Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Suomy, Shoei, or Arai

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suomy, Shoei, or Arai

I have narrowed my choice of helmet to one of the Three: Suomy, Shoei, or Arai.

Could EVERYONE please give me THEIR opinions on each of the helmets and tell me what you would go with?

I have done a lot of research on these Helmets, but want to step outside MY box and get some different input.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Retired Mod
Default RE: Suomy, Shoei, or Arai

wow. somebody want to spend some money! lol. these are three of the most reputable helmet manufacturers in the market. all three make great helmets so i think it mostly comes down to what looks best to you. i like the looks of the suomy's the best so there's my vote. have you tried any of them on to see which feels the best to you?

Old 01-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Hey, its my head...You can't put a price on that.

I have tried on the Arai and it seemed to fit good. The problem that I keep running into is all the local shops don't have my size (small).

Sure design is a factor, but for me it is safety first....

Thanks for the reply NINE2NINE

Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: sbv32
Hey, its my head...You can't put a price on that.
and that's how it should be. doctors haven't figured out how to transplant brains yet!

Sure design is a factor, but for me it is safety first....
i totally agree with the safety first issue. but you are looking at helmets that are known to be the best of the best. even the worst of the group will probably be better than 95% of the helmets on the market. just saying go with what looks good to you. and if you already know that the arai fits well, go with that. or buy from a distributor that will let you exchange for a different size if you order the wrong one

Thanks for the reply NINE2NINE
no problem.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:08 PM

Personally I'm a shoei man myself. Like the fit like the look and just an over all great helmet. I got a steal for mine a diabolical 2 rf 1000 for $362. Arai are nice too but I don't see any diffrence between them and my shoei to pay the extra money. Persoanlly the aria name is what sells becuase between those 3 companys theres next to no diffrence among them just personal prefrence.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:43 PM

Go with what fits. Most folks find that one brand fits their particular head better that others. Try on all 3. Select the one that fits and feels best, then choose color and/or graphics from that brand. I have a Shoei head and so mine is the RF1000 with graphics. I've worn theirs since I first started wearing full face helmets - >20 yrs.
Terry

Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM

I`ve always had Shoei`s my brother has an Arai and there very similar but the Arai cuts out a little more wind noise. What clinches it for me is the ease and speed at which I can change my visor over from Dark to light or vice versa in about 30 seconds. The Arai`s visor system is waaaay slower and more fiddly.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Fox
Banned

I currently have two Shoei RF-1000s. They're a tad heavier than my Arai, which I believe was a Corsair model. The Arai was a little to vented for my liking, and I travel a lot at highway speeds which translates into deafening riding! I'm going to reconsider getting another helmet, and prob. going to get an Arai since I really liked the fit, but IMO, earplugs are a must for those helmets! I can ride without plugs using my Shoeis and the noise isn't as bad.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM

Since they don't stock your size it's kinda problem. Helmets really need to be fitted to your head shape. I can barley get a shoei on my head, but arai fits perfect.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 AM

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

i think it mostly comes down to what looks best to you.
I disagree with this statement but you did save it by asking if he tried any helmets on.

Fashion has nothing to do with it and like other members wrote, safety is EVERYTHING! Go to a place that sells these helmets and try all of them on, find what size and brand fits you best then go from there. The cheek area should be snug enough that it scrunches your skin up a bit and keep in mind that in these high end helmets you can replace the cheek pads with better fitting pads.

Also keep in mind that paying 700 bucks isn't necessarily going to get you a better helmet than a 300 dollar helmet...it just gets you lighter materials, changeable and washable padding, better ventilation and visor systems...so don't feel like you'll be less protected if you go with a cheaper helmet.

Quick Reply: Suomy, Shoei, or Arai