CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   Conquering SRs: Accidental or Intentional? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/conquering-srs-accidental-intentional-131338/)

Kuroshio 10-05-2011 04:02 PM

Conquering SRs: Accidental or Intentional?

"SR" is a term Keith Code uses: Survival Reactions. They're basically involuntary adjustments you make when you think / feel something is dangerous. Like over-braking for a turn or target fixation. If you're gonna become a better rider, you have to beat those SRs.

So the question is how did you do it? Was it by accident? Like you were coming into a turn too hot (you thought) but couldn't do anything but take it as is. And when you made it through, you realized "Hey, I can do that!". Or was it intentional? For example, you looked at a corner you always took at a comfortable speed and said "**** it! I'm taking it 10 mph faster this time"?

MadHattr059 10-05-2011 05:49 PM

I try to make every mile a prep for the "moment". Every stop, turn, acceleration, I try
to guage the results and impress them into 'muscle memory'.

The type of "SR", you are refering to, is when the body DOESN'T already know what
to do. If you train now, your body will fall back on that training, in the crisis.

That's how I stopped, 2" from a t-bone, when all I perceived was the hands on the
wheel of the car next to me, rotating in my direction. I remember seeing that, and my
next concious thought was, "Wow! I did it!", while looking at the side of the car,
directly in front of me. I started out at about 35mph in 3rd gear. The next thing I
know, I'm stopped in first gear, ready to go if I had needed to. Don't remember
anything between the 2 moments, though, down-shifting, brakeing, nothing. It's all a blank, to this day. But. my body knew what to do, and did it.

Ern

zaqwert6 10-07-2011 05:30 PM

You just have to "safely" put yourself into those situations and see that the correct reaction is truly correct. Once you believe it and trust it , it becomes your natural reaction.

scorpionvmu 11-20-2011 01:19 PM

not time for that yet for me, got my first 4k miles this season and next season will be more focused on things like reaction and control in situations like that, plus cornering acceleration and braking with better precision.

i fund myself in few situations this season where my body just took over and i didnt crash where it was at least 80% possibility. (not my mistakes by the way, stupid drivers)

it wasnt time for me yet to practice things like that because after 3k miles or so, i got so comfy and relaxed that the bike took a mind of its own, i didnt like it. like they say, when you think you can ride, your a$$ will be put in check by your own bike. i just took it back to basics and everything worked out.

cant wait for the next season.....im about to take my final ride of the season and winterize my bike today :(