CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   The Clutch "Klunk" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/clutch-klunk-149885/)

outsider 11-04-2013 04:35 PM

The Clutch "Klunk"

I was just wondering how bad it is for the clutch when you get that loud "Clunk" noise when upshifting after accelerating in low gear, such as in traffic or just because. It's the hard "bang" you get when you've put the bike in a gear when you're going way too fast. It seems almost impossible to avoid. What is this and how destructive is it on mechanical parts?

FOGeologist 11-05-2013 02:50 PM

"So I went to the docta, and said, 'It hoits when I do dis!! an he said, 'Stop doin' it!!' "

outsider 11-05-2013 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by FOGeologist (Post 1256902)
"So I went to the docta, and said, 'It hoits when I do dis!! an he said, 'Stop doin' it!!' "

Yeah. I know it sounds like a mindless question FOGeologist. Maybe you just don't understand the question. The F2 clutch is already very loud. The reason I put this in the "Technique" section is because I figured maybe there's something I can change in my technique or shift timing to avoid the hard "Klunk". The other day, I accelerated to pass a slow car. Started in 2nd or 3rd gear, got up to 9 thousand rpm. Bike's always klunked upshifting after quick accelerations like that, I dunno if some of you track people experience this?

FOGeologist 11-07-2013 08:40 AM

Does this happen at low RPMs and load? If I recall, it gets worse with the lower gear you select, right?

outsider 11-08-2013 08:05 AM

It happens when im going much faster than i would normally upshift. Only experienced it in lower gears. Its not under load because im using the clutch. I know im timing the shift ok so its not that. Also, its the same sound as you'd get if you downshift your bike into say, 2nd gear while going to fast, like 40 or so. Its that hard, hollow drop noise you get from the clutch basket and you have to almost force it into gear. Im pretty sure this is normal for trannys, cars do the same thing. The faster youre travelling in lower gears, the harder it is to upshift to the next gear. You have to bypass the next highest gear and go to 3rd or 4th. I can't do that with a motorcycle. Have you ever tried to upshift your cars manual tranny into 2nd gear while youre going close to 40 mph? Its like that. U have to force it and its loud and not buttery smooth like usual. Its not dependant on how hard you accelerate, but how fast youre going (how fast the tranny is spinning?). Take off really fast in 1st or second gear, then upshift. Youll get that clunk sound. Im sure theres nothing wrong with my bike, its just that the tranny "thinks" it should be 2 gears up for my speed, but i have to go through 2nd to get to 3rd. When people on the street accelerate to insane speeds while in 2nd gear, do they slow down before they upshift or what? I thought these bikes were designed to be shifted "late". Im not ready to do clutchless shifting yet since this is still baffling me. Plus i havent been convinced yet that not using the clutch is less destructive than using it. Thanks for the response to such a "dumb" question :)

Kuroshio 11-08-2013 09:29 AM

Honestly it does sound fishy, mechanically speaking. I'd shift my F4i at 11k- 12k 2nd to 3rd without any clunky noise. Definitely not forced either. Now with my quick shifter I barely use the clutch.

I'd double check the slack in the clutch cable imo. What's your throttle position when shifting btw? I mean when you pull the clutch to shift are the engine rpms climbing?

outsider 11-14-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks. I had the clutch cable replaced the last time I had a rear tire put on by my mechanic. So I assume it's as it should be. He even rode the bike up the street and went through the gears to make sure things were o.k. Even when he went through and cleaned the carbs, put a chain and sprocket on and took it up and down the street and then on the highway (and i'm sure he got on it since i wasn't there), there was never any mention of abnormalities. Clunks, weird noises or anything. I'm starting to think this is a normal thing for this bike and people just dont notice it. I do wear one of those helmets, with the open chin and clear, flip up visor. So I hear a lot more than other riders. Whenever I pull the clutch in to change gears, I always make sure i'm ALL the way off the throttle. I don't have to pull the clutch very far to change, either. I see guys do that a lot, where the wrist timing is off and they unintentionally throttle it when the change gears. Definitely not a good habit.