Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Clocked up 500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clocked up 500 miles

As the topic says just clocked up 500 miles on my new cbr600rr, and it has been very elightening, as this is the first bike I have owned in 30 years.

I am getting along quite well not great but getting there I think, my cornering is not that great as yet, I think I am riding a bit tense my arms are not relaxed and this seems to make the bike feel awkward and this is not helping my cornering.

Also need to work more on my gear selection for corners as I sometimes find that I am having to back off on the throttle as to high a gear, which again is not helping with the cornering, when this happens I go back and try the corner in a lower gear and find that with keeping power on a I get round much better.

So any comment advice greatley appreciated thanks.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi seren,

Congrats on the new bike...& to riding again. ;-)

Yeah, don't worry, you'll get more relaxed as you ride more & get back into the feel of riding. Then, that tenseness will go away.

One thing that I notice w/ new riders is (not that you are - this is just for reference), they'll have their arms basically locked straight w/a death-grip on the bars...causing numb hands/arms. As you've ridden b/f, you already recognize this situation. Often, riders will compensate w/ stiff arms to compensate for weak abdominals/core. They'll brace their arms to help hold up their bodies, when they should be using a strong mid-section to support their body, & to have relaxed arms.

As for cornering, remember that the bike will want to turn in once you lean in. Approach the turn from the outside & hit your apex properly. Try not to be choppy w/ the throttle. Again, I think you already recognize this b/c you know what's happening & are practicing to correct it.

Welcome back to riding. Don't worry, its going to come back to you. You'll be an "old salt" again in no time! ;-)

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice new bike , you sound real pleased albeit a bit cautious ... I know I would be !

More miles more familiarity and more relaxed stance on it & reckon will see you at one
with the bike ... Steady progression you'll be good with it .....Have fun man

Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks to you both for your comments and advice and yes I am cautious vbg got first service this week then i hope to clock up a few more miles this weekend if the weather here in Wales permits far to much rain, thanks again for the encouragement.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure thing! Enjoy your ride this weekend.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM

Quick update, bike seviced friday out on Saturday nice and dry but way to windy on the coast where I live, so waited until Sunday and had a great day glorious weather.

I managed to clock up over 300 miles over the weekend, felt more relaxed on the bike and was not so rigid, my cornering was improving with each mile on the twisty roads on the wales coast.

I was only using 3 rd and 4 th gear on the bends and I found I could keep the power on more not going fast enough fo 5th or 6 th, just rolling the throtle back and forth as I entered and excited, did not have to use the brakes that much so very pleased, there were a few stupid car drivers about but I guess that's part of it now .

I am hoping that the weather holds and I get a few more miles in during the week if work does not get in the way I think the gear selection for the corners is very important on this bike, not like the bikes I rode in the past so a BIG learning curve, will keep you posted on my progress.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by seren
As the topic says just clocked up 500 miles on my new cbr600rr, and it has been very elightening, as this is the first bike I have owned in 30 years.

I am getting along quite well not great but getting there I think, my cornering is not that great as yet, I think I am riding a bit tense my arms are not relaxed and this seems to make the bike feel awkward and this is not helping my cornering.

Also need to work more on my gear selection car accessories for corners as I sometimes find that I am having to back off on the throttle as to high a gear, which again is not helping with the cornering, when this happens I go back and try the corner in a lower gear and find that with keeping power on a I get round much better.

So any comment advice greatley appreciated thanks.
Congrats on the 500 mile mark reached on your new bike. I have yet to reach mine but am getting close!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM

when i bought my used bike it had about 43k on it now it has like 55k and i only rode it 5 months lol

Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Debotane99
Congrats on the 500 mile mark reached on your new bike. I have yet to reach mine but am getting close!
Thanks, well that was a while back and have now got 2000 on the clock, the weather here in the UK is very cold at the moment so only getting the odd hour in here and there, have just put some new tyres on pilot power 2ct's, so as soon as the weather improves will clock up a LOT more I hope.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM

What did you ride before this bike?

Quick Reply: Clocked up 500 miles