Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

tinted helmet shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinted helmet shield

Hi y'all.

I need your input. Right now I have a clear shield on my silver Shoei. I'm thinking about getting a chrome or dark shield.

My question is, can you see through them when riding at night? What does it look like looking through the chrome during the day, is it gray or dark?

thanks!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: tinted helmet shield

i use an iridium shield during the day -- works great for blocking the sun, but it does make it very hard to see at night -- i switch to clear after sundown.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: rookie600rr

My question is, can you see through them when riding at night?
You can see , but not worth a damn.
If I rode more at night I would be switching back and forth between tinted and clear.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cancel all of that. A Scorpion helmet has "Everclear" night and day visiblity and uv protection that is unmatched. www.scorpionusa.com

Old 09-21-2005, 12:29 AM

I have a mirrored shield for the day. It is like wearing sun glasses. For night time I switch back to the clear. It is way to dark to be riding around at night. Not safe.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy your dark or mirrors lens but be sure to buy a set of comfortable clear lens glasses to go with it. I bought a set of Wiley X Saber glasses with clear lenses to wear under my Shoei RF-1000 with dark smoked lens so when it gets dark out all I do is flip up the lens then I still have eye protection. If I know i am going to be out primarily at night then I flip flop and put my clear lens on my Shoei and wear dark lens Oakley half wires under my helmet. The half wires are very comfortable by the way. Lastly vision by far the most used sense we use when we ride so don't impair it by trying to look good unless you back it up looking good with practicality.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: MapJr

Cancel all of that. A Scorpion helmet has "Everclear" night and day visiblity and uv protection that is unmatched. www.scorpionusa.com

ORIGINAL:Scorpion Sports , Inc .

EverClear no-fog faceshield : Optcally-correct shield with state-of-the art fog-free technology and anti-scratch hardened coating.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: 05Tribal

Buy your dark or mirrors lens but be sure to buy a set of comfortable clear lens glasses to go with it. I bought a set of Wiley X Saber glasses with clear lenses to wear under my Shoei RF-1000 with dark smoked lens so when it gets dark out all I do is flip up the lens then I still have eye protection. If I know i am going to be out primarily at night then I flip flop and put my clear lens on my Shoei and wear dark lens Oakley half wires under my helmet. The half wires are very comfortable by the way. Lastly vision by far the most used sense we use when we ride so don't impair it by trying to look good unless you back it up looking good with practicality.
+1

Or get a good set of Oakleys or other sports-glasses/goggles with the Yellow lenses... these increase clarity and visibility in low-light conditions (they work well on rainy/foggy days, as well as at night).

Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 PM

I prefer a clear shield and sunglasses up here in the Northwest because the lighting changes can be dramatic (from cloudy and overcast to clear and sunny) over a matter of a few hours. Anyhow, do any of you guys notice a polarization effect when using sunglasses behind a clear shield? I find it most distracting during very sunny days and when it gets really bad I have to flip my shield up (not always convenient when cruising 100+ mph).

Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what causes that, but if you've ever noticed when you're wearing Polarized lenses and you look at anything glass (like car windows), you get that weird effect. I definitely think the effect is too distracting to be safe for riding. Seems to me Polarized lenses are specifcally geared for use around water/watersports (boating, fishing, etc....).

Quick Reply: tinted helmet shield