Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Leather Racing suit

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Racing suit

Whats up guys,

Do you any of you guys or girls wear leather racing suits on the street? I just ordered a SPIDI NRG 1 piece suit and was going to wear it primarily on the street with a couple of track days here and there. I have never had a full leather suit and was wondering if people think it is odd to where it on the street. By the way I got the grey and black one. I hope it will make me look like Darth Vader. (oh wait I don't have a black helmut...damn)

I also bought a pair of SIDI vertigo corsa air's and those things are awesome. I can't wait to crash. (yeah right)

Old 02-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Default RE: Leather Racing suit

I don't have a suit, but I do have the Joe rocket speed master pants that zip into my blaster 2.0 jacket. Vitually the same idea though. Don't worry about if it looks odd to someone else...at least you know you won't be getting road rash. I even left the knee pucks on my pants, probably won't need them anytime soon, but it couldn't hurt.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full leathers are very common in Europe but here I think some people might think, "what the hell is up with this guy?", but who cares what people think. I am looking at buying an Alpinestars suit primarily for track days and hopefully some day club racing. I will wear it on the street when I go riding aggressively in southern OH where all the twisties are.

For local riding depending on my mood I have a par of Alpinestars Bat pants that I wear with my Alpinestars One to One jacket. It’s incredible the extra confidence that kind of protection gear will give you, so much you will have to fight to remember to stay within your riding limits.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:07 AM

I think it would just make you look more proffesional as a rider. I always wear my gear when I ride but my pants cant be seen. I wear them under jeans.

Also like 05Tribal said, You will have to fight yourself to stay in your limits. I normally do stay in my limits but all suited up, its a little bit harder to say no to those knee draggin turns and those monster long wheelies.

Daniel Thompson

Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 AM

Leather suits tend to be very hot to wear even on mild temp days. All you can do is try it out. I personally don't wear but a t-shirt or sometimes a pullover when I ride. I have an Alpine stars jacket with liner and armor but I havent had many chances to wear it since i bought it.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:23 AM

I just got my two piece suit plan to got to the track and cause a little havoc on the street. If you get pulled over on the street with a suit on a cop is probably happy/shocked that you stopped. I ride with everything(gloves, boots, jacket, full face) so when i stop I usally get treated with some respect even though I was Crusing at buck.[sm=loser.gif] Yeah I don't run.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:19 AM

OH YA !!!!!!!!!!!! FULL leathers!!!!!!!!!!! on the street?, you bet!!!!!!!!!!! this stuff ,is to keep you alive, and not lacking indisciminate chunks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is interesting to read all forum's blogs, about full suits, 2 pc, even, any leather(stigma). when i think about the humanity (mine ) of skid'n down the hiway, by virtue of my lilly white butt's ability, to come out unscathed... i cringe!!!!!!!!!!! O+, please!!!!!!! My first suite last summer, a teknic 1pc.Yes, i will upgrade... in the meantime, i wear it!!!!!!!!!! i KNOW, I will survive a crash, better w/ it!!!!! Gloves, boots, armour, lids... the best i can get, and alway saving for better.
I ride w/ silly american made motorcycle people too, and always laugh, when they say they wear leather, for "protection", but don orange peeling size skid lids, and are mad " the man " makes 'um, do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK... if you dont tell anyone .... i'l give you a fantastic way(cheap too) to be able to wear your perforated summer suit, year around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 650$ GORTEX LINERS!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!! OH, i said cheap.... I went to my local ukranian thrift store, they will look at you, w/a "wanting to be helpfull, but distant look", if you say you," liners, for my leather suit, please," SO.... say "ladies silk lounge wear,please!!!!!!!!!!!! OK,OK< quit your gufaws now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qualifier needed!!!!!! I'm 6'4" 275, Long siver hair and beard (rabid octapus, at 140!!!)both, to my nippys, a dead ringer for "harry Henderson" enough said. BUT, think about it... long befor gortex, silk, is what pilots, mtn. climber, exstreme weather people used.... still, silk suitliners, over 2 bills, on ebay millitary... ready for new found respect, for my retail therapy prowess?????.... 4$, tops and bottoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this stuff wicks great, blocks wind, w/ a vengance!!!!!!!!! they are always found in large enough sizes (the "lounge" part), mine are 3x, suits slide on and off, like a fried egg on teflon!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY, get a thrasher pair, and make boot liners, you'll never struggle to get those skinny *** italian boots on again!!!!!!!!! i have worn them all winter, down to 15f,125+, under alot of different gear, always smilingly toasty!!!!!! Ripp'n

Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM

What about thin polypropylene under a set of full leathers?

Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 AM

05 T, Yup thant would be great for the warmth, but my 1st consideration was wind block capability,BRRRRRR, I'ts cccold in E. WA!!!!! I got to tell ya, on the "warm days" 40f+, you might see a harley or two, maybe. But all I ever see, in the cold,down to 20f is HONDA RIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!! NO KIDD'N.
Oh, by the way, my pattented way of checking the breathability factor, is to simply streatch a portion of "test fabric" 'tween your fingers, and give it a huff and puff!!!!!!! ( the Ukrainian thrift shop employees, now follow me around!!!) New enough (now) has got breathable wind proof liners (wind breakers) jackets for sale. the breathable thing is what i look for too, as this may indicate a higher end product. Sweaty+ cold = miserable, ARRRGH!!!!!!!!! New enough leather is so user friendly, and always steer me right!!!!! Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!!!! Ripp'n

Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 PM

spidi suits are big around the waste, but it's cool, cause i'm growing into mines now. i wear my 2 piece dyno to commute...but not wear jeans and textile riding pants over them now...and mang...wearing jeans over leathers? that's straight up swamp *** time mang! make sure it's not khakis cause you can see the thong sweat.

best to gear up on the streets mang...especially during commute. i can see like a slow ride to church on sundays cool, but if commuting and canyon...FULL MANG! FULL!
cause lots of foolios out there...in cars and as i saw this morning, on bikes too!