Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Body position and stability

Old 10-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a fairly new rider who is still learning as they go, taking the time to read more about the body positioning was rather beneficial. Thanks for posting it and for discussing it.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:20 PM

You are right "The bike itself can force poor riding posture." and most people don't realize that sitting a particular way. I think the Cruiser Riding Posture is the most comfortable posture which is reclined position. Those who love cruiser knows that it really feels like a king while riding. Do you agree?

Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcycleclothinguk
You are right "The bike itself can force poor riding posture." and most people don't realize that sitting a particular way. I think the Cruiser Riding Posture is the most comfortable posture which is reclined position. Those who love cruiser knows that it really feels like a king while riding. Do you agree?
I think you may have the wrong forum. In no way could ANY CBR be called a cruiser. If you are here just to spam, it will be a very short association with us.

Cheers, SB

Old 10-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcycleclothinguk
I agree. Sitting upright is very comfortable. It's the best way to be when going down a straight road for hours on end or watching TV.

But the downside is that it's the worst position to for getting through a turn quickest or safest. And being that we need to turn frequently and usually at great speeds, I'm sticking to the position that the bike works best at and will do my best to not upset the balance or give bad inputs.

Maybe that's why cruiser guys talk about chrome and soft seats instead of body position and throttle control.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Gee, if there was a 'like' button Demon, I'd like your post!

Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by CooleyI
For a fairly new rider who is still learning as they go, taking the time to read more about the body positioning was rather beneficial. Thanks for posting it and for discussing it.

Great!!! Glad you enjoyed the discussion! Please let me know if you have any other questions about riding technique and skills as I've been a riding coach with the California Superbike School for 14 years now

Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Misti
Great!!! Glad you enjoyed the discussion! Please let me know if you have any other questions about riding technique and skills as I've been a riding coach with the California Superbike School for 14 years now
Not CooleyI, but I have certain questions that I've just been thinking about, if anyone can chime in that'd be great-

1) Normal for leg muscles to be tired? After about an hour plus of canyon riding (practicing hanging off in almost every corner) my legs get kinda shakey, esp my thighs. Not sure if I'm just weak and need to gym more, or if I'm tensing unnecessarily?

2) How/where to grip the footpegs? I ride with toes/***** of feet up (that area where it curls in) pointed a little outwards on the pegs, with the heels braced against the rearset, which is how I read I should do it. But when sticking a knee out I feel I don't get as good grip as I would like (my knee feels kinda loose/flappy) If that makes sense?

Still a newbie to cornering, I only started going to canyons this summer, appreciate any advice

Old 10-24-2017, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
Not CooleyI, but I have certain questions that I've just been thinking about, if anyone can chime in that'd be great-

1) Normal for leg muscles to be tired? After about an hour plus of canyon riding (practicing hanging off in almost every corner) my legs get kinda shakey, esp my thighs. Not sure if I'm just weak and need to gym more, or if I'm tensing unnecessarily?

2) How/where to grip the footpegs? I ride with toes/***** of feet up (that area where it curls in) pointed a little outwards on the pegs, with the heels braced against the rearset, which is how I read I should do it. But when sticking a knee out I feel I don't get as good grip as I would like (my knee feels kinda loose/flappy) If that makes sense?

Still a newbie to cornering, I only started going to canyons this summer, appreciate any advice
Legs being tired is normal, it tells me you're supporting your weight with your legs, not your arms.
Foot position sounds alright. Ideally you want the ball of your foot(closer to the toe) to be centered on the very tip of the peg, and your heal will then be able to swivel wherever it needs to be.
Which knee feels flappy? Inner knee or outer? You should be able to move the inner knee fairly freely, while your outer knee needs to be wedged up against the tank, holding your weight, keeping it off the handlebars

Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue

1. Legs getting tired and sore is usually normal, and better then having tired or pumped arms. however, you still could be working a little too hard and making a small adjustment in your position could help.

You say that your thighs are the most sore, sometimes people tend to sit too close to the tank and that means that you have to use the inner thigh muscles to squeeze the tank and they aren't the strongest. If you try and sit back in the seat an inch or two you may find that instead of the upper thigh, the knee/upper quad fits into the tank cut out. This is usually a stronger muscle and tends to give a stronger grip/lock onto the tank. From there if you lift your outside heel up you should feel it jam that knee into the tank even harder. Try that and see if the muscle fatigue lessens.

2. Sound like your toes are placed in the right spot. I have the ***** of my feet on the pegs but I sort of angle my toes down a bit and push back into the foot peg which helps me get more stable and it keeps me more anchored on the bike. You can try with a few slight foot placement differences to see what works best. This isn't as important as getting a good solid lock on with your leg into the tank. Sometimes getting that part right will set your feet/toes in a slightly different position that works best.

Let us know how it goes!!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sjona2011
Legs being tired is normal, it tells me you're supporting your weight with your legs, not your arms.
Foot position sounds alright. Ideally you want the ball of your foot(closer to the toe) to be centered on the very tip of the peg, and your heal will then be able to swivel wherever it needs to be.
Which knee feels flappy? Inner knee or outer? You should be able to move the inner knee fairly freely, while your outer knee needs to be wedged up against the tank, holding your weight, keeping it off the handlebars
The flappy feeling knee is the inside corner side (the one thats supposed to stick out). The outside one generally feels alright. But need to get me some tank grips.
Thanks for the input! Generally sounds like I'm doing alright, it may be that I'm just not used to it and uncertain.

Originally Posted by Misti
1. Legs getting tired and sore is usually normal, and better then having tired or pumped arms. however, you still could be working a little too hard and making a small adjustment in your position could help.

You say that your thighs are the most sore, sometimes people tend to sit too close to the tank and that means that you have to use the inner thigh muscles to squeeze the tank and they aren't the strongest. If you try and sit back in the seat an inch or two you may find that instead of the upper thigh, the knee/upper quad fits into the tank cut out. This is usually a stronger muscle and tends to give a stronger grip/lock onto the tank. From there if you lift your outside heel up you should feel it jam that knee into the tank even harder. Try that and see if the muscle fatigue lessens.

2. Sound like your toes are placed in the right spot. I have the ***** of my feet on the pegs but I sort of angle my toes down a bit and push back into the foot peg which helps me get more stable and it keeps me more anchored on the bike. You can try with a few slight foot placement differences to see what works best. This isn't as important as getting a good solid lock on with your leg into the tank. Sometimes getting that part right will set your feet/toes in a slightly different position that works best.

Let us know how it goes!!
I will try adjusting my position on the seat back more. When I started riding I used to ride with the crotch flush against the tank, altho I try to keep a fist sized gap to the tank now, it may be that I still slide forward unconsciously from habit. I'll keep your tips in mind as I experiment with different positions on the seat and pegs, next time I go canyoning.

Sometimes so difficult to practice, so many things to think about while riding. Where I'm looking, all the body position adjustments, looking thru turn, judging speed, how much to roll on, etc etc... But it's a fun challenge and incredibly rewarding. I'm sure with more practice more and more things will become second nature.

Thanks so much everybody, all invaluable pointers!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body position and stability