Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Question about Arai, Shoei or Kbc etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Arai, Shoei or Kbc etc...

Well it's that time. I'm looking to get a helmet, due to me getting a bike this weekend. I had some cheap 100 dollar helmet last time I rode back in 05, I think it wasHJC and anytime I rode it more than 30 minutes it cut into my ear and was very uncomfortable. I rode my brothers bike last summer and he has an Arai Quantum 2, and I loved it. It was very lightweight and was comfortable riding over an hour.

I guess my question is this. Is there really much difference between the 200-300 dollar helmets and the 400-500 dollar helmets? And can you tell the difference by just trying them on at the store? I might just get them online, since that seems to be the cheapest, but I'd like to try them on before buying. Am I going to wish I had spent the extra money for the Arai/Shoei or will a KBC/HJC (top of their line) helmet be good enough?

Any personal experience and help you can give me will be much appreciated.

P.S. I'm also looking for gloves and a leather jacket.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Default RE: Question about Arai, Shoei or Kbc etc...

I would go with Scorpion. I own a motorcycle shop and sell them along with other brands. I personally push the Scorpion the hardest because they are the best helmet you can get for the money.

Before I started my business I had a Suomy Extreme Gambler....arguably the best helmet on the market....Well, the Scorpion helmets that cast a fraction of what the Suomy costs are VERY close in comparisons.

They are not better than the Suomy due to weight and such but for the difference in price you cannot go wrong with a Scorpion EXO-400 or EXO-700.

PM me if you want a great deal on one.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Just make sure they are Snell approved. All Arai and Shoei are. Not sure about the others. Yeah, it's a big deal, if you care about your head.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM

FYI,

Scorpion is both DOT and SNELL Rated.

Suomy is also certified to British Standards.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM

Definitely make sure it's DOT approved. Snell is a plus. More importantly, make sure the helmet fits. Each manufacturers helmetwill fitdifferently to include differently models of the same brand. The biggest difference I've noticed with pricey helmets is the aerodynamics of the helmet (also ventilation) and convience features like removeable liner. I currently own a Shoei RF-1000 and X-11. Hands down the X-11 is most comfortable helmet I've worn, but that doesn't mean that the less expensive helmets aren't any good. I've met alot of people that swear by EXO-700. Doesn't hurt to try one out.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Id take ECE or whatever approved over Snell.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 PM

I will agree the shoei and arai are well worth the money.I had an HJC and bought an arai rx7 model and it felt twice as light and better ventilation for sure. If you want personal experience, with my arai three years ago I highsided racing doing about 130mph landed on my head never blacked out. I thought the 600 dollars was well worth it and never wear anything but Arai now. HAHA

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 AM

Oh it's worth it...but you get double the satisfaction if you buy that Arai or Shoei (or new Bell Star, woot!) on closeout or at deal time. That way you get a top shelf lid for mid-price change. Now is a great time with so many outstanding merchants making room for new '08 models. If it weren't for the new Bell, I'd pull the trigger on a new X-11 Rainey rep from these guys...getting a $610 helmet for barely $400 makes me feel warm and fuzzy...plus Wayne Rainey is god.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 AM

Well hey thanks for the help guys...I'm just going to try on some helmets at my local place and see what one I like. Then I'll see if I can get a good deal online, but thing is I need it soon...cuz I'm getting the bike this weekend hopefully. And I'm not going to want to wait a week to ride it. I'll definitely check out the scorpions. so is the exo-700 better than the 400?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 AM

I ride street and dirt so I know that helmets vary from manufacture to manufacture. But go try them on and see what helmet fits you best. I'm just going to say that back in 05 I totaled my old bike bad and the arai rx7 corsair wired helmet that I had held up very well. I had a very harsh impact on the left side and it cracked and everything but I was ok. Just walked away with a concussion and battle wounds... So now I stick by them, not to mention it’s a very comfy helmet plenty of vents and all the goodies. Go try on a rx7 corsair and lemme know what you think.

Justen

Quick Reply: Question about Arai, Shoei or Kbc etc...