Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Perf'd leather vs. mesh for Phoenix commuter traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First welcome back to PHX (that's if you take the job), I ride daily (rain/sun{hot as hell}/cold {as cold as 35 degrees} Winter months (Dec - Feb) Joe Rocket MJ23 Jacket, Spring (Feb - Mar) Joe Rocket CBR Textile Jacket, Summer (Mar - Nov) Joe Rocket CBR Mesh Jacket. As far as pants jeans.... cant make up my mind on buying leather pants (type or brand) for track days as well as rides with groups. Boots are currently Joe Rocket will purchase SIDI soon. Gloves also Joe Rocket ....... Helmet (2) Two Arai (1) Icon I really like the fit and feel of the Arai no problems during the summer. Boy I didn't realize how much money I have donated to Joe Rocket...... Hope this can help you......
Again WELCOME BACK TO PHX ...... checkout MEETUP.COM (several good/great groups to ride with MSRP and MAG) also checkout SouthWestRides.COM

Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MZ5
I'm hoping (sorta, at least) that I'll be able to have a 6 - 14:30 schedule. That's what I think it will be; we'll see.
As I read through all the replies, I was going to suggest that this might be your best option. It usually cools down pretty well there overnight, so early AM riding should be comfortable, and you won't hit as much traffic. Going back home is going to be tough in midafternoon, but at least you can jump in the shower as soon as you get home, and not have to deal with being in sweat-soaked work clothes all day.

I used to have a mesh jacket, but now it's perforated leather in warm weather, and an Aerostich Darien in cool, and I'm hopefully picking up a one-piece leather later this week. I'll occasionally wear jeans with kevlar patches, but more often I'll wear cordura overpants or another pair of textile riding pants I got. The overpants are nice because they have full side zippers that I can unzip for a few inches from the top to get a little air flow. Looking at PG's video reminds me that the consequences of skimpy gear are not a joke.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I used to use mesh too, but now I am perforated leather too. They fit better and I feel that armors stay in place better. I don't zip all the way up and sleeves are open in hot days

Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 PM

I just picked up a near new Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh jacket. The venilation is amazing. Feels like a t-shirt when riding. Much cooler than my leather Alpinestars GP.