Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What should you do? #3

Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What should you do? #3

Here's the setup: torrential downpour earlier but it's not raining any more. You're on the highway, taking the exit ramp. And at the bottom of the ramp is deep water, spanning the entire ramp. Based on the cars going thru ahead, it'll go past your rims easily. And obviously you can't turn around since you're on the exit ramp already, coming downhill towards it.

What should you do?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM

And do take in account the "coming downhill" part, meaning you'll have extra inertia to deal with. Along with highway speed to shed

Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get wet.

Slow down but keep steady on the throttle the bike will cut a path thru the water. I unintentionally drove my Magna through water about a foot and a half deep at about 35 mph it pulled my feet off the pegs and scared the crap out of me but the bike stayed steady.

I think a bike in a straight line anyway is better than a car the front tire cuts a path for the rear tire and our tires have a curve that naturally sheds water out to the side unlike a car tire.

Riding in the rain is not that bad on a bike but you do have to pay attention alot more in the turns and when applying the brakes.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shed as much speed as you can, keep the bike as vertical as you can, and ride through it.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone is pretty much nailing this one. The slower the speed the less chance of
hydroplaning. I will mention, if it's been raining that hard, you can consider the
pavement adhesion as good as dry pavement (assuming quality street tires).

In other words, unless you were already riding like an idiot and the ramp is really short,
you should be able to slow to a walking pace and slow-roll without issue.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Well my concern when I encountered it wasn't so much the water than the cars coming up behind me. I can shed speed faster than they can react on wet pavement. So I did have to take it a little faster than I wanted, rooster tails and all.

But yeah, upright and steady throttle. Pants changing required cause of how much water I threw up

Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Well my concern when I encountered it wasn't so much the water than the cars coming up behind me. I can shed speed faster than they can react on wet pavement. So I did have to take it a little faster than I wanted, rooster tails and all.

But yeah, upright and steady throttle. Pants changing required cause of how much water I threw up

"Water"

Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Search this Thread