Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

What is the coolest riding gear? Temp wise

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the coolest riding gear? Temp wise

So I live in Texas and am getting a bike next month.
I want to get boots, jacket, helmet, what else do I need?
What is the best geat to keep from overheating?
Thanks
Brad
PS I am 6'6"

Old 06-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Default RE: What is the coolest riding gear? Temp wise

You'll probably want to invest in some good gloves too. If you spill, natural instinct is to put your hands down first so...
Let's face it, you're in Texas, your gonna be hot no matter what you're wearing. Try to get a leather jacket that's perforated. Mesh just won't do if you go down. Find a helmet that's got plenty of vents to so air can pass through. I have an Arai and it's amazing for ventilation, even has brow vents on the visor.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:24 PM

I just came back from a trip to TX. I didn't see a single person wearing a jacket. I didn't see a single person not riding a sport bike that wore a helmet. It was so weird seeing that many people not wearing helmets. You didn't list a jacket in your list, and I wonder if that is because you are accustomed to seeing people ride without one.

I don't agree with dragonium25 about the textile jacket. Even though it isn't the same level of protection as leather, it still provides protection. A good textile jacket with CE armored panels would be a reasonable choice to make.

+1 on the gloves.

Since you have to deal with extreme heat, I would suggest resisting the urge to get all black equipment. A white colored jacket with help control the heat. As will a brightly colored helmet. The light colors will also improve visability at night.

If you are a new rider, then I don't think you need to get motorcycle boots. Any boots with a good sole and ankle coverage would do fine.

Remember: No matter how bad *** your bike is, you will always look like a NOOB wearing shorts!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Butt naked !!!!!! Ride fast, so "The Man", don't get you !!!!!!!!!! Gas up first !!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 PM

I live in Phoenix AZ...so for me air flow is key....I have the JR Sonic Perf leather jacket, JR supermoto gloves and Icon Motorhead boots....wear them every day, and its already been over 100 degrees here for quite some time....The jacket flows great, maybe not quite as well as a textile, but I really prefer the leather; even the shoulder, elbow and back protectors are perforated, nothing helps (including no jacket) when your stuck in traffic, but I'd rather sweet than bleed. The gloves are great, and are also perf leather, and I can't say enough about the boots. They look really hot, but the actually flow better than my jacket, the have large mesh screens on them that let the air in...so much so that you can actually feel a breeze...only down side to these boots is if you have stock rear sets....the saw blade factory pegs on my bike tend to make positioning your foot a bit of a challenge on the shift side. Remedy for me will be installed next week when i get my Gilles rearests. PS....don't forget the helmet...trust me spend the extra coin to get a good one that flows, as in the heat that is even more important than the rest of your gear....I have a Shoei RF1000 and much like the boots, you can feel the breeze, and I would not buy any helmet that didn't have a rear exhaust port, you can't get your helmet to flow with vents only on the front....

Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 AM

I also live in AZ, and during these months the heat is a real issue. To keep cool, I use the JR Sahara evap vest. I also use a "wicking cap" under the helmet. Just wet both, and wring out the cap so that it feels dry but it will stay cold for a while. It is also nice that it keeps your helmet from smelling like a gym locker.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:33 PM

I'm with rippn nothing feels so good like a cheap vinyl seat against your hot naked a-ss.