I understand the thrill of riding but its not like jumping out of plane and your parachute failed.

It's jumping out of a plane and your not even sure if you have one till you pull the cord.

This is another one I ought to stay out of I guess......

Kuroshio 07-30-2012 09:03 PM

On this one, I guess we'll agree to disagree. There have been incidents where another person's stupidity forced me to tap levels of skill I had but never believed till I used them.

But that's neither here nor there. And contrary to popular belief, and I'm pretty egoless here... Or have less ego than I normally carry :) So no need to bow out cause you disagree with me or anyone. Dissenting opinions makes those watching think as well.

newb craig 07-31-2012 03:19 AM

Gotta agree with zaqwert here. I don't think anyone has an underlying skill which comes out in danger. If you're not conscious of how you're reacting then it's just an instinctive thing. If you stay upright then it's down to luck and you can only ride that for so long.

The scary thing is some people probably do stuff in danger by mistake then think, "oh hey, I just trail braked through there" then think they can do it all the time. If you want a technique to use, go practice somewhere safe.

roboto65 07-31-2012 07:59 AM

I know we have all read the Twist of the Wrist I always try to think about the saying you have Ten dollars regardless don't overspend lest you run out of money.

I think the street is worse because of cars,sand,general crap in the road. The distracted driver I could keep going atleast on the track you do not have to worry about the cages running you over after you wreck.

gotcbr 07-31-2012 02:45 PM

Kuro, you really need to do a trackday. ;-) So many ans will be revealed to you.

There's a quote by Albert Einstein that I'll refer to you... "In theory, theory & practice are the same... In practice (reality), they are not."