Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

ADVICE NEEDED on Which I Should Buy 600CBR or 1000CBR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE NEEDED on Which I Should Buy 600CBR or 1000CBR?

Hello,
I Need Some Advice So Please Go In Depth With What You Have To Say Please.

:::My Experience:::
I'm 22 and I Have Been Riding My Motorcycle Which is a 1987 Honda VFR 700 Interceptor. (old school right?) Anyways I Have Been Riding For Almost 4 Years Now and Have Easily Racked Up 25k Miles on My Bike. I Live In A Mountainous Area With Tons of Hair Pin Turns and Curves For Miles and Miles. I Have Ridden Everywhere In California on My Bike and I Think Its Time For an Upgrade Cause My Bike Is Not Getting Any Younger. I Ride Every Single Day, I've Ridden in Rain Drenched Highways, Since I Live in the Mountain I've Ridden in Snow, I've Even Ridden Through Creeks Doesn't Matter The Element I Never Stop Riding. I Have Spilled My Bike Over About 7 Times Now Ether Moving or Just Standing Wrong and Falling Over.lolz With a Few Close Calls as Well. I Haven't Crashed in About 2 Years Now. This Is The Only Bike I've Owned Besides A Few Old Induros.

I am Not Afraid of Bikes But Rather Respect Them, Living In the Mountains You have No Choice But To or Die on The Turns Up Here.

So This Is Why I Need Advice, as You Read I have an Older Bike But Don't Let Its Age Fool You It's A Fast Motorcycle I've Had it up To 145mph With A Person on The Back and No Wind Shield (which means I could have gone faster) I Know It Was Not Smart but That Was When I First Got It. I am Very Much into The CBR Models Their Performance as Well as Their Reliability Though I've Never Ridden A Next Generation Super Bike and i know What They are Capable of and The Difference in My Bikes Performance and Acceleration and The CBR's.

Reading What You Have Read About Where I Live and Experience What Would You Say To Get and Upgrade To, The 600 CBR or The 1000 CBR?

I'm Not Afraid of Ether One Since I Have So Much Respect for Motorcycles, but A Second Opinion From Others Is Something I Would Like To Hear.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM

Come on FLAT LANDERS!!!

Give Me Some Kind of Advice on What Bike Sounds Best?

I Mean 52 Views Not One Person With Something To Say?!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM

I grew up in the North Georgia mountains and learned to ride bikes there. I honestly can say that in my opinion the 600 would be more fun for those tight turns and short sprints. I have a 1000 now but the only reason I got it is because my wife likes to ride with me and the 600 required lots of shifting and revving when hauling her with me. In a place with tight corners such as s curves and switchbacks, especially switch backs the 600 will turn pretty much equal times through sections. The 1000 will allow you to get away with not shifting near as much, but you will have to be much more mindful of what gear you are in and use more throttle discepline or you could find yourself *** over teakettle. The 1000's of today are not the bikes they were years ago. If you think about the 929 and 954, they basicly were on the same frame as the 600cc F4I with different swing arms and a few tweaks here and there. Nowadays 1000cc bikes are very well thought out and designed. They handle just as well as the super sports (in the right hands) and are much more flickable than they have been in the past. If it were me and I was living in hill country still and did not have a wife chasing me out the door every time I turned around I would be on a 600rr and probably never look back. I live in NC right now not too far from Raleigh, about as good as it gets here is riding down a country road with 2 or 3 tight corners and tons of wide open highway with limited supervision. No fun twisties with banked corners and a guardrail seperating you from finding out if you have good hell insurance. Liter bikes a seriously fast man. I am not saying you cannot handle it and I am not saying that I am a better rider than you. For all I know you would make me look like I am riding lawntractor. What I am saying is that these bikes are really really fast. You are not going to find an area open enough to really get in to what power the liter bike has. I know this because I have ridden some tight stuff with friends who have them back when I was still riding 600's and when we were for example in Deal's Gap they were not running off and huring my feelings. In fact because I was able to focus my attention more on my line than on if I was about to launch myself in to orbit, I was able to pull some of these people. On the street it is the rider most of the time not the bike. Now on the highway a 600 will give you lots of opprotunity to evaluate your friend's integrated taillights and undertails if you were to race them and you were on the 600. The thing is though for everyday riding and what not the big bike is really just a higher fuel bill, more expensive tires, and constantly having to make sure you are not running 85 in a 45 because that is about as slow as this bike wants to go.

