Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Need tips about helmet and gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tips about helmet and gear

Hi guys, i have some questions for more experienced riders.

I have bought my bike some days ago and now i have to buy the gear and a new helmet(i have an old one that i used with my brother's scooter but it's not good for a bike).
I have a 2007/2008 CBR 600 RR in the classic red/black color scheme(italian one). Here's my first question:

-should i find a full matching gear(so a red/black helmet with a red/black suite) or i'll waste too much time?

I've been browsing Dainese and M-Tech websites, some stores etcetera but it seems no-one produces red/black suites..well matching for me is important. The alternative, to me, is to go with a full black suite and a red/black helmet. I just want it to look really good and not just to protect me and have some clown colors on.

The second and third questions are:

- what brands of helmet do you suggest?
- what brands of suites do you suggest?

I've been told to look up X-Lite and HJC(both used in SBK and MotoGP) and they seem good, just wanted to know if there's other alternatives. I'm NOT going with the Jap ones because when it comes to helmet the price rises up a lot for the same quality.

For the suites..i've got my last question(sorry for my english on this one):

- should i buy a full one or the ones you can "cut in two" (don't know the work .-. )?

I've been told that the full ones are more comfortable because the other ones are tighter where you unite them, so some riders told me "buy a full one and a jacket for shorter rides". Fact is i'm not going to the track for at least a year plus my budget isn't that high to permit me to buy both a full suite and a jacket since my dad's paying for it.

Keep in mind there's a Dainese store here that lets me save up to 60% if i don't buy this year's collection(and i don't give a f**k about being up to date with the latest model) so that's my first choice for the suites at the moment.

Thanks in advance for the replies, i'll update you when i'll visit the store

Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate you Dainese store local and 60% off? I really hate you

I wear a Dainese New Delmar jacket. In my opinion, you're going to need a jacket and a suit eventually. A jacket can be easily taken off when you're riding to meet friends at a restaurant where sitting at a table wearing a track suit unzipped to your waist wouldn't be appropriate. I've actually handed my jacket to the coat check girl at places before (and found a phone # in the pocket when I got it back once ). For riding to work / riding around town, I wear the jacket + kevlar jeans. I'm still saving for a full suit (next income tax return prolly)

One thing I'd warn about if you go the 2 piece route: check the track rules where you intend to ride before you buy. Some tracks may require a one piece suit.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Yeah i'm pretty lucky on this side, plus my dad has a friend who rents the van to Simoncelli for the MotoGP transferts, the one with the suits, helmets etc. so he has 30% off on the actual collection.

Yeah i know some tracks doesn't allow you to ride with a two-piece but as i said i won't go to the track until the next year at least so it ain't a problem, plus here there's a lot of circuits fairly near so i won't have problems finding one where i can ride with the two-piece(there's Monza, Mugello, Imola, Franciacorta, Vallelunga and some more).

So you say i should go for the two-piece for comfort issues? In fact i'll ride more around the city, at the lake, on the mountains etcetera so i'll stop in restaurants and such..i'll be more of a moto-tourist for the first months and i think your advice is the best one for the use i do, at the moment, of the bike.

Plus as i said i can buy a suite like this, that seems really good to me(it's two piece) for just 400 dollars(350 euros in Italy): http://store.ducatilodi.com/media/ca...div_nero_1.jpg

And what about the gear matching? Do you know some red/black suites? I can't find any, i think i'll go for the full black suite with a black/red helmet..always thought full black suites are cooler anyway, even tough full red/black matching gear would appear very "racing"

Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both Dainese. I want the Avro race suit but can't justify dropping $1500 this year. Next year, definitely

A jacket + pants combo gives versatility. Like I said, I can still go out to most places meeting friends without having to figure out what to do with a track suit. If I want to do some more aggressive riding in twisties and such, it's a matter of zipping pants to jacket and going. I dunno which is more comfortable. But I have to take in account the versatility too.

Unless you only plan on riding period, never getting off the bike at a destination, then go with the track suit. But if your bike is also going to be a mode of transportation, seriously consider the 2 piece

Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Yeah it will be most for transportation, going to mountain/lake/woods stopping by to take pics, eat in restaurants etcetera. I mean, i'm not going to race on track for a while and also don't want to "race" on the road