CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/corners-speed-gear-guidelines-133664/)

yumoncbr 01-18-2012 12:05 AM

Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?

Can you give me "guideline" on gear selection and speed doing corners? Like what gear will you be in if you are making the corners at 40, 50 60 etc.

Kuroshio 01-18-2012 12:48 AM

I dunno if you're gonna get anything except opinion, Yumi. Its gonna vary by bike, rider and skill

yumoncbr 01-18-2012 12:57 AM

yeah, just opinion or how you guys ride is good. I do my own thing without anybody teaching me. So like I said "guideline"

tucsondude 01-18-2012 01:02 AM

Yumon,
1st your not at redline yet... or on the other end look at page 56 of your owners manual, when on a flat surface at sea level 0% humidity, 70F, and High pressure.

but depending on what comes after the turn above 50 2nd may actually be better than 1st to save on time shifting, or unsettlign the bike since 99% of riders are not pro enough. this also applies to accelerating through a turn, if your at redline or the limiter are you out of room to accelerate? willl this shoot you off at the tangent to your line? is all that power even useable?

I read nothing of this thread but skimming the first post.

Kuroshio 01-18-2012 01:33 AM

Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?

Split into new thread to separate topic from countersteering thread

yumoncbr 01-18-2012 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life (Post 1125308)
2nd gear is good...especially downhill cornering.....sharp corners...in control, holding your line...feels really good to be able to control the machine, and make it do what you want, effortlessly...slow or fast? Don't matter...stay relax, smooth & easy....I think it's like holding the bars like a golf club, if like you are holding a live bird in you palm. You want to hold it so the bird won't fly away...but not too tight, you'll suffocate and kill the bird.

(took estate's response from original thread)

turns around where I took sunrise pics, when I first went around that, I started with 35. I can do 50, but 45 is comfortable for me now. Guys in group ride do them like 60. It's nice to ride with them, but they are gone in front of me, and I really cannot study the line they are taking. So I just do my own thing

estate4life 01-18-2012 03:16 AM

It shows the maturity in your skills. I believe you're only pushing 75%.... Many newer rider may be pressured to keep up, now that's when things may go wrong. Therefore it is important that we stay in our comfort zone, work our way up.....my comfort zone is being 1 gear under...meaning if the corner can be entered using 3rd gear, I'll go in using 2nd....This has become a habit which I'm very comfortable with...(some rely more on braking). Then find the point within each corner, to open throttle out safely.....I've seen your video Yum...by any means you're NOT slow....& Your line is smooth/crisp.....I'm just piss I'm not there riding on a Sunday... LOL...

Originally Posted by yumoncbr (Post 1125309)

turns around where I took sunrise pics, when I first went around that, I started with 35. I can do 50, but 45 is comfortable for me now. Guys in group ride do them like 60. It's nice to ride with them, but they are gone in front of me, and I really cannot study the line they are taking. So I just do my own thing

MadHattr059 01-18-2012 04:58 AM

A lot depends on how many times I've been through a corner. I never try to
street run a corner balls to the wall. I aproach them all with a judged reserve of
speed. See how well you and the bike do the first time and then start (incrementally)
pick up the pace. Every corner is going to have it's own best speed for you and your bike.

That said, for me, it's more about what rpm i'm pulling. Since I've already crossed that
line of slower reflexes from age, I generally don't wind it out to the top-end much.
I generally sport in the 8-10 grand range. Higher than that (on the streets) the
throttle response becomes too abrupt for me to be smooth. Lower and I'm not making the HP to pull hard as I accelerate.

Ern

estate4life 01-18-2012 11:11 AM

+1 what Kuro said...every bike, rider, road condition, skills varies...therefore it's great to share experiences from each member & we absorb what's suitable.

tucsondude 01-18-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr (Post 1125309)

^this is good.
I am guessing the speed limit is 35, in which case i would highly recommend
1. knowing the road
2. inspecting the road at 10-15 over
3. 80-90%, for some people this is scraping stock pegs, and to others a spirited cruise.

This is based off the speeds you state above.
if you run at 80+% on an unfamiliar road, you will be a cripple.

Depending on if i am pacing the entire route at 1 speed to work on smoothness/lines/corners, or accelerating between turns, i would take speeds like that in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. for how i ride i typically would stay in 3rd, enough power but not too buzzy through that whole range.