Last edited by Stu Pidasso; 10-06-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I think the 600 is more fun to ride, and insurance will be cheaper too.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Default Yes this is 100%

Originally Posted by vfrman
I think the 600 is more fun to ride, and insurance will be cheaper too.

DING DING DING Winner

Oh yeah one more thing. I get a pile of compliments on my liter bike and nobody ever says I should get a bigger bike and things like that. Intersting enough the only people that ever said that to me when I road a 600 are people that do not ride and have no idea what they are talking about. I actually miss my other bikes.

Last edited by Stu Pidasso; 10-06-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

VFR700 down to 600rr? It's okay but you won't have any reserve power if needed? 600rr is fun....900+ & 1000rr fun too but more power when you needed especially uphills....think about it, your upgrading!!!! No disrespect to the 600 class (my previous bike) once I gone to the 900rr...don't ever want to down size. If you respect the power...get a 1000rr...if you don't need as much...600rr is great too...both great bikes but for me, I do want the reserve power when in need.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM

@ Stu Pidasso
That Was What I Needed To Hear. I have money Coming In and I have Alot of Hope For Future Dream Bikes. I Already have 1000cc+ Bike In Mind For A Drag/Speed Bike Why Would I Need 2 Right? I Realize The Power In Which I Need Isn't ***** But Rather Slow and Steady Emphasis on The Steady and Not Really Slow.lolz I have Only Had 1 Other Person Keep up With me on My mountain and That Was Because of HIS Skill Not His Bike Cause I have Burned 600cc and 1000cc Bikes All Day on The Curves Up Here. Also I Would Want Something That Makes Me Better as A Curve Rider Rather Then Straight Aways You Know? Not Saying The 1000cc Bike Can't Handle The Curves Just Saying Like you Were Saying The Power Become More of A Burden Then A Enhancer on These Curvy Roads. So thanks Man For Sure.

@Vfrman
GREAT NAME BTW! lolz
Theres A Local Insurance Company Up Here and Since i Live in A Tiny Town Its Dirt Cheap For Anything You have Which I Love. Tires are A Pain In The *** To buy, idk How Much They Cost For You But I'm Dropping About $230.

How Much is It For Ya'll?

@estate4life
The Acceleration in My Bike Now and The Acceleration in The CBR are Greatly Different. I've Been Pinned Out While A CBR's on A Straight Away Just Smoking Me, Only When We Got to the Curves Again Could I Easily Keep Up. So I'm Thinking I'm Gonna go With the 600cc Cause The Speed and Acceleration as Well as Performance Is Just So Widely Different then My 87 VFR. It Will be A Stepping Stone Up to the 1000cc Bikes Besides I Always Wanted a CBR 600cc Just Because of Its Legendary Racing and Handling on The Track.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Thank You All For Your Input i greatly Appreciate it, Especially You Stu Pidasso.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Just wondering, why do you capitalize every first letter? Makes this post really hard to read.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Avi

I would say the 600 if only because they are quicker to shift side to side, and since you describe tight hairpins it could make a difference.

however, keep in mind that for an every day bike, the VFR is much more comfortable than the CBR-RR . I would either consider a newer VFR, maybe a 600F although it won't be as sportier as the RRs, but then again much better for every day ride.

Quick Reply: ADVICE NEEDED on Which I Should Buy 600CBR or 1000CBR?