Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Question about helmet fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about helmet fit

If I lost 40 lbs do you think that's significant enough for me to wear a smaller helmet?

I have a scorpion medium now and it just seems like it rotates around my head more than it did before..... maybe I've just been wearing it more and have broken it in... that and maybe my cheeks aren't as chipmunk-y to keep it in place. haha

Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes believe it or not, you head also shrink.. Did you lose 40lb?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Yes I did lose 40lbs..

Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kidding. Seriously, see if you can find the same helmet / size somewhere and try it on. That'll tell you if its the padding or a new helmet size

Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To fit properly the helmet shouldn't slide when you shake your head side-side up-down. It should fit snugly and follow all of your head movements. If it rides loosy it has the potential of turning side-ways and actually obscureing your vision (not a good thing).

Apply that and Kuro's good advice to determine if it's a new liner or helmet size.

By the way, grats on the (i hope it's positive) weight change!

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 06-05-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like MadHattr said - you might be able to replace cheek pads if it's just that area - but too much space elsewhere and it might be time to try a new lid on.

Also - Scorpion helmets tend to be a little on the small side - I wear a Medium in HJC and Shoei, and had to get a Large in my Exo-1000.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if you go to a motorcycle show and there is a helmet vendor how accurate the fit is of the helmets there... or if the padding has been smushed all to hell from everyone and their mother trying them on.

If I'm gonna spend the money, I think I might get a shoei or an arai this time around.... I want something lighter than the exo 700... I dunno if the it's the wind buffeting and shifting my helmet around the strains my neck or the weight or both. Probably both. And I'm sure if it fit like it used to, it wouldn't do that quite so much. Hmmm. Also... Anyone know off hand that if most brands mens and womens sizes are universal?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 AM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not aware of there being internal shape differences for men vs. women in helmets. Sizing is done by circumference and oval shape. Does the Scorpion have the right head shape for you? Do you feel it physically touching all parts of your head (not counting cheeks )? If so; great! My experience has been that Scorpion helmets are noticeably round in profile, so if that's the internal shape that fits you best, I'd suggest looking for that first, then search for lighter weight. My head is the other way (long oval; not at all round), so Scorpion helmets give me a BAD headache almost the instant I put them on.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM

I found this:
Scorpion Sports © 2010 Helmet size chart

Just got out of the shower n my hair is all wet... but I'll have to check it out later...

I wonder where I can find more info about different shell shapes. It doesn't give me a headache or anything... I feel that it makes good contact with all parts of my head so I think that aspect is ok.. just slides around a lil more than it used to. And I can kinda feel the helmet and my head doing 2 different things under wind or high speed which used to be more of a bobble head effect... Hmmm.

I saw some people post on here that fox valley cycle in IL has a lot of gear, maybe I'll have to go check them out.

Glad I figured this out before I dumped another 45 bucks or so into a tinted visor. I only want to lose more weight too... so I think this will amplify the problem. Not that big of a deal, but I have noticed it.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something that might help snug up the fit a bit is wearing a bandana on your head. I wear a bandana on my head to keep the interior of my helmet dry but it snugs up the fit nicely.

The Buffs (BUFF® -The Original Multifunctional Headwear-) are great options as well. They can be used as headgear, neck-gators, etc. Very muliti-purpose. I use one as a neck-gator. They are made of a microfiber as well.

Good luck on finding a new helmet.

Quick Reply: Question about helmet fit