Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

clutchless gearchange

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only on a track do I downshift, but I never upshift without the clutch in....hint hint. I use GP shift, so my gearing is backwards(1 up /5 down) on both my racebike and streetbike.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it this AM, ironically, before seeing this thread.
<sorry for digging up a slightly old thread>

The CBR upshifts without the clutch just as easily as any japanese dirt bike I've ever been on. Downshifting works, too, but as has been said, you have to work a bit more to make revs want to match properly in order to avoid excessive shock loads on the tranny.

As a side note: You can shift any automobile without the clutch, too, although you'll ultimately wear things such that you'll make it want to pop out of the gear(s) you clutchlessly shift to most. As with OTR trucks, you _must_ match revs with your foot off the clutch pedal to accomplish this safely and successfully, but I've done it literally thousands of times. I find the big trucks to be easier to shift w/o the clutch than synchronized gearboxes in cars.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM

i am going to try shifting up without the clutch now... i always thought that it would be bad news for the tranny but everyone is doing it haha

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM

I find that when trying to get up to speed fast that shifting without the clutch is a good thing and makes the shifting faster. But under normal conditions I just use the clutch. Either way

Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a pringel air shifter. It works great for fast shifting under wide open throttle :-).

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

This thread is hilarious. Thanks for bumping it.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a Power Commander just add the Dynojet Quickshifter. With it you can do full throttle clutchless upshifts.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by backdoc
If you have a Power Commander just add the Dynojet Quickshifter. With it you can do full throttle clutchless upshifts.
The quickshifter isn't "full throttle" as it cuts the engine momentarily to allow for the shifting. It's the same as letting off throttle except you don't have to do the hand movement.

They ARE nice to have on the track though....for street it's absolutely useless unless you're just trying to be cool/a douche bag.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
The quickshifter isn't "full throttle" as it cuts the engine momentarily to allow for the shifting. It's the same as letting off throttle except you don't have to do the hand movement.

They ARE nice to have on the track though....for street it's absolutely useless unless you're just trying to be cool/a douche bag.
So you're saying clutchless up shift = douche bag? Or power commander upshift = douche bag?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by xricer
So you're saying clutchless up shift = douche bag? Or power commander upshift = douche bag?
I was actually just being an *******. But someone who has a PC with a quick shifter (which requires more hardware than just the PC) and doesn't ride track is kidding him/herself. Unless you have a physical disability, it is useless on the street, 100%. Usually guys who do that kind of stuff are douche bags...universally.

Quick Reply: clutchless gearchange