Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

(review) Dainese New Delmar Perforated Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (review) Dainese New Delmar Perforated Leather Jacket

I'm in love! Went to Wally World in South Philly with my gf for our monthly stocking of tp and paper towels. In South Philly is the Revzilla store front so I figured I stop in to drool a bit and size up for a new jacket. The guys there said "Wait a sec. We got something to show you". And they came from the back with this:
Name:  20091026_DAINESE_Delmar_Leather_-2.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  18.9 KB
I have an Icon jacket I bought last year that didn't even survive trying it on. Every snap closure broke on opening. The Dainese New Delmar Perforated Leather Jacket is a whole different beast. Nothing about it says cheap (including the price tag). Everything whispers "Quality". The stitching, zippers.. everything. I definitely don't have to worry about the jacket coming apart while taking it off.

Fit:
Well when the guy handed me the jacket, I felt its weight immediately. But once I slipped it on, everything fits so perfect. You know how you can feel the armor in your jacket? Not here. They had a couple show bikes in the store and let me stretch out on one while wearing the jacket. Even in a full tuck, it followed my every position. The armor in the elbows and shoulders staying right where they're suppose to be. Figured cause I was wearing 2 shirts at the time it might be distorting things a bit. So I pulled off my top shirt and tried it in my undershirt (planning for summer t-shirt weather). And it felt the same. Everything fit... perfect.

Looks:
My only prerequisite as far as fashion went was "White" for night visibility. So I deferred to my girlfriend, she being the fashionista in the fam. A showroom full of jackets and the New Delmar got her firm vote. Her only modification was the black & white instead of the pure white. When confronted with the price (and a jacket $500 less as a second choice), she said New Delmar. When I said "Good, you can get it for my birthday", she said "I got the cash right now". So it won the fashion vote hands down.

Protection:
Dainese protection all through. Shoulders have co-injected armor with titanium inserts. Solid impact armor in the elbows. Inserts in the forearm which extend just short of the wrists. The leather is Dainese's "D-Skin" which, according to them, surpasses regular cowhide in strength. I did voice a concern over perforated leather, seeing as a fabric with holes in it can't be as strong as the same fabric without holes. But the perforation is localized in the jacket. Pocket for a Dainese back protector. This jacket makes my Icon feel like a windbreaker they give away when you go to a Phillies game.

Price:
Ouchies. The guys at Revzilla skipped the taxes for me again (solemn oath: all gear comes from them). And I had $10 Zilla cash from buying my boots. So out the door it was $839. Yes, I could have gotten a full suit for the price. But I don't regret the price at all.

Overall:
Dainese got my vote when I got my Quito Leather boots. The New Delmar is just cements it.

Attached Thumbnails (review) Dainese New Delmar Perforated Leather Jacket-20091026_dainese_delmar_leather_jacket_12-500px-12_zoom.jpg.jpg   (review) Dainese New Delmar Perforated Leather Jacket-20091026_dainese_delmar_leather_jacket_05-500px-10_zoom.jpg.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youuuuu sir... just made me want to get a new jacket before the summer...

Thanks for taking your time and describing everything is such details. I'm planning on getting my bike repainted and this white with some black would match nicely.

I tried to find the model on the dainese site. Is this the one? http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi..._uso=45&cat=12

Unfortunately the site isn't functioning correctly. At least I wasn't able to switch colors.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 PM

I love Revzilla, they are GREAT! I wish i could visit the store in person. They have a really good customer service dept and their prices are usually the best on the web. The zilla cash is not bad too, I think i have 10 bucks sitting somewhere..

I've been looking at that jacket since last year. It's pricey, but SO DAMN NICE!!!

Congrats, I'm jealous. So did the GF snag it for your bday?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Solitar6y
I love Revzilla, they are GREAT! I wish i could visit the store in person. They have a really good customer service dept and their prices are usually the best on the web. The zilla cash is not bad too, I think i have 10 bucks sitting somewhere..

I've been looking at that jacket since last year. It's pricey, but SO DAMN NICE!!!

Congrats, I'm jealous. So did the GF snag it for your bday?
She snagged it that day. We need to have a serious discussion about her walking round Philly with a stack in her purse... Or visit Best Buy & Revzilla more often.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
She snagged it that day. We need to have a serious discussion about her walking round Philly with a stack in her purse... Or visit Best Buy & Revzilla more often.
my wife does the same thing but never comes home with a new jacket for me to go ride in matter fact we need to talk about that

Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dainese is top of the line, then A*, then Joe Rocket, then Tecknic and Icon.

Nice review!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
dainese is top of the line, then A*, then Joe Rocket, then Tecknic and Icon.

Nice review!!!!!!!!!!!
Icon will never touch my body again. Brand new Icon jacket and when I went to unsnap it to put it on, every single snap broke. And cause I ordered online, returning it woulda been impossible