Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Perf'd leather vs. mesh for Phoenix commuter traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last summer Philly hit 103 one day. I have a Dainese perf leather jacket. Honestly I only noticed the heat when I stopped. But whenever I stopped in traffic (lights, traffic jam) I immediately pulled down the zipper.

Another thing though: I also have Shift kevlar riding jeans and was wearing them that day. When I got home, it looked like I pissed my pants from how soaked in sweat my pants were round the crotch. When the temp hits 103+, nothing short of A/C in a cage is gonna stop the sweating.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 04-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both here in Vegas, but tend to wear my textile / mesh jacket in the summer.

I'm sure that it's not that much cooler, but I seem to get better airflow with the mesh. Generally I dump a bottle of water on myself before I leave, then the increased airflow leads to better cooling all the way home. By the time I get home, I'm usually bone dry again.

I hear the UnderArmor gear works wonders, but I can't bring myself to buy $300 of underwear...

Old 04-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
I have both here in Vegas, but tend to wear my textile / mesh jacket in the summer.

I'm sure that it's not that much cooler, but I seem to get better airflow with the mesh. Generally I dump a bottle of water on myself before I leave, then the increased airflow leads to better cooling all the way home. By the time I get home, I'm usually bone dry again.

I hear the UnderArmor gear works wonders, but I can't bring myself to buy $300 of underwear...
eh only about $200 for summer n winter stuff lol but its worth it!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still thinking about the stinky leather pants... do you guys ever have it professionally cleaned once in a while? How many leather pants do you have?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I am still thinking about the stinky leather pants... do you guys ever have it professionally cleaned once in a while? How many leather pants do you have?
I normally just used frabreeze lol but I a broke bastage lol. Alot of ppl I know take/send theirs to barnicle bills n have them cleaned.

You can also soak em in warm soapy water n then rise n let air dry.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I just read something interesting that I didn't know. It said our body's "operating temperature" is about 98.6 F. Once the ambient temperature goes over, wind will not cool you down. Ventilation works between 80-95, but above that body needs water to cool down.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I just read something interesting that I didn't know. It said our body's "operating temperature" is about 98.6 F. Once the ambient temperature goes over, wind will not cool you down. Ventilation works between 80-95, but above that body needs water to cool down.
yea the air temp needs to be cooler than our bodies. But when you're all wet the wind will cool you all, til you're all dried up anyhow lol

Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I just went riding with my textile jacket, made by same company as my leather. I think I get hot same way as my leather one. Now that I am used to riding with leather jacket, I really didn't like the way this one felt. Very bulky feel.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 AM

no comment on pants, however i am 100 mile to the south, and commute everyday in a perf leather jacket. I always wore a long button up cotton shirt(desk job) under it, this was far more comfortable than a tshirt. it is best for comfort to get a jacket that is not super tight and will allow some air to pass under the armor, otherwise your forearms and back will not cool at all. this is also where you get the most airflow.

I also always wore a coolmax balaclava under my helmet too.

if you work 9-5 commuting with the heat is no problem at all.

lol ive been trying to find something like manly hose for men, to wear under leather pants.... I can buy 2 pairs of slacks(2x$30) for the price of underarmor wtf.