Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Are these gloves okay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these gloves okay?

Hi guys, i'm new to riding, only been riding about 3 weeks now and me being the clueless person i was, i went and bought summer riding gloves and these were fine when i was riding around my area, however now i'm riding long distances it's really become a issue.

My hands today got so cold that the ends of my fingers were stinging in pain, and i was losing feeling in them, kept messing up gear changes etc. It really wasn't safe, so i have to get better gloves.

Bearing in mind i was wearing 3 pairs of gloves, 2 pairs of cotton ones under my summer motorcycle gloves and my hands still got frozen.. So i was looking on ebay (my budgets really low right now since i spent all of it on my bike) and i came across these..

Electric Heated Mens Thinsulate Winter Gloves | eBay

Would they be okay for motorcycle riding? I know they are not developed for it, but they look pretty tough, or am i going to lose my hands if i fall off wearing those?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i use similar (not heated though) for commuting in the mornings when it gets really cold (so cold that i begin to think that id be better off in the car.) my fingers still get cold, just not numb. they are big and bulky, and make it difficult to feel the levers. but once i'm going, there is no need to shift or brake much anyway. better to be warm, frozen fingers cant feel the levers anyway.

if you are looking for warmth and performance, keep looking.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, I would never wear those.

Without any sort of protection, your hands are going to get destroyed if you go down.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Good quality leather riding gloves pay for themselves...so don't skimp. Paired w/ silk glove liners, they work pretty well for cooler weather. One of my favorite pairs of gloves are Icon Mercs. W/ silk glove liners, they are sufficient.

If you can't find a good glove & insert combination, you can always go the heated-grip route. There's kits available to install. I've ridden friend's bikes w/ heated grips & they work great for cold weather.